1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Madonna Calls For Troops To Leave Iraq

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by amfootball, Nov 9, 2004.

1. amfootball

amfootball Member

Here's another celebrity who needs to shut her trap. Does Madonna think anyone gives a crap what she thinks????

http://au.news.yahoo.com/041109/19/rnmi.html

Wednesday November 10, 05:38 AM

Madonna calls for US troops to leave Iraq

LONDON (AFP) - US pop star Madonna made a rare foray into politics, calling for her home country to withdraw its troops from Iraq during an interview with British radio.

"I just don't want American troops to be in Iraq, period," she said on BBC Radio.

"My feelings are 'can we just all get out?'," said the 46-year-old star, who lives mainly in London with British film director husband Guy Ritchie, who said she believes the US-led war will not help in the fight against terrorism.

"Global terror is everywhere. Global terror is down the street, around the block," she said.

"Global terror is in California. There's global terror everywhere and it's absurd to think you can get it by going to one country and dropping tons of bombs on innocent people."

Madonna's best known belief is her adherence to the Kabbalah, a faith based on the study of Hebrew texts which has become increasingly popular in recent years, notably among music and film stars.

On other subjects, the singer said the recent US presidential election had illustrated how US society was "becoming very divided".

"People are becoming very polarized," she said. "We have people who don't want to think, and who just want to guard what is theirs, and they're selfish and limited in their thinking and they're very fearful in their choices."

Madonna said that her personal choice for the presidency would have been Wesley Clark, the former four star general who was well beaten to the Democratic nomination by John Kerry.

"I thought very carefully about it. I thought Wesley Clark had the best leadership qualities," she said.

"If he had the same political experience as Kerry he could have bridged that gap."

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

did she use an english accent?

3. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

i don't think theres much to debate here about celebrities and their self appointed mandate to be vocal about their political beliefs. judging from the other thread, we're almost all in agreement about this in some way or another.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I cant imagine why anyone would give two ****s about what Madonna thought about any of this. There isnt enough rolleyes to express how stupid Madonna and her political views are. We need that gif from Miguel where that huge rolleyes is throwing up a bunch of other rolleyes.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Madonna calls for US Troops to leave Iraq.

Music lovers worldwide call for Madonna to take singing lessons.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This should probably go in the Hangout. There are so many possible one-liners on this one that I don't even know where to start.

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

now that's freakin funny. And my honest guess is that she did.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Right. I'm sure if we just pulled every troop out of Iraq right now in about 1 week and left the country to collapse into all out civil war, with one side being most of the country, and the other being the left over sunnis with foreign terrorists providing support...that would be a great big win for the United States. :rolleyes:

I don't think we should have gone into Iraq, but we certainly can't just up and leave. That would make us look weak to enemies that view strength and power with respect, even if they hate you. If you look weak, you become a bigger target.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Did she actually "call" for US troops to leave, or did she give her opinion during an interview? There's a difference between making an official statement and this:
    What's wrong with her giving her opinion? If the local news asked people what they thought for a word on the street segment, would you guys think all those regular people should shut their traps?

Our own government has said that all the reasons we went into Iraq turned out to be wrong, I don't see how what she said is such a radical and uninformed opinion.

Stay or go, we are still screwed. But I wish more people could see it was a mistake to go in the first place.

10. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Apparently you care a great deal. I, and Im sure a lot of others, would never have known about her opinion had you not posted it.

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

She hasn't been the same since she quit banging NBA players.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

All right boys and girls, the war is over, Madonna said so. Pack it up and move it out.

13. myco

myco Contributing Member

I think most could have guessed it.

14. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

It would have been more effective if she put it this way.

If the U.S. troops in Iraq don't leave and go home, then I will star in another movie.

Now that's a threat! :D

15. esse

esse Contributing Member

I call on Madonna to drop the FAKE English accent!:D

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is the first time Madonna has ever asked for anyone to pull out.

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

If I did the signature thing, this would be it. Absolutely brilliant!:D :D

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

AB, are you looking for material? :D

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

High-larious! :D