1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Magic or CP3

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockbox, Jul 15, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who was better

1. Magic

95.2%
  2. CP3

4.8%
  1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

This.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Id take cp3 over nash,but I agree with u.

3. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

Totally agree!

4. MonKing

MonKing Member

That's a valid point. I like ALL the players from the time when I was in high school and college. There is something about becoming a fan of a player at the same time you are becoming a fan of the game that can amplify your perception.

Still, true greatness like Magic's shines through. Kobe (who picked Magic as one of his top 5 players), Shaq, Tim Duncan, Lebron - all those guys hit their career strides after work and life obligations made me tone down my fandom, after "my formative years" as you put it. But their greatness is still obvious, no matter what your favorite era.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Paul is a great point guard

Magic is a legend

Not a slight to Paul...he is a phenomenal point guard, but Magic is the GOAT at that position

6. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

This thread is disrespecting Magic.

CP3? Really?

1 person likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am wondering what the average age is of the posters who picked CP3.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

9. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

CP3's advanced stats are INSANE. I understand the love for Zeke, but there really is no statistical comparison between them, at all. The only PGs who come close to CP3 are Stockton and Nash, each of whom had the bizarre ability like CP3 to be one of the league leaders in TS% despite being a PG. These are the only PGs who have ever been able to do that.

CP3 is comparable to Stockton in steals, equal to Stockton and Nash in passing, and then far far better in creating his own shot. Zeke could create a shot too but he just didn't shoot as well as CP3.

That being said, Magic is obviously better. CP3 is the best pure PG of all time. But Magic transcended positions.

1 person likes this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How can you say CP3 is more of a pure PG than Magic. Magic averages 11 assists per game for a career and has every single game assist record imaginable. Magic directed traffic better than anyone.

BTW, Magic had a better TS% than Paul and averaged more assists with half the usage and assist percentage. In other words, Magic did what he did without dominating the ball. Paul's numbers are crazy inflated because he has the ball in his hands 80 percent of the time.

#90 rockbox, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  11. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Ok I forgot Magic also had an awesome TS%.

I don't think it's fair to compare raw assist numbers. It was a much much faster game in the 80s. IMO a better gauge is A/TO ratio. Magic was at nearly 3:1 for his career. But Paul is over 4:1. That is ludicrous. In fact it's even more difficult when you dominate the ball like Paul does. Virtually every high usage player has a diminished A/TO player because defenses key in on them. But Paul has the best A/TO in history despite this.

But let me repeat, of course I would take Magic over Paul. He is an impossible matchup that contributed in every facet of the game. Paul is great, but he is too small to contribute to the tasks of the big fellas.

12. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

cp3 is great pg, but he is a lightyears away from magic

13. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Ask me again when Paul can carry his team to championship without having the ball in his hand for over 80% of the game.

There is just no way anyone can choose CP3 if they have watched Magic played.

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Feel sorry for these people...

713, AFS, Akim523, BEAT LA, Dwight2HOU, homie300, jayydela, lean, New Generation, QazQay, trowa2, Vin

15. langal

langal Contributing Member

at basketball?

1 person likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great question! I'm scratching my head wondering why Magic didn't get 100%. Chris Paul is a great point guard, but he's no Magic Johnson.

17. Precision340

Precision340 Member

magic had the size and the court vision.. no contest

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I'm 22 so its not like I watched Magic play live. But its the same way i got used to Hakeem, watching hardwood classics and clips on NBAtv.

I can even admit that the greatest era of basketball was one I never saw, the 80s. The league is like charmin soft compared to those days, the Pistons were a group of Ron Artest badboys and the Celtics, Lakers, and sixers were no laughing matter either.

1 person likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What refreshing honesty, and a nice sense of perspective. Props!

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The ruthless defensive oriented NBA of the 80's where teams averaged 120 points a night (without taking many 3's) and the best era-defining defensive teams put up numbers that would make Tom Thibodeaux piss his pants with laughter (true story - Tom Thibodeaux hasn't laughed or urinated since 1977).

I hear it was legal to murder a man on defense back then, which is why there were so many fast breaks!

1 person likes this.