1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maarty Leunen, the new and better Novak? 49% 3's and 9 rebs a game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wireonfire, Jun 26, 2008.

1. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Isn't this pick going to Memphis?

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Doesn't matter. I don't believe it's our pick anymore.

4. Nero

Nero Member

It's too bad, this guy is going to wind up being as productive as Landray last year..

In the extended breakdowns of PF's last year, Landry was at or near the top in most categories, but people just didn't know who the heck he was..

Leunen is this year's version of that - the guy graded out almost as good as Beasley across the board.

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Are you kidding me?

The guy is an undersized power forward with NO athleticism. How is that "good?"

6. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

He does average more rebounds than Landry did in college.

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

News Break:

NBA>>>>>>>>>>> X 100000000 college

End of discussion. Sorry, but I don't want a wannabe Luke Walton. Hell, he's worse than Luke-he can't pass half ass as good as Luke.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This guy sucks. I mostly watch Pac-10 bball and this guy has no handles, no defense, and no athleticism. His stats are fancy but they don't mean much. Ryan Anderson looks a future all-star based on the 20/10 he put up in the same conference, yet you know that guy's guaranteed to be a bust. Maarty's even worse.

There's a reason why Oregon fell apart when they lost Brooks. He carried them, and I don't even know if he'll be a good NBA player. Leunen can't even step in Brook's shadow.

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

So did Dorsey.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article...valuating-This-Year-s-Power-Foward-Crop-2935/

Leunen was much more of an offensive player at Oregon, and Dorsey was a bruiser. In the "bruising" categories, Dorsey trumps him every time, and I think we need a bruiser more than a guy who wants to float around the perimeter and launch 3's.

10. AXG

AXG Member

Small chance the guy makes an NBA roster this season.

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Turns out this guy is actually ours. :D

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

According to Chron, it is....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5859356.html

Ben Wallace-type

On the high end of the comparison scale, Dorsey has been likened to veteran Ben Wallace, not much of an offensive threat. But he is an explosive leaper and can be a deterrent to penetrators around the basket.

With their own No. 54 pick in the second round, the Rockets selected Maarty Leunen, a 6-9 forward from Oregon. They plan to have him play overseas next season.

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Im so confused i need to sleep and wait till this all sorts out.

14. carib

carib Member

Yep, this Maarty dude sounds like a Novak with a little better rebounding. To make room its the NBDL or Europe.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If he goes to the NBDL then he's not ours anymore!

Off to Europe Maaaaarty!

Looks like he can really shoot the rock as a 6'9PF (Novak?)

His college numbers are more impressive than Novak's were in the rebounding and assists department, but he'll be looking to fill that same role on the roster.

If Novak ever leaves us, we could always bring in Maarty - but I'd be shocked to ever see this guy on an NBA roster for a full season!

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

One article wrote he measured out at 6-7 and that's why he dropped out of sight in the mock drafts.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Leunen's spot in the draft is closer to where Novak should have been picked years ago.

Leunen has shown 1 good and 1 great year of outside shooting. Novak was an oustanding shooter EVERY year, thats the main difference (And twice as less rebounds)

All in all Leunen's in Malik Badiane/Luis Flores/Brad Newley territory. Hard to expect anything from him *especially if he's just going to Portland or Memphis anyways

#17 Shroopy2, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The funniest part about all this was ESPN's analysis after we picked him.

"Needs to improve: Athleticism"

Umm, sure. How exactly does one go about improving athleticism? Juice up? Drink Vitamin Water? Wear the new LeBron's?

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I thought the same as you did too. I'm glad we got a 2nd rounder from Memphis.
    No harm in keeping Leunen overseas.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's possible one reason Leunen was selected because he agreed to head overseas. Also his skillset is similiar to Sergei Lishouk so he is a probably a type of player the Rockets have an eye on.