1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Majority Leader Joe Manchin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Jun 4, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good point.

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Silent Sinema stresses Dems as they race to pass Manchin-blessed deal

Almost every Senate Democrat is locking arms to push their $700 billion-plus climate, tax and health care bill past the chamber’s strict rules for avoiding a filibuster. Kyrsten Sinema is still a question mark.

The Arizona Democrat has not commented on the legislation and isn’t expected to do so until she reviews the text and the rulings from the Senate parliamentarian, according to her spokesperson. At the moment, with the package set to reach the floor as soon as the middle of next week, her timeline for reaching a decision is uncertain.

Sinema previously expressed support for addressing climate change in a party-line measure and struck a deal with Democrats last year to lower prescription drug costs. But she’s also resisted at least one provision in the bill: closing what’s known as the carried interest loophole, which currently allows certain financial firms to pay lower tax rates on their earnings.

The deal between Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), announced Wednesday, surprised most caucus members, many of whom found out about it via Manchin’s press release. Senate Democrats remain confident they’ll have all 50 members, including Sinema, in the end.

Still, one person who spoke to Sinema described her as “frustrated” at not being looped in, while another person who talked to her said she was “totally shocked.” And Republicans think she’s their only chance at stopping the deal.

“She was not consulted,” said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), who worked with Sinema last month to pass a bipartisan gun safety bill and lambasted Manchin repeatedly over the past 24 hours. By contrast, he added, “I know I can trust her when she tells me something. I’m beginning to think I can’t trust other people around here when they tell me something, because they so routinely lie about it.”

she said that a potential deal with Manchin “already has enough tax reform options to pay for it.”

“There’s a few rocks in the river in front of us because every senator, myself included, has something that I wanted in this package that’s not in it,” observed Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.). “Getting through the process from here to completion is going to be an interesting run. But I’m optimistic we will get there.”

And some don’t think Sinema has any other option but to support the deal in the end. Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.) said “her state is going to need her on this” and she “politically doesn’t have a choice.”

In addition to the whip count, passing the package by next week without a single GOP vote won’t be easy. Democrats are already diving into a behind-the-scenes scrub to ensure the bill complies with the special budget rules that allow them to evade a filibuster. But that slog could eat up pivotal time over the next week — and result in the nonpartisan Senate rules referee knocking out portions of the proposal.

And all that could play out in real time, with Democrats forced to litigate parts of their marquee party-line bill against Republican challenges as it’s being considered on the floor. There’s also the unlimited so-called vote-a-rama spree, where any senator, including Sinema, can seek to change the bill by offering amendments.

In a sign that Republicans will put up a tough fight against the package, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Democrats have produced “an absolute monstrosity, and we’re going to be really aggressively in opposition.”

Rest of the article:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/28/democrats-climate-tax-health-care-bill-recess-00048459

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If I had to bet I would say Sinema supports it as there is a lot in it that she’s previously supported. Of course every Senator likes attention and Sinema is one of the most attention seeking senators and I guess she will push for some other concessions.

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You're right, she will come around I believe but another hurdle will be if the senate parliamentarian gives the green light to the package under reconciliation. She stripped out the $15 min wage in 2021 and this may be a no go. We'll see...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Joe Manchin goes full Mr. Bojangles as he attempts to dance around his many major flip flops with regards to his support for this tax hike, pork spending, regulation increasing and job reduction bill. He is not very persuasive here and this could be a problem for others on the fence with regards to certain elements of this bill. Video at the link:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...out_voting_for_new_tax_increases_why_now.html

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Close your eyes and he sounds just like Bon Jovi

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, I saw that as well, it was very odd, makes me wonder if he is not eyeing a presidential run.

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, that's how I see it if she does not vote for it she will not get reelected.

ROCKSS, FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If they didn't include sinema, then they got something on her for them not to take her seriously.

I'll be pissed if they concede taking off the tax hikes though.

ROCKSS and Andre0087 like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’m guessing some sort of deal is in the works for Sinema. I think she’s probably not happy that she wasn’t consulted so there will probably be some other legislation that we see her featured on.

One thing to note that while Manchin and Sinema are often lumped together their motivations are different. Manchin definitely seems like more if a deal maker and for all of the criticism has put up proposals. Sinema is more of a mystery and seems to have internalized the idea of being a maverick. That said she originally got into politics as a Green and has so expressed concern on issues of Climate Change.

ROCKSS, jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

If Sinema votes for this, her credentials as a principled moderate maverick, independent of the party agenda, goes up in flames. If she does not vote for this, the Democrat left mob will move to destroy her, because that is who these people are, it is what they do. Either way, her career is seriously on the line here.

#132 MojoMan, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

lol
    • You are ignoring content by this member.

Nook, jiggyfly, ROCKSS and 1 other person like this.
  14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Some of their motivation may be the same though. They are D Senators from R states. As much as some Ds hate on them, both may be faithfully representing their constituents.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. Invisible Fan

Womp womp coal.

I heard there are gas and electric provisions for W. Va, but have not seen reporting on the final bill.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. Invisible Fan

It's a "tax increase" in the sense the IRS will have more funding (and litigating) to collect their dues. Might also mean you don't have to wait 3 hours to talk to a tax officer.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ir...udit-taxes-middle-class-joe-biden-11659477320
    I don't think this part is a bad idea. If you're rich enough, then you can hire your own accountant. Maybe shitty ass TurboTax will cost twice as much from consolidation, but you can still run that crap.

Pretty much 80% of Americans would likely be fine with the IRS preparing a return for you, then giving you a month or two's worth of time to dispute it. The voluntary system is a headache for most Americans and is a hidden "tax" for spending money on an accountant or Turbotax.

The bill does, however, provide $15 million to study a bad Elizabeth Warren idea. An IRS task force will have nine months to deliver a report on the feasibility of the IRS running its own “free direct efile tax return system.” America has a voluntary tax system that lets taxpayers determine their correct amount of tax before the IRS checks it.

Sen. Warren wants to create what would be a federal H&R Block that assesses tax liability for taxpayers. Taxpayers would presumably have to appeal if they disagree, and who knows how long that would take.​

#140 Invisible Fan, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.