1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mac Book

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by StaticC4, Jun 15, 2008.

1. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Hey guys I'm planning on buying a Mac Book do you guys have any suggestions of which one I should buy?

2. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

I've never understood why people spend $2200+ on a laptop when the same processing power can be had from a dell on sale for $6-700.

What is the real cash value of being 'hip'? Apparently $1500.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

DrewP, your point is well taken, but I just got a top-line MacBookPro for $1700 (educational discount). The cheapest Macbooks I've seen at much less than that, if we want to compare to the cheapest possible Dell... So the price of being hip or whatever may be about $600, which is still expensive.

I've used a lot of both platforms and have ultimately had many more crashes and data-losing events with PC's. That's just my own experience.

I know plenty of happy PC users and they do save some dough -- no doubt about it. Why do some people pay more for good-tasting healthy food, for a hotel room with a view? Meh, same thing...

4. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

I personally like the Mac Book because of the iMovie,Garageband program(I am in a band and right now we don't have a drummer yet so we are using loops and making up some weird beat), etc.

5. DrewP

I'm sure there is window's compatible software that is comparable. Off the top of my head, maybe Ichat and a few other very specific types of software are unchallenged in terms of Windows counterparts.

I'm not turning this into a windows vs. mac war. I am just trying to figure out the mentality of a mac purchaser. B-bob made a nice point.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Where are these laptops??????

2200 can get you the bottom mac book pro which sports
    2.4 ghz
    2gm memory
    200 gig hard drive
    256K graphics card
    15 inch screen

Stop talking and link me to those dells.

7. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

I've tried the programs that are similiar they just don't match the mac versions in school we have a mac lab and I find it somewhat more convient than a pc, I've been using PCs all my life I want to try to see if the mac or pc is easier to use.

8. DrewP

A casual glance at this week's deals at www.slickdeals.net shows that earlier this week dell had a loaded XPS m1530 for a $1000 less than your example. This model has 4 GB of RAM as well.

$1199

Specs:

* Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)
    * Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium Edition SP1
    * 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
    * Full Hi Definition, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1920x1200) & 2.0 MP WebCam
    * 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    * 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
    * Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
    * Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
    * Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
    * McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 24-months
    * Free Upgrade to a 9 cell Battery
    * 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts Labor,24x7 Phone Support
    * Finger Print Reader XPS M1530
    * USB Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)

http://www.slickdeals.net/ look at tuesday

Obviously this is not $700, but very nice laptops can be had at that price point with minimal amount of research. I think you get the point.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Better product.

Worth the money.

Hip has nothing to do with it

10. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Just remember if you get a MacBook, spring for the Apple Care. If something goes wrong it's so worth it for the service.

Also I just found out about VMWare Fusion, a virtualization software so I can use Windows and OSX side by side. It is quite awesome.

Also I didn't get a MacBook because it was "hip". I got it because I was sick and tired of Windows being screwy and at least I knew that my laptop was from Apple and it would be of great quality. Of course I'm sure you can get a quality laptop from other manufacturers so really it comes down to preference.

11. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The link they have doesn't work. The computer you are talking about has a MSRP of 1800 with a 400 small business discount which most of us don't meet.

13. DrewP

How is it a better product when I can get more power for less money? The only thing to ever go wrong with my current dell laptop of 3+ years is the power outlet in the back broke because I treated it like **** and it finally broke after years of abuse.

Dell's Warranties are comparable.... It just makes you wonder what the hell a $1000 extra dollars buys outside of being perceived as hip

14. DrewP

What are you talking about? Dell has deals like this EVERY week. The small business discount had nothing to do with the deal at the time. You are not buying a liver or something here I figure most people can wait 7 days for such a large purchase.

That deal was just one example of dozens of deals that happen monthly.

15. MexAmercnMoose

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Agreed. As I said in a similar thread, my PC works just fine....most of the time. The pain for me what I have to do to maintain it: anti-virus/spyware/adware, firewall, etc.

Apple just makes a better-quality machine all-around, imo. I can vouch for this as a person who has used and owned both platforms.

I can't wait to get a new computer, and it will absolutely be a Macintosh.

17. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

macbooks cost 1099. Which is quite reasonable really. I see no reason to spring for the pro for most computer users and I think the normal macbook is cuter anyways.

18. DrewP

Lynus I keep waiting for an explanation on why it is better quality like everyone keeps saying. I would genuinely like to know.

Is it because there aren't as many viruses designed to attack Apple's OSs?

I run a laptop on XP with NOD32 and no firewall(I do have a router) and (very) rarely have any problems. Is it that people expect computers to work all the time without issue? Does that happen more consistently with Macs?

To me, it seems to depend on the user. I dont download stupid **** off the internet and I only have a few programs on top of a fresh xp installation. Everything runs fine.

And to yaoluv, you can have a computer with the same or better specs for half the 1200 price, so you pick it because its cuter?

This is not a me vs. the apple world thing. I'm just trying to figure out the legitimacy of the apple train of thought.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

All the big PC companies suck.

I've owned a Packard Bell, Compaq, HP, and a Dell... every single one of them were a nightmare. N-i-g-h-t-m-a-r-e. With Dell being the creme de la creme of the crappy cheap product and terrible customer service turd sandwich.

I got an iMac, I won't be going back falling for the "less money more power" trap again. Better product, worth the extra couple hundred dollars. Period.

20. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

I love my MacBook Pro. Mine's a 13 inch that I got a couple years ago.

If you're used to the Mac program you should get it. If you're not, it's not that difficult to learn.

I haven't had any virus or spyware problems with my Pro, unlike my desktop which I have to buy Norton every year.