1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Number for the Rockets against West Playoff Contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Disclaimer: The Rockets are much better WITH Yao. However, it definitely doesn't hurt us as badly in a Utah series. Yao doesn't have to chase Okur around the perimeter and guard Boozer. I think Scola, Landry, and Hayes with a bit of Deke thrown in can match up quite well with the Jazz.

My dream matchup in the first round goes as follows: Nuggets, Mavs (sans Dirk), Jazz.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree.

3. ScriboErgoSum

<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Games&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Con&nbsp; Overall&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Magic&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</B>
    <B>Team&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W/L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Left&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Conf&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;TieBreak&nbsp;&nbsp;Number Diff</B>
    Rockets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;48-23&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;26-15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Lakers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-22&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;30-13&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;12</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Hornets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;47-21&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;10-5&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;31-14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;14</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Jazz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;46-25&nbsp;&nbsp;1-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;27-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Suns&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;47-23&nbsp;&nbsp;1-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;25-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;12</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-2)
    Spurs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;47-23&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;25-16&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;12</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Mavericks&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;44-26&nbsp;&nbsp;1-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-6&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;26-14&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Warriors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;43-27&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;23-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-2)
    Nuggets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;43-28&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;24-17&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;(-1)
    Blazers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;37-34&nbsp;&nbsp;3-0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;23-20&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;Extinguished</B>
    Kings&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;31-39&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;N/A&nbsp;&nbsp;X&nbsp;&nbsp;14-27&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Deposed</B>

* Indicates that the Tie Break is final and cannot be changed due to the outcomes of upcoming games. The Magic Numbers are calculated on an assumption that we will lose the Tie Break unless it's already been clinched. If we clinch a Tie Break, that will drop the Magic Number 1 point.

<B>Clinched #9 Seed</B>

Here is the latest batch of Magic Numbers after all games were played on <B>March 24</B>.

Great to see the Rockets take care of the Kings tonight. Another winning streak brewing? Their win drops all Magic Numbers 1.

The Rockets win combined with the Blazers loss means they have officially clinched the #9 seed over the Portland. Next up: Nuggets\Warriors\Mavericks, the #8 seed, and a playoff berth.

The Suns lost to the Pistons, and the Warriors lost to the Lakers in an overtime thriller. Suns and Warriors Magic Numbers drop an additional point.

The Nuggets beat the Grizzlies, and the Lakers took the aforementioned second game of their home and home with the Warriors.

On tap for Tuesday: Hornets at Pacers, Spurs at Magic, Clippers at Mavs, Bobcats at Jazz

4. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Great Job Scribo as usual updating those sheets.

It is interesting to note that the overall number of victories that the Rockets need to clinch the playoffs is only 6 games (not 7 games).

The reason for that is that the warriors and the nuggets have two remaining games against each other. Meaning if the Nuggets wins both games, the warriors magic number drops to 6. If the warriors wins both games, the nuggets magic number drops to 5. If they split, the nuggets magic number drops to 6.

5. pangzi

pangzi Member

We don't have tie breaker against the warriers, period. The tie breaker only apply to teams with tied records. For the warriers to catch us, they are going to have to overcome 4 games. However we only have two game ahead of them in the conference record.

Same thing applied to the nuggets if we lose to them later in the season.

6. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

I see what you are saying. It's a little misleading to see the Rockets have the tiebreaker advantage over the Warriors. And the only thing worth listing for the Nuggets is the head to head.

Still, don't frustrate scribo. His work is great. A must check after every Rockets win.

7. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I'm loving this thread, thanks ScriboErgoSum

8. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

While I agree with you that the "overall tiebreak" column is misleading for the warriors and the nuggets, the calculations of the magic numbers by Scribo are correct and are based on the worst case scenarios for the Rockets, which means as if we already lost the tie breaker.

9. ScriboErgoSum

True, the Magic Numbers are guaranteed to drop. Also in the next 5 games, the Mavs play the Warriors twice, and the Mavs play the Nuggets, which would bring the Mavs or another of the teams to 6 (or lower). I'm just going to let it play out though. That's the nice thing about the Western Conference: Teams beat each other up almost every day.

Agreed. We don't have the Tie Breaker clinched over these teams, but we technically have it right now (same with Spurs and Jazz). I calculate the Magic Number as if we will lose the Tie Breaker (even if it says Yes), and then if we do clinch it, I drop the Magic Number an additional point (if we beat the Spurs Sunday, their Magic Number drops 3, etc.). The teams that have a * by their Overall Tie Break means it will not change, no matter the result of later games.

I like to see where the Overall Tie Break is on a daily basis because it can change as we play each of the Contenders and as Conference Records go up and down. It's all part of the horse race that is the 2008 Western Conference Playoff Race.

Thanks again to COMPAQ CENTER for helping me finetune the Magic Numbers and Tie Break situation back at the beginning of the thread.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Like the work! Thanks for the effort!

Technically, we control our destiny with the Jazz, Mavs, Warriors, and Nugs as the magic numbers are fewer than our total games remaining. Realistically, I wouldn't blindly assume to guarantee more than 5 or 6 more wins. Spurs, Suns, Nuggets, Jazz are all going to be tough, and there's always the risk of dropping a couple games against a spoiler (last night almost was one).

We can almost guarantee a finish no worse than 6th now. Impossible to even try and guess at matchups since the top 6 are so tightly bunched. I'd say the most crucial mark to go for is 2nd in the division and best record outside of the division winners. Probably means keeping ahead of Suns and Spurs. Winning back the division from the Hornets would be icing, obviously.

Best case scenario: 6+ losses from the Spurs and Suns.
    Spurs "tough" games remaining: @Orl, Hou, GSW, @Uta, PHX, @LAL, Uta
    Suns toughies: @Bos, Den, @Den, Dal, @SAS, @Hou, GSW

Honestly, the Suns are going to be tough to catch - that's not the roughest schedule if those are their worst games ahead. They very well may plow through the end of the season. Spurs should drop at least 5 more games.

Time for us to take care of business!

Evan

11. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

I check this thread after each game too. EXCELLENT ANALYSIS & CONTRIBUTION!

12. ScriboErgoSum

We also control our destiny against the Spurs and Suns because we play them again.

Beating the Spurs would drop their Magic Number 3 (1 for the Rocket win, 1 for the Spurs loss, and 1 for clinching the Tie Break over them).

Same goes for the Suns. A win over them on April 11 drops them 2 (1 for the Rockets win and 1 for the Suns loss). That might also give us the Tie Breaker (we could split the Head to Head 2-2, but we have a 3 game lead in the loss column of the Conference Record), which would drop the Suns Number another point. Hopefully we've clinched a better Conference Record with the Suns by the time we play again.

Winning out would guarantee us the #3 Seed, no matter what the rest of the Western Conference did.

13. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

Scribo, How long are you going to keep Sactown and Portland on your list? Until they get eliminated from playoff contention?

As a Rockets fan, I don't care about them anymore since Houston has clinched a spot ahead of them.

14. ScriboErgoSum

I'm going to keep them on the list. I like seeing the body count behind us. I contemplated putting Sonics, Grizzlies, Wolves, and Clippers on the initial list.

It's good to remember that we have put away some teams even though we have 8 in front of us. :cool:

15. Little_Scott

Little_Scott Member

I like leaving them there so we can look at potential match-ups, amongst other things.

Thanks for the simple look at things Scribo. It's a lot of fun, too.
    PROPS!!

16. jboslett

jboslett Member

Great thread Scribo. Obviously, we all know what the rockets are doing whether win or loss, but this really helps show what other teams are doing.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

can we nominate scribo and this thread for some legit award?

Because both deserve it

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Great thread:

I just looked at the upcoming draw for New Orleans and they have 5 back to backs left in the season (5!) compared to our 2.

I know they've got something of a cushion on us with the tie-break, but 5 back to backs is a pretty big load to bear!

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Brilliant piece of work Scribo.Thanks for explaining the magic number to us.

20. ScriboErgoSum

Great observation. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out (Back to Backs in bold):
    <B>Mar 25 @Pacers (WIN)
    Mar 26 @ Cavs</B>
    Mar 28 @Celtics
    Mar 30 @Raptors
    <B>Apr 1 @Magic
    Apr 2 @Heat</B>
    Apr 4 Knicks
    Apr 6 Warriors
    <B>Apr 8 Jazz
    Apr 9 @Wolves
    Apr 11 @Lakers
    Apr 12 @Kings
    Apr 15 Clippers
    Apr 16 @Mavs</B>

They get some dog teams in the back half of 3 of their Back to Backs (Heat, Wolves, Kings), but the Cavs and Mavs (who might be playing to save their Playoff lives) are definitely going to be tough for them.

The other thing about that schedule is they get no more than one day off in a row until just before their last two games, which are Back to Back. Hopefully they get tired during this final run and drop a few extra games.