1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic to attempt to buy Clippers(Woj)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by #TheBeard, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Andrew Wiggins

No way magic has that kind of money saved up.

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

You sir must be the god of bank accounts. "He shall rise soon and he will have unbelievable gift to know the balance of all bank accounts everywhere at all times"..smh

1 person likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He has powerful backers. They've got plenty of money to buy the Clippers.

4. Doktor Mndbndr

Right, he'd serve as figurehead for the Guggenheims (as stated in the article). One of the political ruling families buying him out, as I thought something of this sort would happen in the other thread. It'd humiliate Donald Sterling appropriately as required by political correctness:

A black man buying him out. The very man Sterling would restrict from the arena.

Very inexpensive propaganda.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dabeezneez

Dabeezneez Member

Did you read the article?

6. mig0s

mig0s Member

magic is worth 1B? no way lol

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The hilarity aside, how does it make sense to have magic and his Lakers-boner serve as the figure head for the clippers ownership? Conspiracy theories will become rampant

8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

About half. He's actually a savvy businessman.

9. Doktor Mndbndr

I don't believe that Magic is actually a savvy businessman. I think he's just a front in that area as well. Do you genuinely believe that some ex-NBA just happens to build up a nation-wide chain of movie theaters? C'mon.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I wish he would go to every Clippers game and sit right next to Donald Sterling.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

He initially invested with other peoples money. That's business 101. No risk high reward. He's been using his own money as of late.

He doesn't have the paper to buy the Clippers though. Maybe enough to buy a small fraction like Jay Z.

12. Doktor Mndbndr

What happens is that wealthy investors utilize guys like Magic Johnson, Nolan Ryan, etc., as p.r. It's a win-win situation. But it's the wealthy investor who's calling the shots, not the sports star.

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lol what a rat move by magic

14. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Shark Tank

15. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Read the article. It's the same investor group that bought the Dodgers. Magic Johnson just happens to their PR face.

16. yakitori

yakitori Contributing Member

The only exception is Jordan who actually owns the majority of shares for the Bobcats.

For Magic, that's probably not going to happen but he could own a huge chunk of the team. The Clippers, according to Forbes, is worth 575 million dollars but the actual sale price will probably be quite a lot higher.

Magic's 2014 net worth (Forbes) is around 500 million dollars. So depending on how much he is willing to put into the team and how much the team sells for, it's possible for him to be a majority owner... possible but very unlikely. Most likely he will be a minority owner but be the PR-face of ownership.

17. Doktor Mndbndr

My guess is Magic will receive the usual 1% or 2% ownership stake that such persons usually do. For free, as a sort of commission. Magic himself probably pays nothing out of pocket. I doubt he'd be allowed to buy more than a few percent by the majority investor(s), even if he wanted to.

The actual owner or controlling family will have at least 51% stake. Personally, I'd bet it'd be almost wholly owned by some branch of the Guggenheim family, rather than as some sort of arrangement with multiple major, non-kin investors.

18. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Not only would this be a huge conflict of interest, it would be the ultimate slap in the face to any LAC fan.. The lakers would truly own the clippers in every sense of the word.

19. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The Clippers need to go to Seattle and become the Sonics. I hope that happens because I miss the Sonics they were my second favorite team.