1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luke Scott time?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaDakota, Aug 23, 2005.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on, put Scott back in there and Burke on the Bench...Scott has tons more pop and is a better outfielder.....

Scott PCL player of the week

August 22, 2005 - LUKE SCOTT NAMED PCL PLAYER OF THE WEEK

ROUND ROCK, TX – Round Rock Express outfielder Luke Scott has been named the Pacific Coast League’s Player of the Week for the week of August 15-21, the League announced today. Scott batted .466 (14-for-30) with five home runs, 12 RBI and a 1.033 slugging percentage. For the week, Scott led the PCL in home runs, slugging percentage and extra-base hits.

For the season, Scott is batting .288 with a team-leading 28 home runs and 80 RBI. His 28 home runs put him in a tied for forth in the league and he is fifth in the league with a .599 slugging percentage.

He was first selected by the Cleveland Indians in the ninth round of the June 2001 draft and came to the Houston organization with Willy Tavares in a trade for LHP Jeriome Robertson on March 31, 2004. Scott played 16 games with the Astros in April and recorded a triple as his first Major League hit on April 8th versus the Cincinnati Reds.

Luke Scott Game-by-Game Breakdown:
    August 15 – 0-4 w/ 1 BB (versus Oklahoma)
    August 16 – 1-4 w/ 1 HR and 1 RBI (@ Nashville)
    August 17 – 3-5 w/ 2 HR and 5 RBI (@ Nashville)
    August 18 – 1-4 w/ 1 BB (@ Nashville)
    August 19 – 3-4 w/ 1 RBI (@ Nashville)
    August 20 – 2-4 w/ 1 HR and 2 RBI (versus Albuquerque)
    August 21 – 4-5 w/ 1 HR and 3 RBI (versus Albuquerque)

Total: .466 (14-30) w/ 5 HR and 12 RBI

The Express will try to extend their current five game winning streak tonight as they take on the Albuquerque Isotopes in the third game of the nine game home stand. All remaining home game times are 7:05 PM.

LUKE SCOTT TIME !!!!!

DD

2. DaDakota

Or bring up Keishnek and Scott.....send down Burns and Wandy.

3. Major

Major Member

Posted by you, earlier today:

<I>I have always like Burke, all he needs is confidence and maybe we have another Ensberg on our hands.....maybe not for power, but a markedly improved player.

GO BURKE !
    </I>

Burke's been pretty damn good the last two weeks hitting for power. I'd like to see Luke Scott up here at some point too, but now is definitely not the time for it. Wait until Burke inevitably cools down a bit.

4. DaDakota

I still like him....but I think we need another stronger bat right now.....I don't want to send Burke down.....just want him to play a bit less.....

We already have one punch and Judy outfielder in Taveras, we need a bit more punch, and Scott would provide it. IMHO.

I would even consider sitting Everett down and playing Burke some at SS...

DD

5. kevwun

kevwun Member

Chris Burke is a good left fielder. You can say whatever you like about his hitting, but this notion that he can't play left field is ridiculous. Do some of you ever actually watch an Astros game?

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Left Fielders don't bat any more? I would like to see both Scott and Burke get MLB experience in a playoff hunt because I think both can help. Burke should be playing more games at second to keep Biggio fresh. Scott would bring another power hitter to the team.

7. DaDakota

Who said he was a bad left fielder? Honestly, do people read posts anymore?

Luke Scott is at least as good an OF as Burke....Burke is a 2b or SS by nature........and hits like one.

DD

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Don't the late season callups begin in September? I'm 99% certain Luke Scott will be one of them.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think he's thinking of other threads where people were criticizing Burke's defensive play.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure why Scott hasn't been called up. I'd like to see what he could do and would like to have the option to have him on our playoff roster. Who knows, maybe they'll bring him up on the 31st.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i have to say again...

haircut.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Talk about going out on a limb.

The real question is whether Koby Clemens will be called up.

12. DaDakota

That would be great.....

DD

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How is KC doing?
    What 'promises' were made to get him signed?

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

where's Nick on this thread? hasn't he been calling for it? ;)

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've been a defender of Burke all season. I'm done with that. I've finally come to the realization that he brings nothing to the table that Luke Scott does and has absolutely no power. It's time to give Scott another shot to help give the big club some pop. Burke is not yet major league ready offensively. I think he has been a decent outfielder defensively and we all know he is a good defensive 2B. It's time for the Astros brass to consider what Burke is doing for the team (especially sloted in the #6 spot in the order) and to bring Scott up.

I would have also asked that Mike Coolbaugh get a shot (101 rbi), but he recently fractured his wrist and will be out for a few weeks.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yea... I called for it like a month ago after his 3 HR game. I was flamed pretty hard, basically because everybody was pointing to his early season stats and the fact that since the team was in a pretty good groove, there really was no need to mess with the chemistry (and, frankly, I agreed... he wouldn't be guaranteed many starts).

Not only had he improved a ton to get to that 3 HR game (his average was in the low 200's when he first got sent down to AAA), but he's continued to improve since then.

Now... its looking a little bit like he could give us a lift, and at the very least... stake a claim for regular playing time next year (but at the most, help us get that playoff spot).

He's still only 27, has good power, is a good enough fielder, and his average looks to be coming around. I think many people forgot that he never played above AA ball before making it to the majors this year. Some people are just late bloomers. Also, with his slow start at AAA, as well as the majors, he may just be the type of guy who has to start off slow to make adjustments and turn it on... kinda like Bagwell has been for a lot of his career.

In the end, he could just be a AAAA player... but I'd still like him to have the extended MLB time to definitely rule that in or out before I come to that conclusion.

Also, it won't be a Burke vs. Scott thing... they won't give up on Chris that quickly (he's still inconsistent... but improving to the point that when he actually does something productive, its extra-base hits and multiple rbi's rather than just the occasional single).

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Luke jacked his 30th tonight.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

They better bring him up. They know more about him then we do, and I believe they haven't brought him up yet for a reason....but dangit! Get it done!

19. DaDakota

No doubt 30 homers and .285 looks better than Burkes stats...BY FAR !

DD

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

To be fair...Burke's stats are against MAJOR league pitchers! :)

And Burke's haircut is fine.