1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Magic Numbers against the Western Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Crush

Crush Rookie

We can dominate the eastern teams. All we have to do is get over the Laker hump

It will be epic

2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I really feel like this could shape up to be a very special year. My dream bracket is:
    1) Lakers
    2) Rockets
    3) Nuggets
    4) Blazers
    5) Spurs
    6) Hornets
    7) Mavs
    8) Jazz

That could easily happen with the Rockets and Blazers winning.

We should go to the WCF in that bracket. We're 3-1 against the Nuggets and Hornets. We would also be 3-1 against the Mavs if we beat them tomorrow. We would also have home court. I think we could even take down the Nuggets without home court if we were the #3 seed.

Who knows. Maybe the Jazz or Blazers could knock the Lakers out and open a really clear path to a title. If not, they can at least beat them up and leave them bruised for a showdown in the WCF.

3. Jerry

Jerry Member

From what I see in the SA/GS game yesterday, Duncan's condition is not as bad as most people think. He got 16/13 within 22 minutes, still very efficient.

I agree that Dallas may not tank, but I just don't believe they would fight all out to avoid Rockets (and face the Spurs) in the first round.

4. ibm

ibm Member

that's a little too good to be true, :cool: although not impossible. but the wcf path is very clear if we win tomorrow. yes, we can beat the denver team without the hca.

if we do get there and face the lakers, i hope all the rockets just treated as a once-in-a-lifetime kinda opportunity. in a way, it's virtually like the finals. though the odds are not on our side, but who knows what's gonna happen if we gain a little momentum at a right time.

5. ScriboErgoSum

The Rockets have a lot more riding on that game now that the Jazz are locked into #8. A Mav win maybe gets them #6 and a showdown with the Spurs. A loss definitely puts them at #7 against the Rockets or Nuggets. They probably don't want to see the Nuggets, who swept them this year. The Mavs actually played the Spurs pretty well and split the season series.

Still the Rockets are playing for home court and possibly the #2 seed. A loss could see them drop to #5. They should have a ton more motivation to win that game.

6. ScriboErgoSum

You just never know. I've seen some crazy stuff happen over the years, and some pretty underdog teams (Heat, Cavs) win conference finals. You have to be in it to win it. I still wouldn't put money on us getting past the WCF, but if we get there it's at least possible.

7. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I'm going to say it again. How big was that win in San Antonio that was won with 2 game winning layups by Scola? Just look back at what the Rockets were doing back then. We were already kind of on a roll, having beaten Denver, Hornets and Mavs on the road. But that win changed everything. Suddenly we had a realistic shot at the division title.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ugh, I would rather face New Orleans than Dallas. Dallas can be dangerous when they heat up and I would loathe them having two series over us.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the best team for us to play is portland but in no way is that worth falling into the 4/5 seed and the lakers bracket. new orleans and dallas are washes as far as talent and danger level but with the home court we should be favored to win against either team and I expect us to do just that.

Our very obvious best scenario is to win tomorrow and hope denver loses and play whoever is #7. this will give us homecourt in at least the first 2 rounds.

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Dallas dont scare me.

Dirk, Kidd and Terry, and occasionally Howard might get 15 pts or something.

What happened to all their depth??

I'd love to draw them rd 1, lets smash them tomorrow though.

11. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

lol..me and u
    haha..we both want dallas in the first round.

i just think i can't get over the 04-05 series till we beat them in a series also.

can't believe today is the last day of the regular season!

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

This is whats most likely:

13. rage

rage Member

Isn't this crazy? One game to go and we can still face any of the 4 teams in the 1st round with or without home court.

14. Jimes

Jimes Member

Here's to hoping we do play them in the WCF.

15. ringin08

ringin08 Member

You are right on the money with everything in this post! Great analysis.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We've played very well vs Portland this season, but the Blazers are on fire right now. 9-1 in their last 10. The good news is that Houston is that 1 loss. :D

17. rhinomft

rhinomft Member

Man Scrib, I've appreciated all your posts. I moved to Dallas three months ago and this has been my main lifeline to Rox chatter. I'm going to the game tonight and can't wait. I got tix about a month ago thinking there might be a lot on the line with this game, but it played out even better than I thought. I will be cheering loud and proud!! :D

18. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Cool, another Dallas Rockets fan! You should keep your eyes peeled for game viewings with other Rockets fans up here in DOLLass.

I'll be at the game tonight too. Section 315, row E. I'll be in head to toe Rox gear. Where you sitting?

19. Robert

Robert Contributing Member

20. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

This year's playoff seeding is even crazier than last year. Teams 2-8 are pretty much in the same tier, which is a tier below the Lakers, Cavs, Celtics.

All I care is that we do not NOT land the 4th or 5th seed. I do not want to see the Lakers in the 2nd round. IMO, I wish the Lakers get banged up by the Jazz only to play the Blazers which has the chance, and there's always a chance that BRoy can upset Kobe&Co. If not, by the time we DO and if we do, we can face an exhausted, weary Laker team. Rox can still lose to a tired Laker team but at least we still have an off-chance of beating them.

And then we play Cavs in the finals, which is my dream setting. LeBron is easier to contain than Kobe. I really think the Lakers is a harder opponent than the Cavs.