1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MacBook]Purchasing a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Royals Ego, May 28, 2008.

1. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I've had my MacBook for a little over a year and loved it. I was sick of the PC laptop crashes and viruses that tried to latch on it. So I bought a MacBook for the peace of mind, and so far, absolutely no problems whatsoever. Just in case, I do have Vista on dual boot, so if I need something only a PC can run, I'm able to get on it.

I didn't get AppleCare, but I recommend you do, since my friends say it's awesome. My case was one of the few that had something wrong with it where it kinda cracked. I had 2 weeks left on my year warranty, went to the Galleria Apple store, they took it, had it replaced for free, and I picked it up in a few hours. Although their store seemed so elite and pretentious.

I saw so many MacBooks in college over the past few years pop up in classrooms and in the libraries...good to see, just for the fact that more competition can make both Windows and OS better for the long haul.

2. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Check out macmall.com.

They generally have some good deals and they have the whole "But now, pay later" deal. I bought a Mac for my wife a few months ago like that knowing our tax refund would eventually come in and pay it off.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

my brother had a nightmare purchasing experience at macmall.com.

I would use the closest licensed apple retailer or the Apple store if there is one in your area.

I bought the Macbook Pro when it was first released in 2006. It has been well worth the cost.

it's a great machine.

4. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Hey, I really appreciate the heads up. Will definitely wait and see what they'll do this year. Thanx again.

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Buffer Overflow

Hack Contest 2008

Hack Contest 2007

6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I'm not saying it didn't or couldn't happen, just that none of those things ever happened to me.

Like it or not, the Mac OS is more secure and less prone to all the crap I mentioned originally.

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

You are Revising your earlier statement...........but my point has been made.

Goodbye.

8. Lynus302

Fair enough.

Here you go:
    IN GENERAL AND ON AVERAGE, Mac users don't have to worry NEARLY as much as Windows users about crashes, security issues, viruses, adware, spyware, etc.

How about this:
    IF YOU BUY A MAC, odds are you won't have to worry nearly as much as a Windows user.

Happy?

Christ.

[grumbling]You all are like a bunch of damn women you're so picky sometimes.[/grumbling]
    ^^^
    There's two more generalized statements. Have at it.

:eek:

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Mango, I had hoped you above such things. Tsk. ;)

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Not really. Obviously no OS is invincible, and I'm sure a few years down the road Macs will be targeted more (if their popularity continues)...but in the meantime having a software firewall or antivirus on a Mac is pretty much useless.

See ya.

11. Lynus302

WAITWAITWAIT!!!!

YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN SPECIFIC ENOUGH!!!!

Even though I agree with you 100%