1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luke Scott's future

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Jul 31, 2007.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Funny how basically the same batting stats get Berkman labeled as "struggling" and Luke Scott labeled as "the future, needs to play every day." I mean, Scott's playing well, but he's also gotten more ABs than Mike Lamb, who's been better for most of the season.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

According to this site, Mike Lamb is a slightly more valuable hitter than Luke Scott, but both are better hitters Wigginton. So it should be Lance at first, Lamb at 3rd, Lee in LF, and Scott in RF. Wiggy should be on the bench.

3. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Let's hope he keeps it up. He is still going to end up with probably the worst season of his career.

4. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

EXACTLY. Twiggy is a joke. I don't know why we just couldn't let Lamb have 3B. We had to trade Wheeler for a guy who is worse than Lamb in every way, shape, and form just because he has a couple more years on his contract. Ridiculous.

5. MaxwellsTemper

Lamb would be the starting 3B if his defense wasn't so bad. He can't be an everyday player at 3B.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Seems like the Astros are loaded with guys not really good enough to play every day, or shouldn't be playing every day.

Lamb
    Palmero
    Bruntlett
    Burke
    Scott
    Everett
    Ausmus
    Lane

And so on..and so on...and so on...

Of course, you could make a case for AE, Ausmus, Scott and Burke...but all of those guys seem to have some serious deficiencies.....

At least Scott and Burke should get a lot longer look.

DD

7. xcrunner51

Most of those players are fine backups. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Lane, Palmeiro and Brunlett as 4/5 outfielders and backup infielders. Granted, Lane does suck at hitting and shouldn't be playing everyday, but if Hunter were healthy, Lane might not even be on the club. Even still, Lane is a good defensive RF, a decent defensive CF and has a little pop in his bat; those qualities make him a more than reasonable 4/5 outfielder. Most teams don't have the next Vernon Wells sitting on the bench. Palmeiro similarly is good at what they ask him to do.

Lamb could start for a team like the Twins at DH/1B.

I think who we should be focused on is Ausmus, AE, Scott and Burke. Ausmus would likely not be starting for any another team. AE could definitely start every dayfor a team like the Yankees/Red Sox that don't need offensive production from any one spot. We just happen to have a whole bunch of guys underachieving at the same time that highlights his offensive woes. Back when we had Beltran and Kent no one cared what Everett did. (Note* Everett did have much better hitting seasons back then when the lineup was stacked)

Scott's HR/Runs/RBI numbers are about the same pace as last years, although his avg/OBP/OPS have taken a huge hit. You could argue if he played every day he might find more consistency in his swing and his avg might go up. But that's the chicken and the egg argument. Do you wait for him to hit more consistently to play him every day or do you play him everyday to see if he'll become more consistent.

Burke, well I'm really interested to see what Burke could do over a full season and I hope we don't resign Loretta so we can find out.

8. MaxwellsTemper

I agree with a lot of what you guys say. We have a lot of pretty solid guys, but not players you'd like to rely on as everyday players.

9. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

His defense does need work, but he's definitely has better range and a better arm than Twiggy. When Lamb played regularly at 3B this season, he did a pretty nice job.

10. MaxwellsTemper

I disagree that his range is better than Wiggington. As far as arm strength, I don't know if I see a particular difference there. Regardless, I don't think you can say he "definitely" has a better range or arm than Wigginton, because they are similar with the bat - otherwise 3B would be Lamb's.

11. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Ok, let's say that their range is identical, even though Twiggy seems to take a little longer to get to balls than Lamb. Lamb has a better arm than Twiggy any day. Most of Lamb's errors have been because of throwing too hard, while Twiggy can barely throw to 1B in time to get the baserunner out. He proved that numerous times last night.

Tim Poopoo said that they got Twiggy because he has still years left on his contract. Lamb is going to be a FA after this season. I believe that is the ONLY reason Lamb is being given the boot.

12. xcrunner51

I disagree, Lamb flat out has bad aim at times. I remember a play where he airmailed a throw from first to home. I think in the long term the deficiencies in their defenses would equal out. We haven't seen that much of Twiggy yet.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Sorry, I'm a little late to this thread, and I admittedly haven't bothered to read the first five pages but ...

Can someone explain to me again why the heck Jason Lane is still starting games everyday and Luke is on the bench? What gives? And then I hear the announcers uttering stupidities like Lance Berkman in the outfield is the reason why Luke isn't playing?

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Lane can play CF and Scott can't. I'm as much of a supporter of Luke as anyone, but he'd be a disaster in center.

Essentially, the debate is between Lamb/Loretta at first (RHP or LHP) and Berkman in RF, or Berkman at 1B and Scott in RF. It's Luke Scott vs. Mike Lamb... I prefer Scott, and he's gotten to start in each of the last four games, so maybe Garner is leaning the same way.

15. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I still don't see why we aren't using Pence's injury to see who else can play.
    I'd like to see what Roberston can do, maybe even Tim Raines Jr. He's hitting like .350 in AAA, why not give him a shot. Lane blows.

16. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Airmailing a throw means he threw too hard. I would rather have someone throwing too hard than not throwing hard enough. That doesn't necessarily mean he has bad aim.

17. msn

msn Member

Honestly, how bad is Luke in CF? Is his range that terrible? He's come up as an outfielder, so I can't see how he'd take bad routes to the ball, and I've heard good things about his arm.

Is he bad enough to have a .170 hitting AAAA player in the lineup every night? I mean, for all the b****ing about Adam Everett and Brad Ausmus, this joker is the poster child for "wtf???" starting jobs based on defense. Is everyone else that damn bad at CF???

18. xcrunner51

airmail: To throw the ball over another player's head. "A catcher who throws one into center field on an attempted steal air mails the second baseman."

How is missing a target not bad aim? A ball's path depends on both speed and direction. If either is off, you missed and you have bad aim. Haven't you ever played pocket tanks?

19. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Throwing too hard doesn't necessarily mean you have bad aim. Case in point: I work at MMP, and there is this game where kids can pitch to a "catcher", and there is a black circle as the target. A little girl aims at the circle and throws, but she is too weak, so the ball falls 3 feet in front of the target. She throws in the right direction, but the ball hits the ground due to lack of arm strength. She is not trying to throw towards the ground, but it happens.

My definition of "aim" refers to direction only. I consider speed (strength) to be a different aspect, but that is where we disagree. If I went by your definition, then you would be correct. :)

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

We've all asked that question... essentially, Garner puts a premium on CF defense, and he feels Lane is by far the superior option. The alternatives are Bruntlett and Burke... Scott's not even on the radar screen as far as Phil is concerned. Personally, I think it's absurd not to have Burke in CF right now, but it's pretty clear Lane is there to stay.

I don't think Luke's range is terrible... but he's only average in terms of range in right. And he does take some strange routes to balls at times, and that would be more magnified in center.