1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major changes coming!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by derrick, Jun 8, 2005.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Get a rope. :)

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Rockets scouts let Derrick down :p

That must be his explanation.

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

He said two draft day trades, he just didn't say they'd involve Hou :)

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i honestly don't doubt derricks source - or the fact that he has one. at the time, that was probably the rockets plan...... BUT, the draft is soooooo unpredictable that things change too quickly.

draft day predictions any time before the actual draft - regardless of the source - rarely pan out. we'll see what happens from here..... hopefully derrick's source still has the inside word.

5. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

No he said Welsey would be traded on draft day although the Rockets did try to move up for Green so it was possible. :)

6. derrick

derrick Member

Say what you want, but I'm sticking by my info. True, the trades did not come on draft night. In fact, the Rockets didn't even draft who everybody predicted they would draft... Taft, Wayne and others were still there. They wanted to go in a different direction. This only proves my point that Sura and Wes are gone. Who is the draft pick who is going to make an immediate contribution?? Luther Head. How can he make this contribution playing behind Wes and Sura? Trust me, they are gone. The Rockets are going to be on the phones and will make a huge deal to bring a good pf to Houston. Portland has really messed things up. Don’t blame CD. Blame the other teams. We are trying to make deals. We even tried to make a deal to move up. They just would not take it.

As for Patrick... He would be gone... But the Knicks have not officiated named Herb as the head coach. Why would he leave without securing a job???

It's going to happen. It will.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because Green was known 2 weeks before draft night that he was going to slide.

8. toby

toby Member

Ok, so . . . Portland messed up our trade? Wesley and Sura for a PF from Portland or Denver or Utah. hmmmm.

9. derrick

derrick Member

Portland was actually the team we were in negotiations with. Theo and a guard were coming for Wes, Sura, Spoon, and some pics.

That trade fell apart.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You 'speak' with passion and conviction. regarding PEw, however, it appears LB or Lame-beer will be in and Herb out.

11. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Don't let the board get you down!! You have your sources and a lot of conviction! You informed this board about a trade, and if nothing else, it's entertaining to read. The handwriting is on the wall that there will be a lot of player movement. Like they say, there are 10 to 20 trades discussed before one acutally takes place.

CD did say that fans will see why Head was drafted. Indicating that James and or Sura are going to be traded. Both of those guys have trade value because James is under paid, and Sura is not making a lot of money or on a long contract. This is going to make a suspensfull Summer!!!!!!

On a side note, I got caught up in the Spanoulis HYPE!! I admit that. But, now I'm thinking that Spanoulis likely will be playin in Europe next year.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm kind of glad that didn't work out. Theo is a decent player but his contract is way too big and he is too injury prone.

13. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

it's alright, man. I still appreciate the info, and I think you're right that Sura and Wesley are being shopped.

I'm glad that fell apart. It sounds horrible for the Rockets. Ratliff's way too expensive. I'd only consider it if I were certain Ratliff could stilll play PF for us.

Maybe the 'Allan Houston' luxury tax exemption had something to do with the trade falling apart. Then again, I don't see how that's better than the proposed trade.

14. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Please tell me Mike James isn't going to end up running the offense for us. We all saw how "fluid" we were in the playoffs where Tmac eventually had to wave off James because James was dominating the ball too much. So basically tracy had to score, guard Dirk, AND play point. No wonder the dude was tired.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Theo? I dont see where he would fit on this team. At this stage of his career he is a C and not a PF. He doesnt have the quickness anymore to play the PF spot in my opinion. So I dont see where that helps us unless we werent going to resign Deke and have Theo as the backup C.

As for the guard, I can only assume it was either Derek Anderson or Ruben Patterson. Either would help us but that's a lot of salary we would be taking on. I wouldn't give up expiring contracts AND picks for that deal. If we are giving away PICKS then someone like Darius Miles would have to be in the deal in my opinion.

16. funksoultrader

I like Ratliffe, but after watching how much Przybilla has improved, I think I'd just as soon have Przybilla. At least he should come at a better price.

17. New Jack

New Jack Member

Ratliff wouldn't have made any sense considering the Blazers are likely to release him.

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Its my understanding that while releasing him would save them money, it wouldnt save all the money that trading him most likely would. Ratliff and G. Green for spoon-sura-wesley and picks would have been fair.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'd expect Blazers to drop The Kobe Killer or DA before TR.

20. hrce11

hrce11 Member

The reason it makes more sense to trade him than release him is that by trading him he comes off their salary cap. With this new CBA clause, you can release a player and have his salary not count towards the luxury tax, but his salary will still be with you. So basically its a way of avoiding the luxury tax, not curing any sort of cap woes. If they traded him, they would get him off the books and have players to show for it.