1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major Changes Needed This Off Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, May 27, 2015.

1. eman

eman Contributing Member

Upgrade PG: Let's try Llull. Trade Prigioni, Jones, and Dorsey for Greivis Vazquez. Gives us a couple tall combo-type PGs to run pick and roll EVERY half-court possession. NEVER post Dwight, for the love of basketball.

Upgrade PF: Love, LMA, Anderson, just dunno the money possible. Losing TJ would be addition through subtraction, at least. Maybe Capela can develop a little Timmy D-bank shot and play a little PF?

Any of you capologists know if we could do this?:
    Llull, Vazquez, Johnson, vet min Terry
    Harden, KJ
    Ariza, Brewer
    ???FA, DMo
    Howard, Capela

2. autoprt

autoprt Member

i came to pay respects to the rockets for the good season and really wanted to see them play the cavs but maybe next year. i know we don't need kyle korver we have enough people who play lights out regular season and disappear in the regular season.

3. toby

toby Member

Jeff Van Gundy as an assistant coach/defensive coordinator.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Mike Dunleavy and Paul Pierce are both potentially free agents that could be had for MLE dollars (or maybe less, who knows.) Both shot better than anyone on our team from 3. Mo Williams isn't a consistently dead eye 3 point shooter, but he's generally pretty good.

If you can't upgrade over Bev, I'd take a Bev/Mo combo at the 1. If you could add Mo Williams, Mike Dunleavy, maybe Luis Scola or Boozer as veteran minimum guys at the 4 that would be a nice offseason that would not require you to move Capela or DMo.

Bev/Mo Williams/Terry
    Harden
    Ariza/Dunleavy
    Dmo/Smith/Scola
    Howard/Capela

The only thing you'd need to find is someone who can you backup minutes at the 2 because in that situation I doubt Brewer would stick around for such a limited role. Replace Dunleavy with Paul Pierce and I'm fine with that too. Pierce can even play the 4 in small lineups.

There are definitely good upgrades out there to be had without star chasing. Morey has to do it.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Draft a PG with #18 and a backup 7-foot center with #32.

If possible, resign Brewer, Smith, Beverley and Terry.

Do not trade Howard, Harden, Ariza, D-Mo, Capella.

If Morey feels compelled to show everybody he is doing his job by making some trades, let him wheel and deal the rest, although I hope he holds on to T-Jo for at least another season.

My starters for next season are Howard, D-Mo, Ariza, Harden and Beverley. My key reserves are Smith, Brewer, Capela, Jones and the new PG. The new center drafted at #32 gets to spend quality time with the Vipers.

Terry is there for leadership and a change of pace.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If you aren't adding even a good backup player to this team than you just saw the ceiling of what we can do.

This team as currently constructed can COMPETE WITH, but probably not advance to the finals over Golden State or a healthy OKC next year. You have to upgrade. It doesn't have to be a superstar, but you have to upgrade.

7. apugh832

apugh832 Member

Wishful Thinking

Just wishful thinking...

I would love to bring Deandre Jordan home. Obviously the only way that would be possible is if HE says he wants to play in Houston, then we could possibly work out a sign & trade deal, sending Dwight Howard to LA in return. Win win for both parties. We add a TRUE rim protecting enforcer, Clippers still have a solid big. CP3 might be able to help Dwight as they continue to compete for a championship. I just thing Deandre's toughness and motor with his willingness to play pick and roll and mobility to get up and down the floor would be big time!

After watching this post season, my preference is definitely to re-sign D-Mo over T. Jones. Jones has value so i think we should look to move him and get something in return, whether that is trading for a PG or adding a pick in return.

Addressing the PG situation, I understand we need a point guard with SPEED. A point guard that can get beat his man living in the paint creating plays for the spacers around him, and score at the rim, but at the same time has the ability to CONSISTENTLY knock down shots consistently from the perimeter...who can add that type of value??? The RFA Brandon Knight.

Knight is a combo guard with speed, feel, and nice touch on his shot from the perimeter. I think he is a guy that can go win you games late when needed and could possibly be a perfect backcourt compliment to harden. Speed from the top and ability to live in the paint/score at the rim is the area I believe needs to be addressed, I think Brandon Knight has the best package of guards available...obviously trading for a guy like Teague, Schroeder, or Lawson would work as well but I think a Knight/Harden backcourt is as explosive as it comes.

Imagine a starting 5 of...

Brandon Knight
    James Harden
    Trevor Ariza
    Donatas Montiejunas
    Deandre Jordan

THAT'S BIG TIME!!!

Definitely want to re-sign Brewer, the way he competes nightly and his ability to score at the rim is VALUE. I believe we landed a very good piece as a backup SG in KJ McDaniels, should be interesting to see him in summer league, he should be ready to really contribute next year if we are able to sign/keep him. I love Capela, and his rookie contract he plays on he will improve this summer. I wish the coaching situation could be adjusted, but seeing how McHale just signed an extension that probably is not a real possibility.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Unless the Rockets bring in a quality reserve with the MLE and manage to draft another Sam Cassell with the #18 pick, that probably isn't enough. Not unless the Warriors are unlucky with injuries next year or lose too many key rotation guys due to being way over the cap. I'm not opposed to rolling with that roster one more season if there simply isn't a quality PG available via trade without gutting the team, but Morey has to do whatever he can to find a legit starter at that position. Bev is not good enough.

9. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Idk if I can handle another off season like last year

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dwight just killed JOrdan, and all I see is people clamoring for Jordan? Why because he dunks real hard off passes by CP3? Dwight would be doing the same goddamned things if a great PG was feeding him all game long.

Fire McHale, Bring in a quality PG, Add 3 point shooting and hit the ground running next year.

Dont blow up this core!!

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'm all for upgrades, but it will be difficult to upgrade the overall performances of Ariza, Brewer and Smith. D-Mo and Capela are emerging players. I was never a fan of Ariza, but I became one this year.

Actually, I think a healthy roster from this year would have given you the COMPETE you seek. However, as much as I love PB's grit and determination, we do need an upgrade at PG (hence #18).

12. ibm

ibm Member

ariza has been my favorite rocket of this team all season long.

consistency, and both ways. that's what they say - a pro's pro.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We should start with the coaching. No way we can reach our potential with a clueless coach like McHale calling the shots. He doesn't know why the team is so inconsistent on energy. Well, if he doesn't know, how can he correct it?

Kick him up to the FO if Morey wants. It's time for a coaching change.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I wouldn't worry about that. We don't have the caproom, so there's no opportunity for someone like Chris Bosh to stab us in the back. The only way the offseason would go as badly is if Smith and Brewer bolt and the Rockets don't have anyone to replace them.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This is the first time in a long time where I'm happy with most of our rotation and their roles. Probably why we were good enough to make the WCF. Our guys getting healthy would be our upgrade.

Our frontline of Dwight/JSmoove/DMo/Capela is one of the deepest in the league. Hard to upgrade, unless we move mountains for LMA or Love. Jones is a fine player, but brings the least unique skillset to the table. If we can move him for an upgrade in the backcourt, I'd be all for it.

Bev/Terry/Johnson is clearly the weak position and the most important to improve. I love Bev, but he needs to come off the bench. If he walks in free agency, I think we have options. We need to look at guys like Lawson or Lowry, guys that other teams have to account for and can take pressure off of Harden. Role players like George Hill aren't going to cut it, we need a true upgrade to Bev.

16. hakeemthagreat

I'm done with experiments. I dont want Lull. Bring in Lawson, keep Bev & get Jones outta here. If we gotta part with DMo for Lawson then so be it. An attacking pg will open up the court will make the game easier for everybody

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Find a way to trade for George Hill.

18. steven42lh

steven42lh Member

Bulls just fired Thibs. I DO NOT want him in Houston. He understands player rotations and balancing his star's PT even less than McHale. He would run down our guys and they would have nothing left for the playoffs. That is one major change NOT needed for the rockets.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Lights out shooters and any and all positions especially PG. If we would have had a reliable shooter or two, the Rockets would be in the NBA finals. Can't struggle to make shots at the most critical times. Also, missed lay ups and free throws are killers. When you look at the shot charts, you wonder how the Rockets kept it as close as they did.

20. hakeemthagreat

I forgot, the biggest move of all is to somehow get James Harden, our alleged superstar, a heart transplant for heart problem in game 5:rolleyes: