1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major changes coming!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by derrick, Jun 8, 2005.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Um. He obviously doesn't know. He said that he heard JVG wants to make some moves, not what moves he's going to make. Maybe this scoop is real, and maybe it's not. But what is the point in asking for more info on one hand and telling him not to make crap up on the other.

2. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

This would certainly coincide with JVG's speal about making bold moves that might hurt the chemistry.

Bonzi would be a good gamble. He is going on his last year of his contract so, if it doesn't work out, he will just be gone. But, on the flip side, it could turn out to be a great move that gets us closer to the elite teams.

I've never been high on Bonzi, always thought of him being a punk and this season didn't help that perception. But, if he gets us closer to a championship, I'm all for it.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks derrick.
    How about moving up and grabbing Sean May?I'd like that.
    Mario or Mr. Mean sound about right on the assistant.
    And getting rid of Wesley and Sura...How about Ray Allen?

4. micah1j

micah1j Member

This part "But I have some advice... maybe the Rockets are going in another direction that we don't know about. " sounds like he might know but doesn't want to spill the beans.

Must have misinterpreted it.

5. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

No Bon Bons

6. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

It is a matter of practicality. I can see a lot of interest in Sura league-wide because of his good contract and thus his trade value is up from the way he played last year.

Ward, on the other hand, that's a small mistake we will have to swallow for one more season.

7. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A couple of things to consider...

First...

To trade Sura and Wesley, someone has to want to give you something decent in return. No doubt they are both most likely on the trading block (like a few others) but they are not a sure fire thing to be gone.

Second..

Mo Malone as a coach? Can you imagine the translation problems between he and Yao? If they could get Van Chancellor as their translator, you'd have the makings of a hit sit-com.

8. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CC,

I'd love to get May, that guy was fantastic in the NCAA Tournament. He's a bruiser and we could use a guy like him.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As long as they don't overypay, it is all good. Also, chemistry is important. And keeping in mind that a lot of us are also hoping to see a new starting PF, at some point you can't just keep trading/changing 3/5 of your starters every year.

10. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

I think there is a much higher chance that Spree will be here before we ever trade for Bonzi.

11. m_cable

We'll stop moving guys in and out when we get the right guys. I think this past year's in-season moves were done in order to save the season, more than anything else. Barry and Wesley were basically guys that held the fort for us last year, but we needed to move forward no matter what.

We're in pretty much the same spot we would be if we didn't make those moves in terms of the talent level and age of our team, BUT those moves helped win a bunch of games, get into the playoffs, and build a little excitement around the team.

I'd take the season we had over losing and getting a higher draft pick. So it was worth it to me to move around some people last year.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree. Now we're contemplating doing serious moves again. These are role players to be sure, but are still very important pieces (right Damon Jones?). Moves need to be made - I just hope they're the right moves.

13. weivos

weivos Member

Maybe Rudy T is coming back as an assistant coach again?

14. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I bet it's Don Chaney.

15. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

We don't need superstars, although I wouldn't mind getting Kidd ...

But, we just need younger, smarter, stronger, more talented role players, who fit into JVG's system and buy into it, and can grow into a championship team with Yao and TMac. We need guys like Horry and Cassel for Dream.

On my wishlist:

PG: Kidd (doubtful), Duhon, Daniels, B.Barry, J.Williams
    SG: Simmons, Wells, Murray, Hughes
    SF: E.Willams
    PF: Chandler (doubtful), Brown, SAR, Swift, Marshall

Draft: hope we have 2 (buy one) and draft 2 best available:
    Petro, Splitter, Blatche, Diogu, Simien,
    Granger, Jack, Turiaf, Bynum

Sign Deke and Barry
    Use our expiring contracts and TEs for much better players
    I don't think Spanoulis or Badiane are ready ...

Don't want:
    Spreewell, Artest, Van Exel, Van Horn, Chris Taft, Mobely

16. m_cable

That would be great, he could play the good cop to JVG's bad. But I don't think it will happen. Even if JVG brings in a former rocket as an assistant, he would probably still bring in a guy that he knows and has some experience with. As much as JVG says he respects Rudy, they don't really know each other that well. At least it doesn't seem like it.

17. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Yup, he's another Qyntel Woods

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Q gives dog a whole new definition.

New assistant coach is likely to beeither Super Mario or Duck Chaney, assuming the original story is accurate, IMO.

The Rox will not be drafting higher than mid-teens, again IMO.

I could see Wesley - Blount and a trade of #1s.
    I could see Spoon/Ward - Croshere and a trade of #1s.
    I could see Wilcox - TE/#1. I could also see Sura/Wesley #1 - Maggette/Wilcox.
    I could see Sura/Mooch - Bonzi/#1.

I could see any of those on draft day. But will I?

19. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

There are certain givens involved with all the trade talk. You can't get rid of someone just 'cuz you don't want them anymore. So says the CBA. Sura and Wesley are both assets with some trade value, CWard is not. If there are two trades on draft day then maybe we can dump an extra expiring contract or two, but not all of them. Wait until trade deadline for that.

IMO we are getting Bonzi and #19 for ??? We may be after AD or Jaric as a PG, but they are the only ones I can think of, off hand (do not see JWill). JHo is gotta be staying if were dropping DW and Sura so SAR isn't coming. I think JVG is pretty confortable with him anyway. Vin gets paid not to show up, that gives an extra slot. Maybe CWard retires injured. Vasoulis comes, JB goes. We have 4 UFA's, I would hate to not see Mutumbo so the other 3 won't be back I reckon that's Barry, Braggs and Bowen. One draft choice will be b/u PF the other a b/u 2 or 3. Padgett exercises his option not to come back and goes for the bucks, he actually added to his asset value this last season. That is it.

Let's see the math:

PG Sura, James, Ward, Mooch - Sura and Ward + ??? and VSpan = 4
    SG Wesley, Barry - Wesley and Barry + ??? = 1
    SF TMac - 0 + DRAFT = 2
    PF Howard, Spoon, Bowen, Padgett, Braggs, Baker - Bowen, Padgett, Braggs, Baker + DRAFT = 3
    C Ming, Mutumbo - 0 + 0 = 2

14 Now - 8 Gone + 5 newbies = 11 positions + whoever

20. m_cable

I could see Wesley - Blount and a trade of #1s.

No way. Not only do we take on an albatross contract but we only get to swap up 6 places in the draft.

I could see Spoon/Ward - Croshere and a trade of #1s.

Well this is better than the Boston trade. But it's still not that good. I guess I would consider it if Diogu was at #17 who I'm REALLY high on.

I could see Wilcox - TE/#1.

I'm not sure if this works capwise anymore. Before I thought we had a bigger TE than the $2.4 mill that the Chronicle reported. According to hoopshype, Wilcox's salary for this past years is 2.2 mill, but his salary for next year is 2.8 mill. So I don't know if we would be using this past year's salary or next year's salary for trade. I'd do it if we could.

I could also see Sura/Wesley #1 - Maggette/Wilcox.

Um, the Clips would have to be stone cold drunk to make this move (which means that they just might do it). Maggette is an absolute stud, and not only that, but he is on a VERY affordable contract for his production.

I could see Sura/Mooch - Bonzi/#1.

Yeah, I'd do this one too. At worst, we could still move Bonzi's expiring contract at the trade deadline. And we get an extra #1 in a pretty decent draft.