1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Luis Valbuena - Life starts at 30

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Plowman, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

Last 40 games

129 AB, 21 R, 42 H, 8 2B, 10 HR, 26 RBI, 23 BB, 39 K, 3 GIDP, .326/.426/.620/ 1.046

No stolen bases though. Slacker.

Defensive metrics with the Astros continue to puzzle me. I have no idea how they take into account him playing quasi-SS a lot of the time due to the shift. I will say that any metric stating that Valbuena's defense is costing the team runs (and they do say that) is pretty much useless when evaluating him, and it makes me question their usefulness in general for infielders.

2. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

doubt he keeps it up but its a sight to see right now him going off. i would be mad if we sign him to a multi year extension. wouldnt mind bringing him back next year for the QO, but other than that, no multi year extension!

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Rader was good, but gold gloves aren't that good of a masure considering Jeter won 5 of them.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is the move I make now. I think if Reed gets consistent ab's, he's going to hit well. Bregman is ready and you have to keep Val in the lineup. Worth gets demoted and Marwin is still able to get regular playing time as utility guy in the IF and OF.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

An Adam Everett (amazingly...especially considering he had one of the best defensive seasons by a SS ever) never won one.

#25 leroy, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

Valbuena is a decent defensive 3B. He has a DWAR of -0.2. He's shown a very good ability to field a lot of hot shots, but he still has many errant throws. I also recall several recent plays where he might've hand a play and just didn't dive.

I'm not trying to take away from Val. And, DWAR may be somewhat skewed given the amount we shift. But he is nowhere near the realm of those whom I consider elite 3B defenders (Rolen, Eric Chavez, Beltre, even a young Mike Lowell come to mind).

This year, Arenando, Machado, Beltre, and Matt Duffy are all having exceptional years from the hot corner. I haven't seen much of Duffy, but the first three are beauties to watch. Absolutely amazing glove work. All top 4 in DWAR, from 1.2 - 1.6

7. the shark

the shark Member

I certainly understand that, however Radar was a beast at third. I think it was '73 when Radar, Cedeno, and Metzger all won GG. Morgan won one as well that yr with the Reds.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

One of my favorite articles:

http://www.fieldingbible.com/jeter.asp

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Agree on Val vs the elite. Will just point out that Machado has played a lot (over half his season) at SS this year, so the numbers might be off there.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros IF gained about 2 WAR extra through shifts last season than most teams that isn't being allocated to individuals. I'd guess Valvuena should get about half of that.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I know we've been spoiled with Rasmus and Gomez in their contracts years lately, but let's not forget...this is also Valbuena's contract year. Unlike Rasmus and Gomez, he seems to be serious about it, and let's hope that he keeps taking whatever he's taking that's making him do this.

But would I give him a big payday this offseason? For a career .232/.317/.395 hitter having a career year at age 30...no.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I could see Valbuena getting something close to $7M/yr over 2 years. He's probably more valuable than guys like Steve Pearce and David Freese, but I'm starting to be convinced there's no way he's QO worthy.

13. Buck Turgidson

Do you think Valbuena has been a "negative" fielder this year?

14. texian

texian Member

Valbueana getting better with news of Bregman doing same.

15. conquistador#11

try 24 million over 2 years, if he continues this.
    7 million is almost what he was paid before last season.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No. He's likely 2nd tier, but still better than average.

17. Buck Turgidson

Right, but how do you differentiate team defense from individual, given how they use non-standard positions some/most of the time? I honestly don't know.

I guess we could email the Cards and see what they think.