1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maggette Travels 6 times

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by uchlha, Feb 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Argh! You stole my thought!

But yeah, it was a mini crab dribble dance to appease the god known as Lebron James.

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

great point Sam, the no charge circle is such a logical and great safety change, however please don't tell me you about to lace up the argument that the NBA has better refereeing of travel rule than international ball :rolleyes: :p

3. Omer

Omer Member

WOW...this is unreal. I didn't think it was possible, but he did it.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think that is now patented and renamed "LeCrab Dribble."

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the travel is really that he just keeps casually sliding his left foot around so that's it's not hugely obvious (though still an easy call if you're looking) and sliding feet is one of those things they let players get away with sometimes when they initially get the ball (though they're usually very quick to call the shuffle he did when he started dribbling). he just kept pivoting around the same sliding pivot foot so it ended up being about 6 changes. now what's hilarious is clotheslining evans after traveling 6 times and then complaining about the call.

they may get more of these types of travel calls (same with college refs) but FIBA refs on the whole are just so awful it's hard to believe some times. i appreciate nba refs much more every time i have to watch an international game (same with college, just not the same degree).

every level of refs misses calls (basketball is a very fast sport with far more subjective calls than baseball or football) but consistency is the thing college and especially FIBA refs have no clue on. if nba refs let the players play in the first half, they usually do the same in the 2nd half. if they're calling ticky-tack stuff, they usually do it all game long. at least you have a clue what they might do. the others, i don't know what they're thinking half the time.

plus, college refs call charges like there's no tomorrow. you can slide right up under a guy who has already jumped and has practically already dunked it and they'll get you. and forget having to be set.

and international refs don't call moving picks. it's like a whole world of kevin garnett's out there.

of course, none of these are really coincidences. things that play to the style of basketball prevalent in each of these different levels of basketball tend to be what the refs let slide the most. college hates isolation plays and dribble-driving and you can see it in the way very few handchecks are called and in the overabundance of charge calls on penetrators. international ball loves picks and outside shots, therefore no one ever gets called for a moving pick and if you have to shuffle your feet 3 or 4 times to really get set for that 3 off of the pick, well who should worry about that. the NBA loves it's stars and their playmaking, so you can't handcheck anyone, more blocks are called, and if you happen to add an extra step or a palming violation to make that crossover just a little better, well we'll let it slide.

6. kikimama

kikimama Member

I think we can say refs suck universally. Man, at my IM game, let me tell ya...

7. Asian Sensation

Before watching the video and seeing thread title I thought this was about Maggette traveling 6 times on separate occasions. Not 6 times on one possession. :eek: :eek:

8. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Atrocious! Ronnie Nunn would probably say that the official made the right call....

9. 1individual

1individual Member

DD, you still love Maggette? :rolleyes:

10. 24 in a roll

24 in a roll Member

and that dakota guy wants him here.

11. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

maggete needs to come up with his own name for this one

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

HECK YES....just look at the RESPECT he gets from the officials on that play.

Oh wait, you guys didn't think that deeply, did ya?

:D

DD

13. Jimes

Jimes Member

I think you make a really good point about the preferred style influencing the reffing.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Great Post.

I love the NBA because the best players play in this league. The only reason we were getting beat internationally is because our guys had no chemistry.

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-LFDIkJKDXM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-LFDIkJKDXM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

More ridiculous traveling.

17. Steve_Francis_rules

Is that real? That's pretty unbelievable that a travel that obvious would go uncalled, especially at the college level. Then again, it was Duke.

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I hope the NBA sees how much an advantage these travels are.

Look at Lebron James, a big man like him with so much athletism yet takes less than 3 steps to get from the 3 point line to the rim needs only one extra step to go from a 20% shot to a 60% one.

The travel we saw here, Maggette basically got himself an advantage since he was able to face up on his opponents when originally he could hardly move. That is good 1v1 defense thrown down the drain because the refs allowed magette to take a few small steps to turn his whole body around.

Small travels are acceptable, but ones where you basically turn the tide of the situation is just a little too much.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Unreal, how many times does this happen in a game? Yet the NBA is strict on enforcing that travel where the player puts his foot down first after starting his dribble from a standing stop. I see that called all the time.

20. n_naik1

n_naik1 Member

lol at the "mock disbelief" part