1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mad Men Season 7

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by thabeet, May 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. thabeet

thabeet Member

Why is there no thread for this?

Looks like Freddy finally got through to Don. I'm expecting those 25 tags for Peggy to be nothing short of amazing.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

3 more episodes left. AMC is annoying. Might as well show 1 episode every 6 weeks over a 2 year span instead of splitting a season over 2 years.

3. thabeet

thabeet Member

I know they mentioned splitting season 7 into 2 seasons but when they said "ONLY 3 MORE EPISODES LEFT IN THIS SEASON" i was like holy hell.

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This splitting seasons trend is really pissing me off.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

You can thank the success of The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad split seasons for that....

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I hate the way they're treating Don. He built that company damn it! :mad:

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"Yes... along with a dead man... who's office he's now inhabiting."

With the split-season, I did expect a slightly faster "pace" or a more meaningful story-line or two.

Right now, the ONLY story-line is Don's suspension and re-instatement. Pete and Roger's tiny sub-plots have been less than inspired. Don't get me started on the "computer". And the Peggy-Lou "conflict" just seems like a nice tie-in to how they're going to deal with Don's issue.

I guess when they can no longer make the show about the advertising world, or about the clients, or about building the agency... its time to make it basically about ONE person and just go with it/sink or swim.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's a soap opera. Soap opera's are never meant to end. That's the inherent problem with them. If they pull off a great ending and give even half the main characters proper closure it'll be surprising to me.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

At least those werent as long.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm not worried about closure or how they're going to end it... just looking for a better story-line than Don's suspension/blow-up and reinstatement.

Hell, last year's affair, getting caught by his daughter, work breakdown was far more compelling and could have been better "closure".

Ah well, they have more than half the season to progress from where he is now.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Really just breaking bad. The walking dead breaks but they come back about a month to month and a half later. Breaking Bad split 12 episodes into 2 seasons and mad men is doing about the same. That's just ridiculous.

12. thabeet

thabeet Member

what exactly did don do when i crashed the phillips morris meeting? i think some of it went over my head.

13. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Apparently not sticking to the script the partners had laid out. :grin: I'd like this meeting to be explained as well.

What's with the Charles Manson references some reviewers have mentioned? :confused:

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He basically made himself to be somewhat "indispensable".

By selling PM on the fact that he's the only one with real cigarette experience at the agency, along with him having inside info on the other company's marketing strategy, PM may decide that they want Don to be included on the team (or hell, even running the account).

Before he stepped in, it was going to be clear that if PM signed on to the agency, it would give enough justification for the agency to get rid of Don due to his previous NYT article bashing the tobacco companies (with PM making the request).

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Any gifs/captures of the Megan/Don/3-way?

Didn't mind that scene at all... in fact, it was almost better because they "couldn't" show as much as they would have had it been an HBO show (but they definitely pushed the envelope more than regular network TV would have allowed).

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Pretty much, he took a major gamble since he was just going to be shown the door if the deal came through.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Was it a gamble? He would have been fired if they landed the account. It would also be a gamble to do nothing...

When Don wrote that letter, I thought it would lead to new business but nothing ever came from it. Seemed cool at the time but gradually felt pointless. Now it's finally payed off.

But the way they used the device bothers me because I feel like so much of what actually happens in Mad Men winds up being pointless.

Don is kicked out of the agency. Oooooh, big deal, yay! Literally 3 episodes later... he's back. Same with the letter. It's used to push something away, now that same thing is coming back into the fold.

Important events seem to get nullified at a high rate on this show.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

True... but the character as a whole seems to be making the slightest bit of "progress".

Whether its no longer philandering (or even caring about Megan that much), to trying to give up drinking at work, to coming more clean about his past... Don seems to be slowly trying to get there.

I get that these "events" seem to be erased or glossed over in just a few episodes, but Don the character still seems to be moving along (albeit very slowly).

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, the character development is unmatched. The stories, to me, are like a C at best. The acting, writing, character development... A+. But this show has an obvious weakness that more well rounded ones don't. But we're literally talking about some of the best character development of all time.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Just showed up to this thread to see pics of Christina Hendricks or Alison Brie. I am disappoint. :(