1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic the Gathering

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Aug 5, 2010.

?

Magic the Gathering - Didja?

1. Yes - Still play the game

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Yes - Used to play the game

45 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. No - Never played the game

42 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. No- and you are a major dork !

41 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Just thought I'd throw a few cents out there...

1) I've seen this in Katy... and looking at the web, maybe it's similar to your idea in some ways. They've been in business for at least a few years.

Element Gaming

2) I have one of those Games2U trucks in my area. I think that is kinda against the grain of your idea of community / club gaming, except they do events and parties. Also near-ish to Lakeline, starting to think you're not far.

3) Have you been to Main Event? Kinda dave&busters, but I could see your idea fitting into a smaller model of something like that. Not to say that means it would or would not be successful, just wondering if you've been there and what you thought.

4) I have a truckload of Magic cards, played in my early 20's. Fun game, would play, but don't. I thought lately about teaching my kid, then saw what the old cards go for on Ebay.... now thinking about selling them. Always avoided tourneys etc. to avoid being the oldest guy at such a ... well... gathering... and that was long ago.

5) BITS can happen with a good idea serving a measurable need/want, good location, and the right marketing. Let me know if you ever need/want help in the latter area.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

holy hell i just looked up a black lotus online that was graded in a case going for thousands of dollars. i have i think 2 of those. hmmmm

3. statsnerd999

statsnerd999 Member

Hey DD , i still play magic quite often.
    It is still very popular. The store I play at in Dallas has 50+ people there every Friday night for a tournament. Also big crowds on Tuesday night for draft tournaments. The market is still very big, and there is actually quite a big influx of new and young players.

Now can you make money of this? Not sure.

The Friday tournament has a 5$ entry fee but really all of that money goes into the tournament prizes, so you might make a small amount off buying prize packs in bulk, you won't get much.

Where you would really make money is selling concessions, packs, and singles to the people at the tournament ( problem is that there are ton a good online marketplaces for this that you will not be able to compete with )

Another thing to think about is that you will either need to have some cred with the magic community or hire somebody that does. The guys that run the shops I have been to have all had longtime experience with magic, been certified as Magic Tournament Judges by DCI, and just have a general passion for the game. Players arent going to want to go to a place if the tournaments are run by noobs. Also note that running these tournaments requires alot of commitment. General friday night tourney runs from 7 pm past midnight.

Good luck if you decide to run with it!

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think something like this exists in a few forms. Goozex has a community and sets a point value of each game, and users queue up a wishlist and trade accordingly. They branched out to movies as well.

5. Dei

Dei Member

I had idle time and I ended up reading on the story for the sets I played back then. I got into this game at the Mirage arc: the one with the Weatherlight invading Rath, captain Sisay being kidnapped by Volrath and Gerrard ending up leading the crew to take her back and escape. It'd be sweet if they could adapt Magic for animation.