1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Magic # to 16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They'll have to find a coin that has 5 sides.

[​IMG]

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Seems about right to me. The #5 pick has about a 48% chance of coming up as the Rockets' pick if they have the worst record.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wait, I did that wrong. It would be a 6 team tie, if DET beats Minny, and Minny beats ORL, with all teams losing out rest of the way.

Easy likes this.
  4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. The Rockets winning 5 in a row?

I honestly don't think the Rockets will have a 5 game win streak until 2023.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's been rare for me to hit Rockets at #1 on that thing -- I've been seeing #18 way too often.

FLASH21 likes this.
  6. jayfree

jayfree Member

Today, we can clinch a bottom 3 worst record and guarantee a 52% chance at a top 4 pick.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We clinched a bottom 3 record.

we can try to win now, and not risk it.

DD

Bo6 likes this.
  8. heypartner

[edit] ignore ... my math was wrong for explaining the odd nature of Rockets losing tankathon so much. See kingcheetahs quote of mine if you want to see my morning coffee math fart.

should just stick to writing the simulator per nba rules for a sanity check of tankathon’s code

#88 heypartner, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Deckard, jiggyfly, napalm06 and 3 others like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's good to read -- if we fall to 18 it will be a genuinely sad day.

Agree on the new thread btw [DIVOT]

10. heypartner

Oops delete

11. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I believe their calculations is correct. When calculating the odds for 2nd pick for example , don’t you have to factor in the Rockets not getting the first place which is 0.86 multiplied by 140 / (1000-100). That’s why getting second pick is slightly lower than first pick.

#91 COMPAQ CENTER, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
  12. heypartner

Yep. I’m wrong. I can’t add my probabilities for each drawing, the way I was doing it. More complex math to account for Rockets winning a drawing to get numbers into a summable form, than I could do while having coffee.

Writing the simulator code is easier ... was what I set out to do this morning, when I got sidetracked with incorrect probability math in my head. :)

sorry @KingCheetah ... but yeah, it is astonishing how much we lose more than 52%. To make up for it, now I really have to get my simulator up on the web, to allow users to input a number of runs for sanity check of the code.

Reports seem so far off, I think they have a bug ... but maybe we aren’t hearing enuf success stories.

KingCheetah, CriscoKidd and napalm06 like this.
  13. jayfree

jayfree Member

Number to 1. I would love nothing more than to see the Rockets lose their next game to secure and then finish the season strong by winning their last 3 in convincing fashion.

DaDakota likes this.