1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lunch with Jeff Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 23, 2012.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Great read, thank you very much! JVG sounds like a great guy. I sometimes got frustrated with him as a coach because our offense wasn't that great, but he is great as a co-commentator, and I love his sense of humor. And his team's defense was fantastic.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

what's a co-commentator?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! I am so jealous, Clutch. That had to be an amazing time. I (we!) sure hope you get to do that again, someday. Seeing as how you're clearly sitting on some juicy tidbits, at least you're earning his trust. :)-

Folks can say what they will about Van Gundy's tenure with the Rockets (I certainly did at the time, like whether he could spell offense, much less coach one!), but the man knows defense, as much as any coach in the league, IMO, and he just knows basketball. He is also easily the best color man in broadcasting today. No contest. I'll add something else... after going through this season, I'd love to have him back, something I never thought I'd say in a million years. Jeff would be a vast improvement, in my opinion, over Mr. McHale.

I'll also add that my already high opinion of bobrek just went up several notches!

1 person likes this.
  4. Dei

Dei Member

Clutch, have you ever talked with Jeff about the Heat-Knicks fight? That stuff is still funny to me.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gGD_ym_hb1M#t=2m30s" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i've always liked gundy.
    never would have let him go.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm thinking it's just negative stuff about players..who was a jerk, who b****ed a lot, who slacked off, etc...I dont think JVG is worried about upsetting Les (I think that's what you're thinking).

Clutch, can you at least tell us the player who's story surprised you the most? Of those that you didn't mention, of course...

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

When it comes to Clutchfans, JVG is a like Rocky Horror Picture Show. Most everyone hated him when he was here, but after he left, he gained cult status and this just cements it.

Thanks Clutch.

8. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

Any comments on Yao from Jeff?

clutch, I am curious whether Jeff still has some connection with Yao ?

9. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Of course. Jeff Van Gundy and Yao has been friends for a long time and still friends now.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually, if he remained to be our coach, we wouldn't have had this kind of cool stuff out of him. For that reason alone, I am glad he's not our coach, or anyone's coach, anymore.

11. blackistan

blackistan Member

haha that was awesome

12. Classic

Classic Member

Love JVG, wish he was our color analyst after bill retires

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bill calls the game. Clyde, and Bull when out of town, are the color men. Obviously, no pun intended. ;-)-

In other words, Jeff could be the other part of the team with Bill, which would place me somewhere near Nirvana as a fan.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why would JVG take a demotion to Houston local TV when he has big league national job?

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Jeff does this in our GARM fantasy world, where all is possible, with time and space merely words on a page.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, ya think Deron Williams will sign for the minimum son we can pursue Dwight?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Of course I do! Why? Because it would be so groovy. That's why. And don't throw that reality crap at me, dude, cause I ain't dealin' reality tonight, ya dig?

18. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I wish this said "lunch with Les":rolleyes:

19. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

kool story , know lets fix this mess :rolleyes:

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There have been instances before of an owner hiring back a coach he had fired a few years before. At least in baseball. At this point, after enduring the 4th quarter of the last several games, I'd jump up and down with joy if Van Gundy returned. I'd rather have Adelman back, but that ship has definitely sailed.