1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Magic the Gathering

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Aug 5, 2010.

?

Magic the Gathering - Didja?

1. Yes - Still play the game

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Yes - Used to play the game

45 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. No - Never played the game

42 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. No- and you are a major dork !

41 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

DD, if you have tens of thousands of dollars sitting around that you don't mind losing, and maybe you do, then by all means, try out your idea. Just know that others have done the same thing many times and most don't work out. It's a retail business. Location is everything and a good location is apt to be expensive. You'd have a large investment in those big screen HD displays, the whole setup of gaming rigs, connecting them up, and so on. The food and drink thingy, with permits for all of it, along with the inspections from the city and so on. You couldn't serve alcohol, or you'd lose a huge chunk of your clientele. You would be constantly "gaming" how to bring people in, with money spent for advertizing, prizes... money you can't stop spending. You'd have a staff to pay. You'd have to buy and maintain an inventory of games and consoles to sell, new and used. Some of that you can probably pick up fairly cheap from one of the cats who tried this and went out of business, so some reasearch might help you there. And that giant sucking sound you hear? No, DD, not the giant sucking sound of your dollars disappearing... the giant sucking sound of your time disappearing. THAT might bother you more than anything, once the "glow' of creating this wears off and the worry about making it an on-going success sinks in.

Think long and hard, buddy. I almost opened my own tropical fish store many years ago. It was (and is, although I need to get back into it) an ardent hobby of mine that I thought would be fun to have as a business. Sure, it wasn't how I'd been earning a living (which wasn't fun for me), but I thought I'd enjoy doing it. I even worked at a shop here in Austin for a year, to learn the business end of it. Got the financing, had a partner lined up who knew more about the fish import side of it than I did and had a "following" here. Came within a **** hair of doing it. Even had a location picked out. What saved me? My partner's money fell through and I didn't want to delve deeper into my own finances to cover what should have been his end. Best thing that ever happened to me at the time. The odds are 10-1 that the ultimate result would have been one of those "learning experiences," the language people use to make the disappearence of a chunk of their wealth seem better.

Think long and hard about this before trying it, and then think again. And if you end up doing it, I'd like to know, so keep us appraised of the situation.

2. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think board games and card games are enough to keep a store going. As for an internet gaming cafe, I think that's going to a problem magnet.

How many game/hobby shops does Austin still has open?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good information in this thread, and a lot of what we have been thinking about.

Essentially we would be trying to emulate the modern day arcade, but tie in a lot of other things to increase our profile.

Card games, Console leagues, along with retail.

We toyed with the food element, but that would be a lot more $$$, and maybe something to add in phase 2.

Yes, location would be essential, and our target market would be primarily the 10-25 year old male population.....

I am trying to come up with a concept that allows for franchiseability.....the reason I am asking if people would pay to play is because I have the same questions as some of you do...why play there when you can play online?

My 11 year old says because it would be more fun to play with a lot of friends at the same time......and split screen at home is not as good as having your own 32" monitor...playing a match, then getting a soda and talking about it with everyone that was just in the match.

I just don't know if we can get enough foot traffic, and more importantly, can we make it the COOL place to be?

DD

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'll tell you that I would not pay an hourly rate to play there. I would be willing to go play some Halo tournaments(Obviously I mean if it were near me, not a store in Austin) if they were free, or if there was something to win. I would do the rental thing if around $10-15/month. Or if there was a $1/day option or something. Probably pay more if it included discounts such as GameStop's rewards card.

I probably wouldn't at this point in my life since most of my friends aren't huge gamers, but would have probably liked the video game setup for a birthday party when I was a young teenager. I can't think of a price on it.

I'd also be more likely to pay for your used games than I would be at GameStop.

One thing GameStop doesn't do any more is the older systems and games, which there is a niche market for. I used to buy SNES/NES games when we had stores that carried them. I also liked when the carried FF action figures and posters, since I collect that stuff. Now I only find them in Japaneses anime stores like the Hello Cutie store in Savannah. The markups are huge there compared to what they were when the gaming stores carried them.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bought a few packs back in the day and played a couple of times with a buddy...but then wondered why and just went back to goldeneye.

as for the business idea. Cool, but i just don't see it being financial viable for games alone. You need a primary draw...then supplement that with hourly playing rates. I just dont see people getting together to play as a sustainable primary draw.

6. DaDakota

That is exactly what we are talking about, would the draw be the purchasing of games, or would it be the playing them head to head?

I am not sure either works as a primary draw....

Perhaps we need to revisit the food/bar element of it...but that would radically change everything and turn us into a psuedo Dave and Busters type of deal.

DD

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I have not really played video games since college in the late 90's, so I'm not an expert, but playing devil's advocate...

Can't kids play head to head online in the comfort of their own homes for free? Why would they pay money to do it in a store?

It seems like a good idea, BTW, but just curious

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

DD what I've seen here and in Arizona is actual a mobile 'video game truck' that has a bunch of consoles linked up and multiple HDTVs etc that go around to kids birthday parties and all. They'll have the start wii sports group games, rockband, if the parents are ok with it COD, Halo etc.

Its actually a pretty popular thing

it looks like they have franchises in dallas and SA but not austin

http://gametruckparty.com

its a franchise so that may help your cause too

just an idea

9. DaDakota

Yeah, I have seen those, Games2You I think is what it is called here.

But those are just party types of trucks....side businesses....I would like to do more of a tweens and teens hangout place.....sort of a modern day arcade....

The one thing the web and in home games has done is take away the comraderie of getting together and gaming......

It may be that my idea won't work.....but I think that a lot of kids would want to hang out with their buddies and play together......and not on a split screen.

At least my 11 year old and his friends think it is cool.....

DD

10. DarylMoney

DarylMoney Member

The key is having something the parents would be interested in. If it's just going to be a pain for a mom or dad to take their kids up there, worry about whether they should stay and wait or come back later, how much it will cost the parents will just say heck with it. Go play online, in your room.

This is where the food and drinks/sports bar comes into play :grin:

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i get what you are saying i just think in today's day of gaming the modern day arcade has been pushed out. at least when i was going up the arcade was the standard of elite graphics and joysticks etc now you can get all of that and more from home.

The kids I know now that play would rather just play online versus/with their friend rather than go over to their place.

its a good idea but i am not sure how long it could actually last. you may just get more 'old timers' in there looking to relive/reclaim their arcade days.

i think the newer generation isnt used to getting together in one place to play games its more of the older generation thats why the truck is popular it brings the gaming to the kids. sad to say this generations kids are ever more lazier or used to luxuries like that.

but back on topic i never bought any magic cards growing up my best friend was really into it so he would loan me decks when we'd go play at the local comic shop on the weekends. he let me borrow them until i placed higher than him in a tournament. i won 2 starter decks and like 5 booster packs of the new series/expansion that came out (Ice Age?) i gave him all the packs it wasnt like i played or like it that much we were cool again after that.

its a pretty fun game but its hard fo me to justify playing a game that requires sinking more and more money into it just to get certain cards etc. i'd waste my money as a kid buying basketball card trying to get every Hakeem card i could get out there instead :grin:

12. DaDakota

I completely agree, the best place would be to be in an anchor type of environment where mom or dad is going shopping and can drop off their kiddos for a couple of hours.

Like a grocery store or mall or something.

There is a store in Austin doing something similar called Gamerz in LakeLine Mall but they are not going all in on gaming stations like I want to....

DD

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thats actually where i work at the moment in austin.

14. DaDakota

I was the Head bartender at D&B 3 on Richmond in Houston in the early to mid 90s.....just out of college.

Gold Star name tag baby !

;)

DD

15. okaylam

okaylam Contributing Member

You should also take into account that the age group you are targeting are probably not the wealthiest people out there. Most will probably be relying on allowances or part time jobs. Just something to consider...

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the head-to-head draw is ruled out automatically. That's going to be ancillary.

Purchase of games...think there is too much competition to be a significant draw.

Food/bar would certaintly add complexity and I don't know if you want to get into the restaurant business. You would definitely need someone with experience to manage the food side. (note, hire hot girls in skimpy outfits). Although maybe a coffee shop with light food may be a basic enough draw to get random folks in the door.

It's tough. When i was actively collecting comics, people would convene at the comic store for magic games. The draw there, of course, was sports cards & comics book retail. But i've been out of the loop in that industry for a while and not sure how well they are doing.

17. DaDakota

100% correct, if they do the subscription type of deal (IE Gamefly) it would be their parents that are paying.

I guess what I am trying to do is combine a lot of similar stores under one roof.

Retail - Game Stop
    Rental - GameFly/Blockbuster
    Local play - Lan Centers
    Parties - Blazer tag/D&B etc

DD

18. Raven

Raven Member

At what size would a screen be too large to play video games on?

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't like my 52" when I play by myself. Split screen though the size is great. By myself I prefer a 32"

20. DaDakota

32 was exactly the size I had planned for the pods, but in the media room with projectors going towards both ends....about 101" on both.....for 4 times split screen.

I just made a foray into the Lakeline mall to check out Gamerz, which is doing about 50% of what I wanted to do, they are in a great location, but are more retail than what I was thinking.

Think Boys and Girls club for the 2000s.....or Generation Y.....

I appreciate all the input and after visiting Gamerz, I am seriously considering not doing it....just did not seem to be as much of a draw as I thought.

Maybe if it was part of a bar, and was for free, rather than pay......

I do have one more website idea though, where essentially it is like GameFly but with users sending games to each other...rather than through a central location......

DD