1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luke Scott's future

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Jul 31, 2007.

1. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I disagree. Luke has shown signs of stepping up and taking the job recently, but then Garner goes right back to platooning him. So its a chicken or egg type thing. Is he inconsistent so Garner platoons him or is he inconsistent because he's being platooned. If you remember he was being platooned with Jason Lane right from the start and when Lane went down Garner found another platoon with Berkman, Loretta, Lamb, etc.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't think that's true. Luke's extremely hot right not, going 6-for-8 with two doubles and a homer over the weekend, and he sat last night. Why? Because Garner doesn't seem to think he can consistently hit lefties. The biggest reason Scott isn't in game in and game out is Garner's decision not to play him against lefties, not because of performance.

3. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

This is true, but it still makes no sense. Lane can't hit anyone. Luke is way better against lefties than Jason is. Out of all the suspect moves and lack thereof this year, the one that bugs me the most is Jason Lane still seeing playing time. Nothing personal against him at all either. He's been given innumerable chances and consistently sucked. Why does he still get AB's?

4. MaxwellsTemper

I gotta agree that Lane probably should never get any PT. This is probably the last season we'll see him in an Astros uni though, even Purp can only hang on to him so long.

But I still don't think Scott is the answer in RF. Better than Lane for sure, but that doesn't say much.

5. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please...PLEASE...somebody tell me why...against a right handed pitcher...is Luke Scott not playing? And why is Jason Lane playing? JASON LANE?! Jeebus.

6. Major

Major Member

Scott doesn't play CF - his time isn't correlated much to Lane's. Generally, it's going to be between Scott & Lamb (with Berkman moving to RF) and then between Lane and Burke.

7. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

you mean lamb or wigginton

8. Major

Major Member

No - for example, today, Lamb played first, pushing Berkman to RF and Scott to the bench. The choice was made to fit Lamb into the lineup at the expense of Scott.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I rather play who could help in Scott than a player who likely won't be back in Lamb. Also, please bring up Cody Ransom and demote one from Lane, Palmerio, and Brian "I pitch once every two weeks" Moehler. Ransom is hitting .275, 21 HR, 76 RBI, 18 SB, and has an .855 OPS. He plays all over the infield and only has 6 errors this year.

10. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

palmeiro, lane, moehler should all be released right now. actually 2 months ago.
    gotta give the other "jason lane's" a shot at the big league. josh anderson, JR towles, ransom, any pitcher.

11. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

but lamb could have played 3rd, berkman first, scott rf, no?

12. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Then why were the Astros trying to acquire Michael Bourn from the Phills to play center and move Pence over to right? Because Scott sux and is just step above Jason Lane which is not saying much.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So a .833 OPS is "just step above" an OPS of around .550? Please explain.

Also, rumors are rumors. They aren't confirmed, and even if so, any trade for a CF has more to do with bolstering the leadoff spot than being upset with right field production. Can you please give some actual evidence as to how "Scott sux" as opposed to baseless generalities?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Cat,

You and I are on the same page, but it seems the organization has lost faith in Scott, otherwise he would be in the lineup already.

I hope they give him a more serious look.

DD

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

The guy has been killing it since the ASBreak. Instead, they keep playing Jason Freaking Lane, who, despite two singles last night, has no business playing MLB

So frustrating

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Lane is playing CF not RF. Berkman started in RF last night (and Lamb at first). Your argument needs to be Scott versus Lamb.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Move Burke to CF........

Play Berkman at 1B

Play Scott in RF

Play Lamb at 3B

Lorretta at 2B

Bruntlett at SS

Lee at LF

Munson at C

That would be my every day lineup with Mr. Wiggam and Biggio sprinkled in.

DD

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

crap...good point. Tough call. I like both guys and neither gets enough PT. Scott isn't a great fielder, but it isn't as if Lane is a great CF either, so maybe Scott at CF? Though that could be a disaster.

I just hate that Scott isn't getting a lot of PT and Lane is.

19. MaxwellsTemper

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, just throwing my opinion out there. Luke Scott is also batting .247. BA may be old school, and OPS is very chic right now... but a .247 BA still sucks. A guy that is hitting .247, with an OPS of .830, doesn't deserve full PT. If he was a HR machine hitting .247, then maybe, but he isn't. Plus he is so damn streaky-people want to discount it, but its there, and its a reason he isn't starting. If he was truly the BEST option we had in RF, do you seriously think Garner wouldn't have him out there everynight??

I mean, don't get me wrong, Garner isn't my favorite manager, but some people like to think he is a complete idiot. He knows more baseball than *almost* anyone posting in here. He can see Luke Scott isn't set at RF. Throw in the fact Luke isn't exactly a hoover out in RF, he can fumble around out there, playing fly balls like hand grenades. The way our team has played this year, if he played decent consistently, the job would be his. He hasn't. He is a decent player, and probably the best pure RF we have (if you take Berkman out of the equation), but this team is just gonna be using different lineups from here on out. Any team this far out would do that.

20. MaxwellsTemper

Have you ever seen Burke play CF?? Or even OF? He is a disaster. He is the guy that should have been DFA'd.