1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lunging forward and flailing of the arms by James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RESINator, May 11, 2015.

1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Clips are notorious for this. Yet they're just good.

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

That's true

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

No you're wrong. There have been plenty of plays where Griffin falls to the ground and the refs give him a call. Mostly in games 1&3. Harden is not getting calls this series like he did vs Dallas

4. SemisolidSnake

Took a while to find this, but here's James' playoff shot chart. Compared to his regular season charts, he is taking waaaay more stepbacks (and missing most of them). Of course, that's obvious just by watching the games. Maybe he's not getting as many calls when he drives, but he also just looks timid out there, in a way that you didn't see in the regular season.

It's probably a multitude of things. There are some big guys playing playoff basketball between him and the basket. He's not getting as many calls, and his outlet shooters in the corners aren't knocking down the shots. Still not an excuse, though; he can punch through defenses better than anyone.

I wish we'd have him play off the ball more by utilizing a real point guard to set up him up. An effective PG could have James driving from one side, Dwight open on the other, and the option for James to lob to Dwight if he gets the ball. Teams would be lost how to defend something like that. ISO ball is much easier to defend, regardless of how brilliant a ball-handler your ISO guy is.

I know the concern this whole year has been with our big guys, but the Rockets have plenty of legends to teach them, and if they haven't picked it up by now, get rid of them. We need a veteran point guard to come in and coach our guards how to do their jobs, because the guards are the ones making the ball sticky and forcing bad passes.

1 person likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Did you watch the Suprs-Clips series or even the regular season? The Clips are the public enemy number one of the refs. The reason Harden doesn't get the calls this time is because the Clippers in contrast to the Mavs have actually a good defence and have gameplanned for him. The Mavs's defence was a joke.
    Noone said that the Clips don't flop. Especially Griffin. That's why I dislike them so much.
    And he too doesn't get as many calls as he did in the regular season either. The refs simply allow much more defence and less flopping than in regular season and it goes BOTH ways.

6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you think he's making a fool of himself there? Sure looks like a foul to me. Pause the video when the contact is made, whether or not Harden hooks Barnes or not he's clearly got his had in the cookie jar.

Anytime a defender puts his hands behind his back you know he's guilty of something.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Defender didn't "put his hand in the cookie jar", Barnes had his hands on is sides and harden hooked his arm into Barnes. trickery BS by Harden. That's not a basketball play.

8. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Come on now, this is how playoff basketball is reff'ed. D-Rose and LeBron were getting hammered all the time without calls. Before the game winner, Noah hit LeBron on the way up then basically used his body on the way own to prevent James from elevating and they still made no call.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I get what you say. I agree that Harden is not just flopping around. I am not talking about flopping.

What I am saying is that he puts getting calls on a higher priority than finishing the play. More often than not he intentionally seeks for contact rather than just straight up drives to score. That irks me to no ends.

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

His arm flailing is like the layup version of the rip move. Thing is, he's definitely getting hacked at the rim too. So there's a bit of truth to both sides. They aren't calling it when he initiates contact - but they aren't calling it when the Clippers initiate contact either. It's the biggest criticism of Harden's game, and it's well founded in the playoffs. That doesn't mean that it's fair to him.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I wouldn't be mad for one second about this, if Blake didn't flop on the tiniest bit of contact and get the foul. I wouldn't mind if this playoffs was rough on both sides, what annoys me is you HAVE to flop to even get a call. Then, because we aren't mentally strong, when the calls don't come we stop playing. This is the real problem.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

For the record . . . . barns did block his arm on the going up then put his arms behind his back like he didn't touch him.

Considering they have given Glen Davis every flop . . .

Rocket River

13. malakas

malakas Member

Bullsh!t. The reason he puts his hands down is because the Clippers have gameplanned for Harden and their coach has specifically asked them to not put their arms up when guarding him. They all do it in these series.
    It is smart and you can expect any next match in the playoffs any future coach to copy this gameplan. Coaches always copy off each other esp when something works so well.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Yeah, Barnes is smart at anything. He's an instigator fouling Harden and then pretending he didn't foul him at all. The sad thing is, your like the refs were dumb enough to buy the act.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

ONE GAME?

yet in 3 other games they have gotten every flop
    and they are able to hack at will
    and even drive the lane with forearms in the chest of fully extended hands in the chest

Rocket River

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's actually not true. Griffinflopter hasn't been getting everything, and the refs are allowing a hard contest. He's just going in there so much more often than Harden. He's also making contested shots.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

This is true. The difference between Doc and McHale is that Doc has gotten them to buy in so much to his system that they know eventually the calls will come. Harden does stop looking for the calls, hence the missed step back jumpers.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden has a very good offensive game. He just needs to worry about making the shot more instead of depending on the call.

On the flipside, everything would be better if he played more defense.

19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If he had his hands down the whole time I would agree with you. But did you watch the play? His arm is clearly locked with Harden's arm, which should be foul. I am okay with them calling an offensive foul too if you feel Harden hooked but Barnes definitely reached in.

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

What is not a basketball play is Blake Griffin flailing his arms every time anyone touches him. Then he even hits Terrence Jones and causes the ref to call a T on Jones. This was probably the worst call of the game.. We could not buy a break but it does not make a 30 pt difference. LA is just better than we are without Beverly and DMO.

We can nit pick about a lot of non basketball plays but every superstar player does it. The difference is the media and the league have made a point to isolate Harden, so he does not get calls.. NBA is a joke. No one should get worked up about it anymore. Whoever they want to win will win.

All the flopping fines and penalties only go to the minimal role players. NBA never wants to damage the reputation of its Super Stars. How Harden, Dirk, Blake, CP3, Lebron have not got fined for flopping in the post season is beyond me. But Terry, Brewer, and Big Baby Davis have. lol

I am willing to bet Golden State is going to get every call tonight against Memphis. NBA doesn't want Memphis to win.