1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luther's Shooting Form

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apostolic3, Mar 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Even when he was hitting 50% from 3 pt early in the season, Luther's form made me cringe. I never could figure out exactly how he shot the ball; hadn't seen anything quite like it in the NBA.

Thanks to today's Houston Chronicle, we have a perfect picture of him in mid-shot. Can anyone think of a good outside shooter with a form similar to Luther's?

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I may be completely wrong, but for some reason I remember Dale Ellis' shot being similar...

Can't think of anyone currently in the league.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Michael Redd kind of cocks back his shot also, bringing it to the side. But Redd only brings it back to the top of the side of his head, whereas Luther shoots it from practically his shoulder.

4. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

Allen Leavell?

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Mario Elie? :cool:

6. alaskansnowman

I always thought Luther had a pretty good lookin form. I haven't observed the fine intricacies of it, but when he shoots, it definately doesn't look ugly.

7. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

everybody's shot is different. i dont care if somebody shoots ugly or not, as long as it goes in. ask shawn marion.

luther is our best shooter sadly. and he's only a rookie. it's gonna be something special in the nba. however, i know his career in houston wont be long. knowing our staff, we'll trade him off somwhere and pick up sum old moron.

8. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

...also ask dirk nowitzki about ugly shooting form.

ray allen has a similar shot, he brings it up a little high and sorta flings his wrist/hand.

9. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

you don't have to have good form to be a good shooter. just ask larry bird, michael redd, kenny smith, and a lot of other really good shooters.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

I love Head's shooting form for sure, I just don't like the way he falls down after the clutch shots. Too dramatic. :D Why doesn't he fall down after the other 3's he attempts, why only the clutch ones? :)

11. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

i like Dirk's Shot. It has such a high release its not even funny.

Ray Allen has awesome form. That little wrist toss is straight money.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It is ugly form and release, but I've learned long ago that it doesn't matter what the shot looks like as long as it keeps going in.

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

yeah go watch a suns game and look at marions release (throws up)

14. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Coming from the side is what seems odd to me. I see kids shoot that way because they need the added leverage to hoist the ball up to the basket.

16. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I thought that Reggie Miller had an ungly form, but then again what can you say about that if he makes so many threes.

Unless Luther is taking threes and missing them at the rate that A. Walker, the Rox have nothing to worry about. :)

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I could be wrong about this, but I've always thought that there really is no "good form" in a jumpshot. I think you can learn to shoot in whatever jacked up motion there is out there and you can eventually become a good shooter. Your body, muscles, etc. adapt to the shooting motion. Now if you have a low or awkward release, you can get it slapped back in your face, of course...

18. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

When I first saw Luther's jump shot, I thought there was no way he could shoot well from 3-point range. His shot looks like it relies on his legs too much, and his release looks inconsistent to me. However, he was shooting the trey at a 50% clip early so it worked for him.

Lately, Head has looked really good finishing drives, which he wasn't doing earlier in the year. It looks like he's figured out how to play in Van Gundy's offense, now he just has to concentrate on his defense. He gets blown by way too much for someone with his quickness.

19. pchan

pchan Member

I always feel John Stockton shot looks different too.

20. rsl5181

rsl5181 Contributing Member

luther is what i like to think of as a modern man...he accouts for both the men and the ladies. he skies for the jump shot, and then he shoots from his chest. quite a renaissance man...he even meets halfway in between for the shooting percentage.