1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic # to the guaranteed best odds for #1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Really hope we get one more top three pick.

groovemachine likes this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, I guess as of tonight the tank job is officially done since #3 through #7 are all about the same draft value this cycle. Good (bad) job team, you did it.

groovemachine likes this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Knowing this organization's drafting habits, I'd say that's a 52% chance we get one of these four guys:

Wemby
    Scoot
    Amen Thompson
    Ausar Thompson

I don't see them taking Miller with a top 4 pick when guys with legitimate superstar upside are still on the board, even if those guys do come with some major questions.

Could be Miller, could be Jarace Walker, could be Cam Whitmore if they fall out of the top 4, we'll just have to hope that doesn't become a question.

5. PeppermintCandy

Not me. I'm ready to for this team to rise from the ashes and go undefeated for the remainder of the season.

This isn't the game thread, but an obligatory Hogan gif inserted.

[​IMG]

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m still taking Miller over the Thompson twins. I don’t trust perimeter players don’t shoot .7+ from the line. The twins are shooting under .65.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've spent a lot of time this week reading/watching scouting reports and tape of Amen, and I'm sold on him as the third-best in this class. He is a generational type of athlete, like the kind of athlete you usually only see once every 10+ draft classes. He is also underrated as a basketball player. He's a great passer and playmaker, a good defensive player, good rebounder, great feel for the game. Shooting is important, but it's not everything in basketball.

If this class didn't have not one, but two guys who would go #1 in most drafts, Amen would basically be a lock for the #1 pick. After the combine I can pretty much guarantee you most NBA organizations will see it the same way.

Huge mismatch potential as a point guard too, and I am convinced he has the IQ, passing, playmaking ability, and handles to play at that position. Unlike most point guards, he'll also be able to switch up to guard the 3, maybe even the 4.

I've seen enough--I'm convinced that even if the shot never comes around he's going to be a good player. Maybe not a superstar if he doesn't learn to shoot at all, but he'll still be a productive NBA starter. If he does learn to shoot and his other skills continue to improve, the upside is just insane, like "regularly competing for MVP awards" type of ceiling here.

Miller sh** the bed in the tournament and I was never sold on his shot creation in the first place. We can pick up a spot-up three point shooter on the wing with the Clippers pick if that's what we're looking for. Gradey Dick, Taylor Hendricks, etc.

But with all of that said: It doesn't matter what you or I think. It matters what the front office thinks. And based on their past behavior in drafts I believe they highly value athleticism, tools, upside. I very much doubt they'll take Brandon Miller #3. I could see them taking him if he drops further than that and we miss out on a top 3 pick, I guess.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

You realize you just described Ben Simmons right?

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Big difference:

Amen Thompson is widely regarded as a great kid, smart, hard worker, who puts his all into every play, even off-the-ball defense.

Ben Simmons with his head on straight and no injury problems would've been a monster in the league. Scouting reports were already citing concerns with his lazy attitude before the draft, just FYI.

Easy likes this.