1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Numbers against the Western Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Feb 20, 2009.

1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Thanks Scribo... Bet you can't wait for Wednesday, haha.

"Utah win + N.O. win + Denver loss + Rockets Win = Rockets 2nd seed vs. Utah 7th seed"

Eh... Not good. Go Lakers.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

We don't really have a bracket yet, do we?

The Jazz could lose tomorrow, locking into the 8 spot, and with a Spurs win and a Blazers win combined with a Rockets loss, we could end up 5th, right?

3. Mailman

Mailman Member

The odds of both the Hornets and Jazz winning road games against the Spurs and Lakers are slim IMO.

4. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

Lakers will not tank against the Jazz because of pride!

Infact, I'd say they would demolish the Jazz and send a message to the rest of the league.

5. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

if we get second or third seed, which day would we play for playoffs??? saturday or sunday?..

would anybody happen to know this

6. rawool

rawool Member

We won't find out until late Wednesday/Thursday morning.

7. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Sometimes I don't know how the Numbers work... :eek:

I think it'll shake out:
    1) Lakers
    2) Rockets
    3) Nuggets
    4) Blazers
    5) Spurs
    6) Hornets
    7) Mavs
    8) Jazz

8. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Ideal situation for Rox:
    Seed #2 or #3
    Blazers #4
    Jazz #8

If all that falls into place, we're looking at a chance at making the WCF. Exciting to think about.

Whatever it takes to get that done, do it guys!

LETS GO ROCKETS!

9. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I think a #2 Rockets > Spurs > Blazers scenario is impossible. The Blazers have the tie breaker over the Spurs. And the Blazers also have to beat the Nuggets for us to be #2.

10. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

Thanks Scribo.

Don't we have the overall tiebreak against the Hornets due to our head-to-head matchups? I think at this point the overall tiebreak favors the Rockets over every other Western conf. playoff team save for the Lakers and Spurs.

1 person likes this.
  11. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

We have to remember the Jazz/Lakers and Nuggets/Blazers games are after most of the other games. So they could play accordingly.

The NBA should have started the games at the same time.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Jazz @ Lakers is tomorrow, a full day before the main event on Wednesday.

13. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Sorry, my bad. Somehow I forgot that. Cool!

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

La win, Denver win, Hou win--- then what??????????? :p

15. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

1. Lakers
    2. Denver
    3. Rockets
    4/5. Spurs/Blazers

You need to predict the Spurs/Hornets game in order to accurately produce the final standings.

16. bratna8

bratna8 Member

We're 3rd seed if we win.

17. Jerry

Jerry Member

Actually the situation is not as messy as it looks like.

If we look closely, the outcome of several crucial games are not that unpredictable:

(Just my two cents:)

First : NO will lose in SA. As we saw in today's game, NO got no chemistry or momentum going, while on the contrary, SA play at home and with too much at stake: home court and division champ. I don't see any chance of NO upset.

Second : Denver will lose in Portland. Denver already clinched NW division champ and first round home court (either 2nd or 3rd seed), while Portland is playing at home and fighting for home court. I am not saying Denver would tank, but they just don't have as much incentive to fight for. It's more like a win for Portland.

With above assumptions, we are locked to be either 2nd seed or 5th seed depending on the outcome of dallas game, no matter Utah beats Lakers or not.

Here is why:

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver loss + Rockets Win = Rockets 2nd seed vs. N.O. 7th seed (Utah 6th seeds, dallas 8th)

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver loss + Rockets Loss = Rockets 5th seed vs. Potland 4th seed (Utah 7th seeds, dallas 6th)

Utah Loss + N.O. loss + Denver loss + Rockets Win = Rockets 2nd seed vs. Dallas 7th seed (Utah 8th seeds, dallas 7th)

Utah Loss + N.O. loss + Denver loss + Rockets Loss = Rockets 5th seed vs. Potland 4th seed (Utah 8th seeds, dallas 6th)

Now, if go further:

If Utah loss against Lakers: We have a much bigger chance of winning in Dallas, cause Utah would have locked 8th seed, and Dallas will have no incentive beating Houston, they will either face Houston in First round ( by losing to Houston) or face SA ( by beating Houston). If you were Dallas, who would you pick in the first round? I would expect Dallas resting JH and Dirk, and a Houston win in Dallas.

If Utah wins in LA: Dallas will fight like crazy to avoid Lakers in the first round. I would predict a Houston road loss in Dallas.

That leave us with two most possible outcome:

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver loss + Rockets Loss = Rockets 5th seed vs. Potland 4th seed (Utah 7th seeds, dallas 6th)
    Utah Loss + N.O. loss + Denver loss + Rockets Win = Rockets 2nd seed vs. Dallas 7th seed (Utah 8th seeds, dallas 7th)

Now back to the Utah/Lakers, if I have to pick, I think Laker would win out. I just don't think Lakers would tank, plus Utah is a horrible road team.

So here is my prediction:

Just for fun..

1 person likes this.
  18. wang69

wang69 Member

you raise some good points about the likelihood of spurs and blazers winning out. i agree that the two most likely scenarios are rockets 2nd seed vs NOH 7th seed or rockets 2nd seed vs dallas 7th seed. the only difference is dependent on the outcome of UTH-LAL game tomorrow.

19. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Those idiots at ESPN have us in 4th... pretty sure we are third now we tied them on division.

nvm noticed nba.com has us in the right spot!

20. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

Sportscenter correctly had the Rockets in 3rd.