1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Johnson on SR610 this morning

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigermission1, Apr 28, 2005.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, I was just leaving my house when I tuned in to SR610 this morning around 7am. And what do you know? Magic Johnson was in studio talking to John & Lance (ooh would I kill to do what they do for a living)

Anyways, Magic talked a good deal about the Rockets, McGrady, our role players, AND (to my surprise) he took some jabs basically at Steve Francis.

Now, the segment WILL REPEAT AT 10:25am, so TUNE IN

The reason why I just love hearing Magic's opinion on basketball is that he is probably the most fair-minded commentator on basketball out there. Magic just lacks that bitterness that characterizes guys like Charles Barkely and others. He is a big Lakers guys, obviously, and yet he was the FIRST person to say on TNT (with 4 weeks still left in the season, and with the Lakers still being in the playoff hunt) that in his opinion the Lakers were just not going to make it. He kept lamenting Kobe for the Shaq deal (in an indirect way of course), and has always called it like he saw it. I very much admire that, and that is why when Magic speaks, there is a lot of validity to what he says.

So tune in guys, I hope they play the whole segment uncut, it was a pretty nice deal.

He even signed off the segment by screaming "I am going to the Toyota Center tonight, and I want to see the WBSS perform and put on a show!":D

Magic is really a great guy. The Lakers are lucky to have a guy like that.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Magic is always pretty even-handed and fair, relatively low-key. It's a good counterpoint to Barkley, who's fun to watch if he's not talking about the Rockets. Any team that didn't get him a championship is fair game, it seems.

Magic is all right. No, not the sharpest stick in the bundle, but a great basketball mind and talent, and it's good to have someone like that on TNT. Better him than the old days when Barkley and Vecsey would go at it....man, that was so long ago, am I imagining right? Kind of a shame they didn't let Barkley throw Vecsey and his bottle of Jim Beam out the window.

3. tigermission1

Yah, totally agree...

BTW, for any of you Magic fans, Magic will be at Northline Mall between 11am-1pm this afternoon. So if you want to see him or get an autograph or something, here is a rare chance for us Houstonians.

Magic even talked a bit about the old Rockets during the 80s and stuff, made comments about Ralph Sampson, Dream, and others.

SR610 are going to have right after this break, so TUNE IN NOW!:)

4. BullFan

BullFan Member

The Magic Hour. That was BRUTAL

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Magic wasn't a greater talent than MJ he was at least his equal as a basketball player. Nobody N O B O D Y ever made his teammates better than The Magic Man!

6. Truth

Truth Member

Magic ripped Steve a new dookie chute.

"Steve Francis can't make other players better like Tracy can."

"No way could Van Gundy asked Steve what to do in that situation. (JVG asking T-Mac what did he want to do in the last seconds."

Also other things I can't remember.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

:eek: Could you imagine how bad that last play would have went if JVG asked Francis what he wanted to do in that situation. My gut says we would have seen a whole bunch of fancy dribbling followed by a fancy turnover.

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

tick. tick. tick. tick. tick.

Steve shoots up a 3

buuuuuuuuuuz!!!

He missed it, Game over - Dirks Brilliant!!! blah blah blah blah

:D

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Actually it's more like:

tick, tick, tick, tick, tick

buuuuuuuuuuuuzzzz!

Steve shoots up a three...but the game is over.

10. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

LOL....leave steve alone.

He played hard for us...you have to respect that. He didn't always play smart, but damn it he played hard. He basicly tried to do toooooo much. Bless his heart.....lol:D

11. tigermission1

Great Interview! SR610 keeps this up, and they will run 790 outta town!:D

Anyways, I have done an audio clip here, so download it and listen to the interview if you want.

The quality is not good, especially the first 100-120 seconds of the clip, after that, it levels through and becomes good enough to understand, but the volume level is not constant throughout.

Now, if R2K or someone else who can download the audio clip and then filter it/improve its sound quality that would be great! Please do so if you can so it can be easier to listen to it for those who missed it.

Enjoy guys, and hope the effort is acceptable (I will do better next time;) ) :

http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1TN0B901G2UAM0MS3BXQGPUT43

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

meanwhile, 790 ran one if it's daily 20 hours of programming from some guy outside of my city who never talks houston sports and whom i don't care for. great. i can watch ESPN for all that.

13. tigermission1

Yah no kidding! I don't even feel like it is a local station, it is pretty much Mike & Mike, Dan Patrick (both of whom I dislike with a passion), and others at night.:rolleyes:

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Crap. You should have mentioned it was a wav file. We should save the download slots for maybe someone that can convert it to mp3.

Oh and for smaller files like audio. http://youshareit.com and http://rapidshare.de is better because they provide more downloads than yousendit.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I know it's a fashion to knock on Francis now, but didn't he win us a few games with his last second shots? Oh, by using Yao's screen.:D

16. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

stevie was a kid, a self centerd punk,and he may now be getting th humblin like t mac passed through to make him a better man-team player-true super star. he will need to be groomed by the right coach, of course ! HINT HINT.Maybe oRLANDO WANTS ANOTHER TRADE ?..: )...

17. tigermission1

Yah, my bad.

I converted it to MP3 format here, so it is a much smaller file now.

Still, I need someone to filter it and equalize the volume across the whole clip.

Thanks guys

Here is the MP3 link:

http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=06WMWQRFSILAI13NN9FPHYMBAH

18. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Speaking of 790 if you've ever listened to them late at night, that JT the Brick guy is hoooorrible. I mean truly awful. Arrogant and clueless. Deadly combination. I have no idea how that guy keeps a job there.

It's so difficult finding somthing decent to listen to once 610 switches to sporting news radio at 10pm. I find the sporting news radio boring :(. I do have to admit I kind of like the third shift from foxsr on 790 after that moron above, though. It's a pity they only have it on for a couple hours then switch back to espn radio.

#18 Xenon, Apr 28, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  19. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Magic Interview

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and then click on the "Free" button.

Then scroll down again and wait 50 seconds for the link to appear.

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

It's always fun listening to Dan Patrick, the Beer pitchman, talk about journalistic responsibility in reference to covering the steroids scandal. He was making fun of fans who chant "steroids" at players in the BALCO case saying they're losers. hey Dan, we're fans, we're allowed to chant thigns at people, get overyourself, and takle your mouth off of Barry's bals