1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic just said one of them had to go! Now it becomes national...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by waihh, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Rowdie Brandon

that's the biggest difference I noticed....the teams record is better without Yao than, Tmac, BUT......when you trade tmac you will get talent back for him......I wouldn't trade Yao, because

A.) he's a big man and not as easy to replace
    B.) he's younger
    C.) tmac will never be a closer

I say trade She-mac for some talented players who can penetrate the lane and "close" out games.............

2. dunkinlos

dunkinlos Contributing Member

Bundle T-Mac with Battier to get us a really good 3 that wants to win.

I'm okay with Reefer and Brooks at point.

3. poprocks

poprocks Member

This is the hysteria you get when you lose. Everyone starts talking trade or fire the head coach. Rockets Management is undoubtedly taking a wait and see attitude. I doubt very much that they listen to us here on the bulletin board much less what comes out of Magic and Barkley's mouth.

4. dunkinlos

And they're smart for waiting. Best case scenario of course is T-Mac giving in to the new offense... And being okay with not taking 20+ shots a game.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Tmac taking 20 shots is not a problem, Tmac chucking 20 shots is a problem.

6. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

its not all on yao and tmac,they were getting praise THIS year when we were rolling,i hope last night and the comments about them light a fire under them. no matter how good we did last yr,tnt guys still think we suck,so who cares anymore

7. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Why the hell does anyone care what Magic Johnson has to say? His opinions re: Rockets are as meaningless as Barkley's.

8. dunkinlos

Yeah, but you know, it was really nice seeing the Rockets play basketball as a team last night... we had 5 guys in double figures. If T-Mac's taking 20, even if they're good shots and Yao's taking 20... that's at least half of the team's shots.

9. mbiker

mbiker Member

Magic may not know how to coach a team, or be a good GM, but he does know how an offense is suppose to flow. Great players make poor coaches because they are poor teachers and organizers. They can’t transfer their knowledge and mental toughness to others.

Magic was right on the money last night. We have been watching sluggish offense for a few years now. If you were watching Rick Adelman on the sidelines last night, you would see him get excited every time the Rockets ran a play correctly. He was shaking his head emphatically to communicate to the players on the court just how easy it could be for them if they follow certain motion offense set plays. It was the most animated that I’ve seen him this year. Why doesn’t the offense run as smoothly when Tracy is in? Tracy does not know how to move without the ball, which is required with the motion offense.

When Tracy and Yao are on the floor at the same time, the offense does not flow. One of the strangest things that I’ve noticed is that Tracey rarely drives to the basket when Yao is in the game, which forces Tracy to shoot outside even if he is having an off-night shooting.

10. poprocks

poprocks Member

Magic probably hasn't watched on Rocket game this year. Both he and Barkley get tip sheets and then makes opinions off them.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Or Jerry West, or oh wait....sometimes legends do make good GMs.

But I am sure Magic doesn't know a thing about winning basketball..

:rolleyes:

DD

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It't not Tmac or Yao. It's the other players that just stand there watching them when they are both on the court. The other players just stop making cuts or setting screens and wait on them to ISO.

13. ricky812

ricky812 Member

I am all for trading tmac if we don't get to the 2nd round this year, but I am really concerned about his value. I have followed him since his toronto days, and how he has declined athletically is stark. He doesn't play like a 28 year old man but a 35 year old man. This in addition to his injury history and lack of leadership in the playoffs puts his value much much lower than most people think on this forum. And his contract limits what we can get back. My prediction is if we try to trade tmac this summer, we won't be able to get anything reasonable back and we'll end up hanging onto him.

14. Blake

you could add Dumars, Joe to that list as well.

I disagree with Magic. I don't think we've had the supporting cast we need. We had it in 05, then lost Juwan. Then we got decimated by injuries. Then we choked with a stagnant offense. Now we have the players but they are not playing well. We'll turn it around

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

People here are claiming that since Magic was one of the all-time greats, he MUST know what players are good for what teams. That is clearly a myth. Knowing how to win on the court does not necessarily translate into knowing how to build a winning team. There are lots of sucky players who make great coaches and great GMs. And there are great players who are poor coaches and poor GMs.

Logically, you only need ONE counter example to debunk a necessity claim. We came up with not one but three counter examples. Case close.

16. ricky812

ricky812 Member

I thought I was the only one that noticed that too. I believe that was the reason we played better last year without yao than with both tmac and yao. Whether yao clogs the paint when he's in the game, or tmac just feels uncomfortable driving with yao there, i don't know, but i think that is the root of the problem.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

We cant trade him now. We wont get any value for him at this point. Do we want to trade Yao, probably not. What Magic said wont happy right now, period.

18. Panda

Panda Member

If we can't get much value for T-Mac in return, then it means nobody thinks T-Mac would carry us to the promised land.

19. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

If the opinions of Barkley and Magic were meaningless they would not have a job in TNT.

20. Blake

Sure they would. they are likeable, personable famous athletes.