1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major changes coming!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by derrick, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

If Cat comes back I can't wait to see what Orlando gets for Doug Christie if they move him.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If Cat and Francis are so buddy-buddy and inseperable, why aren't there any "Cat to Orlando" rumors?

It's logical to think since Weisbrod the Idiot is gone, any bad blood from the move might have disappeared with his "resignation"

3. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Rocket and Cuttino= 2 many burnt Bridges. however i'll pray non - stop to be wrong though! :)

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Whether or not the Cuttino rumor is true, I like the idea of getting him back. He was a great teammate here; he and Yao got along; sure, he doesn't have a steep, steep basketball IQ, but if you take away his worse half (Francis), then yes, by all means, bring him back.

5. superden

superden Contributing Member

i really really hope this rumor is true. it would make cd a genius. we give up stevie and kato and a 2nd round pick for tmac, jhoward, and mike james. haha

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

and Jon Barry

7. Got Em

Got Em Member

You forgot about Michael Redd and Larry Hughes. Some will even include Bonzi Wells if they decline the team option.

8. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

If Mobley does come back to Houston, Steve-O will probably go off the deep end. Especially since Mooch is back too. Francis would probably sit out the 2005-2006 season and become a Rockets season ticketholder if the rumors are true.

9. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Mobley, Warrick, and AD would be the BEST summer ever!!!!

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm ok with cat coming back as long as that means we're using some of these expiring contracts to trade for a pf. i like cat but not so much that i'm gonna throw him the entire mle and have no plan for a new pf.

#250 BigM, Jun 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Better than getting T-Mac, huh? ;)

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Mobley for the MLE? That would be interesting. Especially since he would be opting out of a contract that is well above the MLE. Basically, once again he would be taking less money to play in Houston.

Mobley could fill that 3rd scorer role this team needs. But I still would be concerned with him taking shots away from Tmac and especially Yao. I am on the fence on Mobley coming back to the Rockets.

If we did get Mobley with the MLE, then that would mean we would have to acquire a PF via trade.

As an aside......IF we did get Mobley via the MLE...how funny would the Tmac trade look again taking into account the personnel moves after the trade?
    Tmac, Howard, James, Barry
    for
    Francis, Cato

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I love the idea of getting AD and Warrick. I agree, if you got those 3 players you would be adding A LOT of perimeter speed/defense to this team.

14. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Pat Riley ;)

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

But the cat came back the very next day,
    The cat came back, we thought he was a goner
    But the cat came back; it just couldn't stay away.

But, Cat's not coming back. He is opting out of his contract; I believe he's already said as much in the news, if not having already done the paperwork. But, he's not coming here. (1) He wants his payday after being underpaid for so long. (2) He said returning to the Rockets is like taking back a woman that's cheated on you. (3) All we've got is the MLE; something like 25 teams have the MLE. If he has to settle for the MLE, there will be plenty of teams offering it to him.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Beat me to it.

Was gonna say he must not have been around much last summer.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I can't get my hopes up because I've heard these wacky rumors before. There are definately a lot of Cat haters on this board, but I think the majority of poeple would love to have him back. I just wonder how possible that really is. Without the money, and given that he took a pay cut for us once already, and given that we must have pissed him off by shipping him off to an ******* like Wiesbroad, I doubt he is happy with our organization.

On the other hand, he loves Yao, he love Houston, CD and Mobley have an excellent relationship, and I'm sure he wants to play for a contender; oh yeah, his family still lives here. So, there are plenty of reasons for him to return.

I guess I'll bite my lip and see what happens. If he does come back, Mobley haters should be ashamed. I can't remember another player who has been as hardworking, loyal, and non-greedy. This is the NBA for God sakes. Ego and bling bling are supposed to be king.

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Why do people make it sound like opting out and re-signing at a starting salary lower is such a big deal. A five year $30 million deal is much better than a 1 year $6+ million. Yes if he plays out this year and then signs for the MLE next year he would get more money overall. But who is to say what his value is going to be next year. He could get a career ending injury or something. Opting out and taking the guaranteed money THIS year is the smarter move.

19. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

I read up there somewhere questions as to whether Mobley had already declared his opt out or not. Did some digging. So far the latest date I've found is June 17th.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/13079795p-13924864c.html

The Kings likely will have three free agents of their own: shooting guard Cuttino Mobley, forward Darius Songaila and swingman Maurice Evans. Should Mobley decide to terminate his contract, he will be an unrestricted free agent.

So it would seem he hasn't officially filed ,or declared, his opt out. Or does an opt out not become official until July 1?

Actually, when a player has the option, does he have to declare he's opting out? Or does he actually declare only if he's picking up the option to stay? IOW, if he does nothing, isn't he letting the contract expire without grabbing his option to extend? In the NBA transactions it only seems to list players who have "exercised their option to stay."

#259 SA Rocket, Jun 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  20. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

If Cuttino has already determined that he's not likely to get above MLE next year anyway, then you are absolutely right. Considering this one year of extra money would be California taxed vs a no tax in, say Texas ;)(plus extra housing expenses,etc) , then how small does that 1 year extra money become? Then, as you say, you throw in four more years of guarantee and opting for less money this year doesn't sound so odd after all. Great point m-cable.