1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Numbers against the Western Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Feb 20, 2009.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

That is an interesting question. Maybe they'll create a new one with just one entry and the new logo/colors while keeping the old one intact. I like that idea to preserve the history.

2. lalala902102001

They just beat the Kings.

3. lalala902102001

The only way that happens is if both SA and Portland lose at home...I think. I don't see that happening.

4. Electro

Electro Member

ur right, i failed to realize this.

5. ths balla

ths balla Member

Its confusing but here are the 8 different scenarios for you, i believe there all accurate.....

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver loss + Rockets Win = Rockets 2nd seed vs. N.O. 7th seed

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver loss + Rockets Loss = Rockets 5th seed vs. Potland 4th seed

Utah win + N.O. win + Denver loss + Rockets Win = Rockets 2nd seed vs. Utah 7th seed

Utah win + N.O. win + Denver loss + Rockets Loss = Rockets 4th seed vs. S.A 5th seed

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver win + Rockets Win = Rockets 3rd seed vs. Utah 6th seed

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver win + Rockets Loss = Rockets 4th seed vs. Portland 5th seed

Utah win + N.O. win + Denver win + Rockets Win = Rockets 3rd seed vs. New Orleans 6th seed

Utah win + N.O. win + Denver win + Rockets Loss = Rockets 3rd seed vs. New Orleans 6th seed

.....Any Utah loss has them as an automatic 8th seed

6. Electro

Electro Member

portland beating denver could be good though

whatever it takes this is what i'm wanting:

1LAkers
    2Nuggz
    3Rox
    4Spurs
    5Blazers
    6Hornets
    7Mavs
    8Jazz

7. Mailman

Mailman Member

Not necessarily. Assuming the Rockets win at Dallas, their opponent will also be determined by the result of the Hornets/Spurs game. If the Jazz, Hornets, and Mavs all finish tied at 49-33, the Rockets would play the Hornets because the Jazz own the tiebreaker among those three teams. Dallas would be #8.

[quote[If the Rockets lose @ Dallas on Wednesday, we will play Portland without WCA.

Is this right?[/QUOTE]

Only if Portland beats Denver.

8. Mailman

Mailman Member

Booooo!

New Orleans is not taking out SAS on the road.

9. lalala902102001

You are right. I was assuming a SA win against the Hornets at home.

If the Spurs lose to Hornets and Denver, Houston, and Porltand finish in three-way tie, are we second or third seed?

10. ths balla

ths balla Member

Its confusing but here are the 8 different scenarios for you, i believe there all accurate.....

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver loss + Rockets Win = Rockets 2nd seed vs. N.O. 7th seed

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver loss + Rockets Loss = Rockets 5th seed vs. Potland 4th seed

Utah win + N.O. win + Denver loss + Rockets Win = Rockets 2nd seed vs. Utah 7th seed

Utah win + N.O. win + Denver loss + Rockets Loss = Rockets 4th seed vs. S.A 5th seed

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver win + Rockets Win = Rockets 3rd seed vs. Utah 6th seed

Utah win + N.O. loss + Denver win + Rockets Loss = Rockets 4th seed vs. Portland 5th seed

Utah win + N.O. win + Denver win + Rockets Win = Rockets 3rd seed vs. New Orleans 6th seed

Utah win + N.O. win + Denver win + Rockets Loss = Rockets 3rd seed vs. New Orleans 6th seed

.....Any Utah loss has them as an automatic 8th seed

11. Mailman

Mailman Member

See, that game was such a gimme that I didn't even look to see when they played.

12. Mailman

Mailman Member

Second.

13. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

if the jazz win tomorrow, this team needs to take a dive against the mavs.

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Glad to have your insight on the board, but your moniker instantly made me think of the "Devil" known as Karl Malone. :p

So...I think it's a sign that we will not face the Jazz. :)

15. Mailman

Mailman Member

That would really kinda suck if the Rockets won the SW title and the second seed only for the Spurs to gag a home game to the struggling Hornets. That would mean another matchup with the j*zz. Yay.

16. lalala902102001

This picture will be lot clearer after the Utah game tomorrow.

I hope they lose.

17. tsunami

tsunami Member

dont' think they could Lakers in LA in the 2nd game of a back to back...

18. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Games&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Con&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Overall&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Magic&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</B>
    <B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Team&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W/L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L10&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Left&nbsp;&nbsp; TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Conf&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;TieBreak&nbsp;&nbsp;Number &nbsp;Diff</B>
    &nbsp;1&nbsp;Lakers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;64-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;43-8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;13</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;2&nbsp;Nuggets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;54-27&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;35-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;3&nbsp;Rockets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;53-28&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;35-16
    &nbsp;4&nbsp;Blazers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;53-28&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;31-20&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;5&nbsp;Spurs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;53-28&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;35-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    &nbsp;6&nbsp;Hornets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5-5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;30-21&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Exterminated</B>
    &nbsp;7&nbsp;Mavericks&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-32&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-9&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;28-23&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Bridled</B>
    &nbsp;8&nbsp;Jazz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;48-33&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4-6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;33-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Silenced</B>

* Indicates the Tie Break is final

<B>Clinched the #5 seed</B>

Here is the latest batch of Magic Numbers after all games were played on <B>April 13</B>.

We’re almost there. Only 2 days remain, and every team has only 1 game left on their schedule. The Rockets are on the verge of their first division title in 15 years and with a bit of help the #2 seed and an extremely favorable Playoff bracket. I’m laying out all the scenarios in this long Magic Number edition.

I’ve got to say I can’t wait for Wednesday night to get here so we finally know how this will all end. A few nights ago, I woke myself and my wife in the middle of the night when I shouted out “3.” I don’t know what scenario I was running through my head while I was supposed to be resting, but the madness will stop in 48 hours (cue maniacal laughter).

And for the record. If there is a 4 way tie between Houston, Enver, Portland, and SA. The division winners are Houston and Enver, and they would be seeded Houston, Enver, Portland, SA.

Rockets Stomp All Over Hornets
    The Rockets picked up a sweet victory over the Hornets tonight. They started out a bit lethargic in the first quarter then simply demolished the Hornets the remainder of the game in picking up their fifth straight win. The defense in the second and third quarters was smothering. Yao put to rest any doubts about his foot with 22 points and 7 boards, and Scola had another strong performance with 15 rebounds. Carl Freaking Landry continues to pick up steam with 10 points and 7 rebounds, and the Red Baron came off the bench to score 13 points. This team is peaking at the absolute right time and can clinch the Southwest division with a win over the Mavs. I’m calling it right now. This team will win in Dallas on Wednesday.

With a win @Mavs
    Rockets are #2 and Southwest champ with a Nugget loss
    Rockets are #3 and Southwest champ with a Nugget win

With a loss @Mavs
    Rockets are #3 and Southwest champ with a Spur loss AND a Blazer loss
    Rockets are #4 and Southwest champ with a Spur loss AND a Blazer win
    Rockets are #4 with a Spur win AND a Blazer loss
    Rockets are #5 with a Spur win AND a Blazer win

The Rest of Monday’s Games
    The Mavs had a golden opportunity to avoid the #8 seed with a win over the visiting Wolves, but they nearly blew their chance. Minnesota led for much of this game, until the Mavs went on a 4th quarter rally, capped by Jason Terry’s game-winner with .2 seconds remaining. Dirk had 34 points and 9 rebounds, and Jason Terry scored 22 off the bench for the Mavs, who move into a tie with the Hornets for #6 and remain a game up on the Jazz. Mike Miller had 18 points, 10 rebounds, and 9 assists for the Wolves.

Suckramento gave the Nuggets a run for their money. They closed within 1 late in the third quarter, but Enver steamrolled the poor Kings from that point on. The victory gives the Nuggets the Northwest Division crown and a top 3 seed. They can clinch the #2 seed with a win in Portland or a Rocket loss in Dallas. Carmelo had 21 points, 9 rebounds, and 9 assists, and J.R. Smith scored 45 off the bench for the Nuggets. Ike Diogu had 32 points and 11 rebounds for Suckramento, who comes up short. Again. With their loss tonight the Kings clinch the worst record in the NBA.

The Jazz have been reeling, but the NBA schedule makers gave them the perfect tonic: a visit by the Clippers. Utah took full advantage and massacred the JV team from LA. We’ll see what they can do against the Lakers in LA tomorrow. A loss gives them the #8 seed. Deron Williams played 2 days after injuring his ribs. He had 17 points and 9 assists but shot just 3-11. Carols Boozer put up 20 points and 13 rebounds, and Paul Milsap added 19 points and 11 boards for the Jazz. No scoreboard highlights for the Clippers because they’re not a real NBA team.

The Blazers aren’t winning the Northwest division this year, but they certainly want home court advantage. They are on the verge of clinching it after they annihilated the visiting Thieves. That’s 9 wins in their last 10 games for the Blazers, who can guarantee themselves home court in the first round with a win over the Nuggets in Portland on Wednesday. Greg Oden had 16 points and 9 rebounds, and Brandon Roy scored 20 for the Blazers. Russell Westbrook had 15 points and 7 assists for the Thieves.

The Spurs hadn’t been looking too good on back-to-backs, but they got their groove back playing in GolXen State as they hammered the short-handed Warriors. The Spurs were up by 30 after 3 and got to rest all of their starters. Timmy finished with 16 points and 13 rebounds, and Drew Gooden had 20 points and 15 boards for the Spurs.

Magic Numbers #2 - #5
    2 Nuggets: @Blazers
    Magic Number over Rockets: 1 (-1)

With a win @Blazers
    Nuggets are #2

With a loss @Blazers
    Nuggets are #2 with a Rocket loss
    Nuggets are #3 with a Rocket win

4 Blazers: Nuggets
    Magic Number over Rockets: 2 (-1)
    Magic Number over Spurs: 1 (-1)

With a win against Nuggets
    Blazers are #3 with a Rocket loss AND a Spur loss
    Blazers are #4 with a Rocket win
    Blazers are #4 with a Spur win

With a loss against Nuggets
    Blazers are #4 with a Spur loss
    Blazers are #5 with a Spur win

5 Spurs: Hornets
    Magic Number over Rockets: 2 (-1)
    Magic Number over Blazers: 2 (-1)

With a win against Hornets
    Spurs are #3 and Southwest champ with a Rocket loss
    Spurs are #4 with a Rocket win AND a Blazer loss
    Spurs are #5 with a Rocket win AND a Blazer win

With a loss against Hornets
    Spurs are #5

Magic Numbers #6 - #8
    6 Hornets: @Spurs
    Magic Number over Jazz: 1
    Magic Number over Mavs: 1

With a win @Spurs
    Hornets are #6

With a loss @Spurs
    Hornets are #6 with a Mav loss AND a Jazz loss
    Hornets are #7 with a Mav win AND a Jazz loss
    Hornets are #7 with a Mav loss AND a Jazz win
    Hornets are #8 with a Mav win AND a Jazz win

7 Mavs: Rockets
    Magic Number over Jazz: 1 (-1)
    Magic Number over Hornets: 2 (-1)

With a win against Rockets
    Mavs are #6 with a Hornet loss
    Mavs are #7 with a Hornet win

With a loss against Rockets
    Mavs are #7 with a Jazz loss
    Mavs are #8 with a Jazz win

8 Jazz: @Lakers
    Magic Number over Mavs: 2 (-1)
    Magic Number over Hornets: 2 (-2)

With a win @Lakers
    Jazz are #6 with a Mav loss AND a Hornet loss
    Jazz are #7 with a Mav win AND a Hornet loss
    Jazz are #7 with a Mav loss AND a Hornet win
    Jazz are #8 with a Mav win AND a Hornet win

With a loss @Lakers
    Jazz are #8

The Lakers have nothing to play for but pride tomorrow night when they host the Jazz. With a win they will face Utah in Round 1, but even if the Jazz win, the Lakers could still face them. I think Phil will play his starters to get them acclimated to playing with Bynum and also to send a message to the Jazz that they are not afraid of Utah. I like the Lakers big in this game, especially with the way the Jazz having been playing lately (not counting the Clippers game, because once again they’re not a real team). It would certainly be nice to see the Jazz #8 and out of our bracket.

On tap for Tuesday: Jazz at Lakers

#1198 ScriboErgoSum, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  19. Mailman

Mailman Member

No worries. The Lakers will mudstomp them tomorrow night.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Thanks, Scribo.

While I don't understand how the numbers work, I appreciate the effort.

Who do you feel we'll be playing in your gut?