1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Numbers against the Western Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Another item against tanking is this: WE WANT THE BLAZERS TO PLAY THE LAKERS IN THE SECOND ROUND. If there is anybody who can beat the Lakers in the west it's Portland. Even if they don't beat them, they could extend it out to seven games.

My Favorite scenario is this one which is full of tension:

Utah beats LA
    Houston beats Dallas
    SA beats NO
    and then we all get to sit in torture as Portland and Denver play:

If Denver wins it ends like this (which we want to avoid):
    1. LA
    2. Denver
    3. Houston
    4. SA
    5. Portland
    6. Utah
    7. NO
    8. Dallas

BUT if Portland WINS:

1. LA
    2. Houston
    3. Denver
    4. Portland
    5. SA
    6. Utah
    7. NO
    8. Dallas

That would be awesome. That would set up best for Houston. I say bring the Jazz on but they are a good home team (despite Warriors victory) and I'm scared if it goes seven the Rockets might crack like 2 years ago. Of course no T-mac to jack up bad shots at the end of the game.

2. spikejames

spikejames Member

For me, it ain't fear, it's loathing. The Jazz irritate the heck out of me. Even if we sweep them, I'd rather face equivalent time in episodes of "The View" with all the hostesses talking non-stop at full volume at the same time than watch yet another freakin' playoff series against the Utah Spazz. Like cornered, injured wild dogs they will become more vicious, doubling-down on their flopping, hooking, cheating, lame brand of basketball. Jerry Sloan knows just one way of coaching, and it's bad for the game. I - do - not - want - to - see - them - in - the - playoffs.

Other than that, I have no opinion on the matter.

3. Hanbin

Hanbin Member

I'm with you for most of your post, except for the Utah beats LA part. I want Utah to play LA in the first round. Let's face it, Utah, Dallas and NO have about no chance of beating the Lakers, or even making it much of a series (probably).

But we do know one thing, no matter how the series goes, Utah is going to play their physical, floppy, fouling, lame basketball against the Lakers the whole way. 4 games of that is better for wearing on them than 6 games of Dallas or NO would ever be, I think. Then they can play Portland, and then hopefully the Rockets will be waiting for the winner.

4. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

it's not about beating utah..it's about not seeing them on my tv!

i hate them. i can't stand them. i really really hate them.

they whine, they flop, they cheat, they get away with murder!

let someone else deal with them.

if they played fair basketball like some of the other teams..i wouldnt care.

like say denver..when i think of that team..i dont get the intense urge to beat the hell out of something.

5. desertfire

desertfire Member

That's all well and good, but if you hate them enough to sacrifice the division crown, HCA, and a Lakerless bracket, then I agree with Scribo...you've gone made! ;)

6. ndnguy85

well does division title mean we get out of the first round?

does anyone remember who won the division title 3 years ago in the northwest divsion? no? ok..

i can't believe are saying how this dumb title means more than getting out of the first round and possibly avoid jazz and lakers till the wcf! :rolleyes:

7. desertfire

desertfire Member

You apparently didn't read the prior (recent) posts. Who said anything about not getting out of the first round (other than those of you afraid of the Jazz--you had just said you weren't afraid of the Jazz and now all of a sudden you imply we wouldn't get out of the first round, if we played them)?

The difference is not who wants the Rockets to get out of the first round. The difference is that some of us actually care about getting further and having our shot at the Lakers in the WCF. Winning the division means HCA and no Lakers until the WCF. That is more important than avoiding the Jazz. Go back and read the posts prior and you will see that is the argument I have made consistently. You, however, contradicted yourself in a span of two posts.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Is anyone else feeling all anxious and tingly and sweaty? No? Oh, uh, yeah...me neither.....

9. ndnguy85

maybe you misunderstood what i said. let me summarize for you.

do i want the rockets to get out of the first round? yes!

do i want to avoid playing the lakers till the wcf? yes

do i care about home court advantage? yes

if all those things require winning the division title..i am all for it. but if winning the division puts us against the jazz in the first round..then i doubt we need to worry about the wcf..cause we aint getting there.

uhm no. i believe i specifically said i didn't want the rockets to play the jazz in the first round..because of all the reasons i listed in my previous posts.

10. ndnguy85

hate doesn't mean i wanted to play them...

:confused:

11. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Yeah, probably better to just have Utah lose, but what's the fun in that? It will make the Denver Portland game all the more important. Also, I want the second seed AND to play New Orleans, who is the team I fear the least, and if Utah loses, that can't happen.

12. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

Nothing worse than a bunch of p***y fans! Bring on the Jazz!

13. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Hey Clutch, ban me and about a hundred guys here. I'll help you in anyway I'm able.

I'm so proud of this team and I've never been this ashamed to be a Rockets fan. People should rent more movies.

14. desertfire

desertfire Member

I am having a difficult time understanding how in one post you don't want to play the Jazz because you don't like them (don't want to see them on your T.V. etc.) and in this post and another you claim that you don't want the Jazz because they will beat us.

You explictily say above that we are not getting to the WCF if we face the Jazz in the first round. If that isn't a fearful and defeatist attitude, I don't know what is. So forgive my confusion, but despite your "summary" I am still getting mixed messages. Either you don't want to play the Jazz because you don't like the style of play and attitude (which is what you originally claimed) or you don't want to see them because you are afraid...almost certain they will beat the Rockets. I suppose it could be both, but you keep claiming one and then the other.

15. desertfire

desertfire Member

Yes, I know that. Yet, you supposedly hate them enough to sacrifice all the benefits of a high seed just to avoid them. Then later your true motive comes out (i.e. let's avoid them because we surely can't get past them).

16. ndnguy85

Western Conference seeds

1. LOS ANGELES LAKERS
    2. Houston
    3. Denver
    4. Portland
    5. San Antonio
    6. New Orleans
    7. Dallas
    8. Utah

Houston will be seeded:
    #2 if Rockets win and Nuggets lose

Denver will be seeded:
    #3 if Nuggets lose and Rockets win

Portland will be seeded:
    #4 if Blazers win and either Rockets or Spurs win (or both win) OR if Blazers and Spurs both lose.

San Antonio will be seeded:
    #5 if Spurs lose OR if Rockets and Blazers win.

New Orleans will be seeded:
    #6 if Hornets win OR if Mavericks and Jazz lose.

Dallas will be seeded:
    #7 if Mavericks win and Hornets win OR if Mavericks lose and Jazz lose.

Utah will be seeded:
    #8 if Jazz lose OR Hornets and Mavericks win.

lets hope for that. :)

17. ndnguy85

all the scenarios affected by these 4 games.

Utah @ Lakers

Houston @ Dallas
    New Orleans @ San Antonio
    Denver @ Portland

18. ndnguy85

why does it have to be one or the other?

it's both.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Chances are most likely:

Rockets WIN

Hornets LOSE

Mavericks LOSE

Nuggets/Blazers Too close to call

No Jazz in first round!!! Okay???

Don't u guys get we don't want Jazz??? wats so good about the division title and the 2nd seed??? Playoffs start 0-0!

20. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

whats the online website where u can watch live games... its live atv something... or something, starts win an A