1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major changes coming!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by derrick, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

OH no, now I bet 610 is going to be talking about this and act like they have "INSIDE INFO" :rolleyes: It is good to see something put a spark back into the GARM

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Sprewell won't be 36 until Sept. 2006.

You SnT for a 35 yo if he plays equivalent D to the player you're trading him for and you've resolved your SG depth issues with the draft (Fernandez, Garcia, Winston, etc).

IOW, a short-term SnT for Spree means we have the full MLE and the draft to get younger. It's not like Wesley is 27. :D

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The salaries make the change over on July 1 (really ~July 15 since no moves can be made during the Moratorium). So yes, it'd work.

It's actually one of the more realistic moves I've seen. Question is, is Wilcox really better than the 24th pick? He hasn't amounted to much so far.

Note, it doesn't save the Clips the full 2.8 mill off the cap. The pick will still hit the cap at some amount. The current CBA doesn't have the rookie pay scale for this year's picks so it's dependent on the new CBA, but it'll be just around a mill.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Oh wait, WE'RE giving up the 1st round pick. I thought in the scenario the Clips were still looking to clear salary so they give up a first rounder for a future pick, like in that one insider article. Oh then I take it back. I don't know if Wilcox is worth our #1 pick. I'd rather try and move up and take Diogu.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"sound good to me, homeslice!"

6. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Why can't the Draft be tomorrow. I'm so ready to start the next season.

Great Post. Thanks for something to really look forward to. :p

7. derrick

derrick Member

yeah, SUra's health and age pose a problem for the Rockets. Which brings me to my next point. I know we have already talked abut this, but JVG has realized that having one of the oldest teams in the NBA does have its disadvantages. In short, we just got outplayed athletically (if that makes sense) in the Dallas series. JVG's hands were tied. He knows its his doing, and he is going to un-do it (if that makes sense).

8. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Once you sign this guy to contract you're stuck with him. And it would be another bad contract on the roster. Sprewell is also a streaky shooter that will be 35 yrs of age when the season starts. A Snt with Wesley for Sprewell will result in this guy making 5 to 6 million a year. I say don't do it.

9. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

sweeet i'll be in new york on draft day.. maybe it'll give us some luck!:D

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think it's gotta be Chris Jent coming in..

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It would be a stop gap measure. If we did it, it would be to improve the athleticism at SG spot for the short term. Not all moves are in a vaccum. You can still get younger via the MLE, other trades and the Draft. But not ALL moves will be to get younger. Sometimes some veterans have to be traded for veterans that better fit the team.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, if that's the case then going after Sprewell might not be the option right now as much as someone like Bonzi Wells who is much younger and every bit as athletic. If we went after Bonzi, his team option would be picked up and he would be another expiring contract after the upcoming season at around 8M per. So if Bonzi didnt work out we could just move him at the trading deadline.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Look, I'm just glad to have trade speculation. I need Rox talk.

And saying good-bye to Patrick Ewing. SWEET. As far as I can see, either he hasn't done jack-**** for Yao, or Yao's development really is r****ded by playing all year long.

Remember what a good passer Yao was in his first year? Teaching him to be a black hole (no bad jokes here, please) on offense is not utilizing his skillz. (Please note white boy's poor use of "z" in "skillz" in misguided attempt to appear contemporary and "with-it.")

As far as a trade goes, I'll take James Posey. I'd be OK with Bonzi Wells, but I'd rather go for broke and make an attempt for Ron Artest. But the Pacers organization might have to pretend to give him a chance before shipping him out....unless we take on Croshere's contract, looking for that 3 pt shooting power forward.

14. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

This talk about Maggette and Wilcox is making me real uneasy...let me put it to you simply - both these guys are losers.

Maggette is a stat w****...he'll put up as many shots as it takes to "get his" even if it's to the detriment of the team. He does not make anyone around him better in the least, and if you thought Sura, Wesley, Franchise could not / would not pass, oh shiznick. I do believe the Clips are looking, or at least very open to dealing this dude...BUT THERE IS A REASON.

Wilcox is a nice athletic player, but dude does not rebound or play defense. Ever wonder why a solid coach like Dunleavy would not play this guy on a team that did not come close to making the playoffs?

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Duece, you may be a smart man, but somehow I doubt that the Rockets are going to announce they've agreed in principlal to S&T deal prior to the draft. The Rockets or any other NBA team aren't allowed to contact or negotiate with FAs until the FA period begins in July. Telling the world that you've reached an agreement with a FA prior to that would pretty much be suicide.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Especially with no collective bargaining agreement and hence salary cap structure to fit a trade into.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hasnt that happened in the past though? I could have sworn that in the past deals like that took place and then weren't "official" until the start of the next Fiscal Season. Maybe it wasnt for a S&T but for something else. But I could have sworn it has happened before.

18. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Could it be Calvin Murphy for assistant coach? :D

Oh.....and say NO to Spree!!! :cool:

19. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I live in LA and got to see Maggette a lot. This year he carried that team down the stretch of games. It wasn't Brand, it wasn't simmons. When it came to crunch time Maggette took over more than anyone else on that team. Yes, the Clippers are losers, but that organization doesn't do crap to help them succeed. And it doesn't stop guys like Lamar Odom and Andre Miller from having success elsewhere.

Maggette is aggressive, but he's not a chucker. He's a very efficient scorer. He only had 14.9 fga per game last year. He can easily take the 10 fga that Wesley took last year along with a couple from the PG position (James had 10 fga per game coming off the bench. That can easily be brought down if we had a 3rd option like CM.) and backup SF and he wouldn't be cutting into Yao or T-Mac's shots.

He's a good defender at the SF because he's very strong. He's not quite as good at the SG so I expect that T-mac and Maggette would split time at the sg and sf defensively. And on offense they would both be mismatches. CM can post up most defenders because of his strength, and take bigger guys off the dribble because he attacks the rim so well.

In terms of Wilcox, I will conceed that he's not shown that he can consistently perform at a high level. But he's got the tools to be good, or at least good enough, and I'd like to see what JVG can do with him on the defensive end. He's explosive around the rim, and I think he would benefit from and be a benefit to Yao's interior passing. And keep in mind that he's been playing behind Brand his whole career and often has had to play out of position at center. If worse comes to worse, Wilcox only had 1 more year on his contract. And if he plays poorly then the Rockets can cut bait. Or even work out a sign and trade for a team that is still enamored with his physical gifts.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nice post Mcable. I don't see us getting Maggette, but Wilcox is a possibility. The guy is a big body and is athletic, it would be interesting to see what JVG could do w/ a guy like Wilcox or Swift on defense.

Beyao- How can you be winners if you have only played for the LA Clippers? Maggette and Wilcox have only played on the Clippers and in case you haven't noticed, the Clippers haven't been good for a very very long time.