1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic or CP3

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockbox, Jul 15, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who was better

1. Magic

95.2%
  2. CP3

4.8%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Magic and not even close. Did you see his stat line when Kareem was out in the Finals?

2. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

Let's just say for argument's sake that the two are at their primes today, and played against each other for a best of 7 series.

Magic will flat out rule this match up, as he is taller and bigger, hence he would see the court better. Magic will just post up CP3 on the post every chance he got, look for cutters, pass and or do a hook shoot.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not even close.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Morey also thought it was a brilliant idea to sign Trevor ****ing Ariza to a giant contract.

Morey is not right every time.

5. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

i would even take stockton over paul and thats blasphemy. Paul is great though, i think maybe top 5.

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Let this thread just die. I think nobody in their right mind would take Paul over Magic. For the people who do not want to look at championships, lets look at MVP's.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Paul is the most underrated superstar maybe ever. Or top 3 underrated

Maybe Magic was overrated.

Id still take Magic over CP3, by a nose.

CP3 is absolutely a great player at both ends of the court. Better shooter than Magic. Better defensive impact.

Though some of the "cant shoot" claim agaisnt Magic is kinda unfair. The 3 point shot just wasnt near as important then in the league even up to the late 80s with the Reggie Miller era. Even John Stockton was a HORRIBLE outside shooter his first 4 years.

In Magic's later years he improved greatly at 3 point shooting when he made it a focus. Magic was an excellent free throw shooter, which is generally a sign of having good shooting touch. If magic didnt retire and he shouldnt have in hindsight, he'da been able to make his case better about his shooting.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Cp3 might be the most overrated player in my lifetime, never accomplished anything

1 person likes this.
  9. Raven

Raven Member

Good God, how can this be a serious question?

10. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

How is this even a thread?

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I wonder if all you guys that knock Magic's lack of scoring realize that he had the leagues all time leading scorer on the team with him for just about his entire career.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And then Kareem retired and his scoring average didn't move at all.

I don't understand why it's pitched as a horrific insult to Magic Johnson to not categorize him with Jordan, LeBron, Durant, Bryant, Dominique Wilkins, Bernard King, George Gervin as a hyper-elite scorer either for his era or all-time - he simply wasn't that type of player. His jumper was suspect until late in his career whene realized he needed one and he started to shoot 3's, but never really becaame a consistent weapon.

13. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Magic was a matchup NIGHTMARE. He even abused Jordan, hence why Pippen needed to take over defensive duties on Magic in the '91 Nba Finals.

What do you think he'd do to lil CP3? It wouldnt be fair, Magic would have his issues defending Paul as well, BUT its more possible for Magic to at least contain Paul. CP3 would offer little resistance on D, Magic would simply back him down and have his way.

Thats a 1 on 1 approach.

Team ball, Magic played Center and dropped like 40/18/10, dont quote me, Im going off the top of my head. Magics impact trascended the game, he was basketball, CP3 is a very good basketball player, theres a great difference. Magic along with Bird saved the game and propelled it to heights that can never be duplicated, Magic was everything man. CP3 is great, very great, but it still pales in comparison to the legacy of Magic.

And I havent even mentioned his 5 Championships, the personal accolades, etc Come on mane, it becomes more of a landslide the more I text, but I digress.

Granted, of all of this in the middle of Pauls careere, all he has to do is win at least 5 chips and win a few MVP's and yeah, he'll be at least in the same area code of Magic. But it could happen right? We'll see. But Tony Parker kinda owns him right? Random trivia I guess.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You have to understand that most teams did not guard Magic with their point guard with him, being 6,9. If a Showtime Laker team played a modern day Clipper team, I doubt CP3 or Magic would even guard each other, sort of similar to how superstars tend not guard each other in today's game ... Magic would probably be guarded by departed Hill or Butler, maybe Dudley. While, Cooper or Scott would obviously guard CP3.

Magic is much too big for Paul to guard, while CP3 has a bit too much speed and shiftiness for Magic.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Lakers pretty much always paired Magic with a smaller quicker guard like Norm Nixon, Byron Scott or Larry Drew (or Michael Cooper, an elite perimeter defender) to prevent this kind of mismatch.

And you're correct - the opposing team's PG took Drew/Nixon/Scott while the SG/SF took Magic.

16. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Magic and it's not even close. 4.83% should be ashamed of yourselves.