1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Make or break for JVG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sane, Jul 13, 2004.

?

Judgement season?

1. No, give him more time.

77 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. Yes, with this team, he should be able to significantly improve us.

89 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. Sane

Sane Member

We heard some rumblings last season about how some people may be unhappy with JVG. He's had one season under Yao. Now he has arguably one of the top 5 players in the league as well.

If we don't improve drastically, does JVG get the axe? If we don't improve at all on last season's win total, and don't make it past the first round, is he going to get "sacked"?

Personally, I think he shoudl go unless we see DRAMATIC improvement. New York seemed to get stagnant and demottivated after JVG's second season. I don't want thi team to becoem tooo bogged down,a nd I believe 2 seasons of JVG is enough defense and discipline to instill that "culture" into this team's core.

It's too bad Rudy is with the Lakers now, because I would have loved for hi mto come back after JVG's second season and lead us to the top. Oh well. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing our former arch-nemesis george Karl take this ship over.

Back to JVG..... Is this his last chance?

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

JVG will be gone if he isn't meeting the expectations of this team, period. Doc was saying how Les/JVG has some arguments last season and how he could be gone.

If JVG doesn't meet expectations, if he can't find balance btwn offense/defense, if there is an early playoff exit, JVG will be gone.

3. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I say 50 wins and he should be given another season as long as we continue to improve...and the improvement doesn't have to be that significant.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What rumblings, exactly? We heard that Steve didn't like him and I think maybe he pisses off the staff on occassion, but I don't recall Les ever being mentioned as having a problem with JVG.

If the team completely falls apart this year, then he deserves to get canned. But, I seriously doubt that will happen.

5. Sane

Sane Member

I don't have a search function, however, I do recall that him and Les do have problems.

It depends on how you define "completely falls apart."

If we repeat what we did last year, and it becomes clear that he can't really coach offense, then does he really deserve to be canned?

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If you cant win with Tmac/Yao then you deserve to get canned. JVG knows this. We all know it. It is a challenge, but an exciting one.

This is a big season for our big 3.

JVG- has to take this team to the next level with the talent infusion in McGrady

McGrady - has to prove that last season was fluke and that he can take his game up another notch, play with a low post big man, play smothering defense and up to his abilities.

Yao - keep improving. Show more aggressiveness. Take a more leadership role. Show signs of dominating and the 'want' to dominate.

A critical eye will be on all!

7. Sane

Sane Member

Don't forget that there's an extra team in the league meaning an extra 2 games, correct? Or do we play less games against other teams?

If we just add games, then we need to add 2 wins to the projection.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I haven't heard anything about the schedule changing. We'll simply play some teams less

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

As things CURRENTLY stand with this team, JVG should be able to get between 48-53 wins out of this team. That should be enough for them to make the playoffs once more. After that, it's a crapshoot. My feelings are that they will need much better personnel than is currently on the roster in order to compete in the playoffs in order to get out of the 1st round. Denver, SA, Phoenix & Utah have made major strides in getting better this offseason and they will be our competition in the playoff hunt.

Acquiring players is not JVGs job, it's Dawson's. As I written MANY times before, CD has done a less than horrible job of putting together a team around the key players and this year is shaping up to be no different. So far he's put together a team with McGrady, Yao, JJ and bunch of guys named Herb. Now, if or should this team falter due to whatever reasons, who do you feel should get blame: JVG or Dawson? The answer to that question will be the key to determining JVGs fate.

10. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Actually, JVG won the battle with Stevie, which was a vote of confidence in Jeff. But, I think the signing of TMac and Rudy going to LA will insure that JVG stays another 2 seasons.

The only thing that could change that, is if Phil Jackson comes a courting after a year of fishing.

As long as they were paying both Rudy and JVG, I think there was the definite possibility of yanking JVG and letting Rudy take over. But now that he's gone, and they've saved their money, I doubt that JVG would be let go before his contract is over.

I think that JVG will be given 2 years to bring this team together. As long as there are glimpse of what could be to come, I think most people will give him time to develop this team. After that, THEN you might be looking at another story. I also think that what additional players are brought in, could determine that patience as well.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Denver has yet to add anyone to the team, maybe Martin, but Nets seem pretty confident that they will keep him.

SA hasn't added anyone new to the team except Barry, and I don't think that has officially gone down yet. Other than that, the SA team hasn't changed a bit.

Phoenix adding Nash to the mix will really make things interesting. But they still were one of the worst teams in the league last year.

Utah's aquisition of Boozer was nice, but the 6yr 68M was a HUGE price to pay. They may have had a suprising season last year, but I still think we are a class a head of them.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

There was SPECULATION by posters. There wasn't any real report out there.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

everyone is saying the team is SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year
    why should we not see SIGNIFICANTLY better results?

Rocket River

14. Toast

Toast Member

This will be his first year after being able to start assembling HIS team. No way is he canned after this season. NO WAY.

This will be the first REAL year of JVG ball. I'm very curious to see what he can do. How many of Rudy T's players are still on this team? Yao + Mo? Is that it?

15. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

The poster was
    Oilpere or The infamous Doc. One of the 2.

16. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

What if TMac isn't all that? Do we still hold JVG responsible?

What if we can't get a PG to lead this team and have to use Lue, do we blame JVG for that?

If TMac continue to shoot 40-42% and we have to start Lue, I just don't see how we will be much better than last year.

We really have to see what we signed and watch a few games to see how the new players played before we can answer this question.

Maybe after 30 games.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

what id Steve has Migraines
    do you blame him for that?

What if Mo T blows his Achilles . . do you Steve for that?
    No Power Forward help? Only on year with a decent small forward?

remember what JVG said. . NO EXCUSES

in this bbs yes. . . no one states those season
    all they know is 'no playoffs in 5 yrs'

Rocket River

18. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Rudy T (a coach) retired (let go) because we didn't win and the reason was "it's the coach's fault".

Francis (a player) was traded (let go) because we didn't win and the reason was "oops, we meant it was the player's fault."

So if we don't win next year, it's the coach's turn to take the blame?

19. edc

edc Contributing Member

Doc speculated based upon a "heated" argument Van Grumpy and Les apparently had on either the practice court, or the floor of the Toyota Center, within earshot of players and staff.

20. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

No Comment.

#20 Almu, Jul 13, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2004