1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major US Gov Study says Climate Change will shrink US economy and kill thousands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regardless hurricanes are not the biggest problem with climate change in my opinion - although flooding events we've seen in the past few years have been catastrophic the connection to climate change isn't clear. Most of what I read seem to indicate that climate change makes hurricanes wetter and dump more rainfall from storms. The higher intensity is less of a concern as it's rarely the wind damage that is the biggest issue.

More concerning is drought conditions and coastal flooding that arise from increased co2

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I would think that Decommissioning/Dismantling Existing Cities, Building/Moving Infrastructure, Re-Engineering, Building New Smart Cities, Mass Migration, Re-population, etc... would all be great for a new economy in the long term. The California Gold Rush was a huge boon to the world economy but terrible for native americans of the area. African American migration North from the South was economical very stimulating for educated blacks and their families leaving the economically deprived south. So at least recently in this country it has been a boom instead of a bust. I don't see why that wouldn't happen again.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'm not sure how dire this is, it claims a 10% reduction in GDP over 80 years, which is slightly above 0.1% per year, the costs to america to have an impact on climate change given China's actions, would probably run closer to 0.5%-1% per year (i'm talking a wholesale change that would actually impact the global climate direction, not the transition to cheaper technologies that might be renewable as would happen under any situation).

Those predictions aren't dire at all, if they're true, then the correct course of action is to do nothing but let business take its course, is this one of those fake news things?

#43 Aleron, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

the temperature of the US has gone up less than one degree Celsius in a century. how beneficial that is i have no idea, but the first part of the statement is undoubtedly true.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Where did you get this information?

According to this data:https://www.statista.com/statistics/500472/annual-average-temperature-in-the-us/
    1920: 51.01F
    2017: 54.58F

That is more than 3 degrees. Also do you even have any remote idea of the energy required to alter the entire average temperature just one degree for the mass of air of the lower atmosphere within the area of the United States?

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that link is paywalled

8. fchowd0311

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. tallanvor

First off, Celsius is not Fahrenheit.

Secondly, the data comes from the NOAA's national climate data center.

[​IMG]

Thirdly , I cant tell you how wrong it is to use two cherry picked data points when measuring change over time like you just did. The chart above should show you how awful it is to do what you did.

#50 tallanvor, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  11. fchowd0311

[​IMG]

Hmm, my trendline has a slope of 1.51 degrees per century. I didn't pay attention to the plot tools the first time and didn't notice it had a toolbox to include a trend line.

From just visually looking at the graph, you can see a more consistent rapid change from 1970 moving forward. The trendline for just that range would have a Rsquared value closer to 1.

Anyways, the change in energy for just one degree of temperature change for the entire mass of air in the lower atmosphere for a region as massive as the United States is massive and has a tangible impact.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I wasn't going to say anything but when I played with the graph on the site you linked to, the trend is basically flat from 1895 to 1995, then spikes sharply. Flatten the vertical axis of the graph and you'll see it more clearly.

temp trend line u.s. avg .jpeg

13. fchowd0311

Trendlines become less reliable as the Rsquared value approaches 0.

That trendline from 1895-1995 seems rather weak with a low Rsquared value from the eye test. A strong trendline seems to occur between 1970 and the present.

At the end of the day, an increase of 1.5 degrees in temperature over such a large region is a rather significant change.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I get that. but I think it's hard to say there's been a 3 deg C increase in temps over any time period with any confidence as to why--are we looking at climate? weather? sunspots? better instrumentation? urban heat island effect? etc

15. fchowd0311

Ya, no one is stating that this graph explains why we are seeing an increase.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. tallanvor

you should run on this.

'if you don't surrender to the government large portions of your income, your children's children will grow up in a United States that is 1.5 degrees Celsius hotter!!!!!'

So what is this event in the 70s that you feel led to an uptick in temperature change?

17. fchowd0311

I agree, in your narrow strawman of my argument, convincing the general public over 1.5 degrees in average temperature change in our country is a grave threat is a foolish endeavor. The average citizen won't realize the various levels of impact especially when you actually include the entire planet. I mean people are already b****ing about migration patterns currently.

The federal government is propping up oil and coal artificially. Does your libertarian views get irked by that at all?

In the long run, the monetary cost of climate change over the next century is going to be significantly higher than the monetary cost in investment to lessen our impact.

18. tallanvor

I don't approve of the government propping up any marketplace. For example all the tax breaks for renewable energy.

Let me get this straight though. You believe that if the government didn't interfere in the marketplace that the country would not be running on coal and oil? Is that really your claim? Such a claim defies all understanding of how energy efficient fossil fuels are.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'll believe this is a serious problem when the people who tell me it's a serious problem start acting like it

Skin In The Game

20. fchowd0311

Is everything in binary terms for you?

Unlike you, I believe that in circumstances where the motivations of quarterly profits harms society as whole due to short shortsightedness, government intervention is applicable. So yes, I want to government to artificially prop up renewable energy investments and it wouldn't interfere with my principles.

You being silent on the government propping up coal and oil is contradictory to your principles.