1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major Changes Needed This Off Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, May 27, 2015.

1. toby

toby Member

don't need a new coach. just an additional demanding/enforcing/defense oriented assistant.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I like Jeff Teague soooo...somehow trade the 18th/TJones(dk why they would)/& filler

Then pry Millsap away in free agency. Then ATL would be Morey'd

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That would be awesome but there isn't much of a reason for the Pacers to move him.

4. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Definitely wouldn't mind any of those shooters and Scola!

5. hakeemthagreat

Subpar? The guy basicslly laid down for GS. 13 turnovers on 12 shots, in a elimination game where you gave absolutely no effort defensively. Key word, EFFORT

6. dustin999

dustin999 Member

We shouldn't hang our hats too much on 2nd seed in the west or making the WC finals. We were a Clippers implosion away from not making it past the 2nd round, and a Spurs implosion away from being the 5th seed in the west. I know good luck bestows all championship teams, but we needed 2 major screw ups by other teams over the last month to get the seeding and advance to the WC finals.

That said, I'm for a coaching change. We have more talent than any team we played. Our rebounding, passing, and just the basic fundamentals are missing. I love McHale and think he was great for what we needed, but right now, we need someone who is disciplined, someone who will get onto Harden when he's partying with Drake after going down 0-3 in the WC finals, someone who will yell at Smith, Howard, and Jones when they're sitting around watching shots instead of boxing out.

We could use another point guard, I'm all for that (not Rondo please), but we have to master the fundamentals like boxing out, and we need the discipline of a championship calibre team.

It's not hard to see why Steve Kerr is successful. His team is a very strong, fundamentally sound team, and he knows a thing or two about discipline and hard work having played with Jordan and under Papavich and Jackson.

7. hakeemthagreat

Dunlevy or Bellinelli would be THE guys I want a shooting 3's for us. Gerald Green would actually be a upgrade over Brewer. I would be happy with either 3. Great post

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Couldn't disagree more and I think it's blasphemous to call for a coaching change right now. We can play what-ifs all day but the bottom line is that we won 57 games and you can say the Clippers imploded, but we played excellent basketball the last 2.25 games of that series.

You have to know your personnel and Harden and Dwight are not guys that need to be "yelled" at. These are grown men, not high school players. Very few NBA coaches are yellers and there is a reason for that. You treat your players like grown men. Very few would get away with screaming not named Pat Riley.

Get rid of McHale right now and you completely destroy the chemistry of this team, and risk losing Dwight and Harden down the road.

Also, I respect Steve Kerr but they clearly have a superior roster with shooting at the 1-4 positions (all time great shooting at 1/2), good interior defense, and an elite playmaker in Steph Curry.

9. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I like the team, if healthy.
    BEv and Dmo make a big difference. We lacked defensive pg, and a Pf that can get his own shot in the playoffs, that's what these two guys bring.
    There's no need for drastic changes. Maybe a pg that can hit the 3.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Seen a fair number of "Dwight is the post season MVP" type threads, and of course plenty of Harden "hate" type threads.

Which is confusing as all hell to me? yes, Harden had a bad game 5.

And yes, all else being equal, Dwight is certainly a NET positive.

BUT, all else ISN'T equal.

For all of Dwight's positives, his flaws are apparent:
    - Pretty useless offensively
    - Yet still "requires" touches in the post-up game
    - Can't hit free throws
    - Tendency to get frustrated himself (frankly, more so than Harden).. ti seems fashionable today to say at least he played with effort... i guess... and stupidity... and the inability to do anything when he was the superstar on the court... see the gameflow last night. The difference in teh game is both Harden's horrible performance AND the 10-0 run at the beginning of the second quarter when Harden was out and McHale tried to run the offense through Dwight stupidly.
    - Gets paid $21.5 million next year
    - Played only 41 games during the season. At 29.5, he might be entering a period of diminishing returns given the injuries have started. Hard to tell with big men... Hakeem was at his best in his early thirties. Duncan is still amazingly good. But Dwight doesn't have their skill-sets.

Let me be clear. This isn't a "hate" Dwight post. If DM can put together the pieces to win a championship next year and beyond, while holding onto Dwight.. go for it. And frankly, there is probably 99.9% chance that Dwight is on the team next year.

But, if nobody's feelings were hurt... if it didn't make DM a pariah with agents or players viewing Houston as a destination, would you try and trade Dwight? Would that be a major change to consider.

Here's a random hypothetical trade with Denver
    Houston out: Dwight, TJones
    Houston in: Ty Lawson, JJ Hickson, Jameer Nelson

Why does Denver do it? they may not, especially if they are all aboard the Jusuf Nurkic bandwagon... but it seems like the marriage with Lawson will end soon, and this gets them as good return as they can expect.

This would save the Rockets $3.5 million in salary cap space... and another $3.2 million if Jameer Nelson opted out.

You now have cap space to try and sign Love, Aldridge or DeAndre Jordan, with the ability to make more cap space to further flesh out the roster. Or in an ideal world, where the trade is made, Jameer opts out, and you find ways to clear out more cap space. Say Harden ($15.7), Ariza ($8.2), Capela ($1.2), Lawson ($12.4), Hickson ($5.6) and DMo ($2.3) ... that's about $45.5 million total. Leaving you maybe $21 million of cap space. Go get Love or Aldridge.

Key Roster:
    PG: Lawson
    SG: Harden
    SF: Ariza
    PF: Aldridge/Love/Hickson
    C: DMo/Capela/Hickson

You'd like to add a solid defender at center to that.

----

Again, if DM can get a Love/Aldridge type player, keep Dwight, and add some offense in the backcourt, then by all means, that's a solid route.

But if Dwight is going to continue to "demand" touches in the post, if Harden being out means the offense becomes a through-Dwight type thing... then that's NOT good, and won't work, and Harden will continue to be variable deep in the playoffs...

11. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

We need someone who can consistently hit 3's

aka the GOAT Luke Babbit

12. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Trade #18+#32 up into lottery pick to select Myles Turner

Trade Jones + Papa + Llull's right + 16' 1st pk for George Hill

Trade Johnson + Prig for Dunleavy(S&T)

re-sign: Bev, Smith, Brewer, Terry, McDaniel

Vet. Min.: Scola, Turgkolu

Howard, Capela, Turner
    DMo, Smith, Scola
    Ariza, Dunleavy, Turgkolu
    Harden, Brewer, McDaniel
    Hill, Beverley, Terry

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Dude has started 95 games in his career. This season, he only played In 3O games or so. Nerve damage to his leg and a collapsed lung all In 1 season and he's 23.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

What are you trying to say? He's young enough to recover and improve or he's injury prone?

15. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Not major changes.

We need to send our entire team to free throw training camp. Other than that, we also need a starting point guard that is not a grand parent (no diss to jterry).

16. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

I think there's a really good chance were going to sign dunleavy.