1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola Wants To Play In NBA And Wants To Be Traded

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Dynasty, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Rockets Dynasty

According to Hoopshype Luis Scola wants to play in the NBA next year, but the Spurs won't sign him and are holding onto his rights even though his agents and him want a trade to a team that will sign him............

If the Rockets get James with the TE they could trade a future pick for the rights to Scola, maybe throw in some cash to get the deal done and then would have the MLE to sign Scola.

He would probably only cost about half the MLE, meaning someone else like Spanoulis or a Jumaine Jones type (enormous upgrade over Bowen) could still also be signed.

Scola is said to currently be about 6-9 1/2 without shoes on and about 240 pounds.

He's 26 years old.

He sure has looked impressive at the 2002 World Championships and the 2004 Olympics.

2. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

this brings an interesting point... can we trade away a TE when we are getting no salary back in return (e.g. the RIGHT to sign a player)?

3. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

They can always have Spurs sign him first and do a S&T.

From what I read about Scola's scouting report, he is a skilled but not an extremely atheletic player and isn't a great rebounder.. maybe I'm wrong, but he reminds me of Juwan Howard.

4. TracyMcCrazyeye

5. lex13

lex13 Member

6. Rockets Dynasty

A lot of people think he's better than Nocioni.

7. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Nocioni is a wing. Scola is a power foward. I don't see how one could compare who is better or not. If I were to pick between the two, I'd take Nocioni. He's athletic, smart, a good defender, and he's got a serious mean streak, oh and by the way, he's done all of that against NBA players.

8. lex13

lex13 Member

I found his stats posted on TAU CERAMICA team site.
    HTML:
    http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=AJG
    This is same team that Tiago Splitter plays on. He averaged 9 rebounds in final 2 games of the "Final Four" Euroleague competition and 6.5 rebounds during their regular season playing 31 and 28 minutes respectively. Not sure how those numbers translate to NBA.

9. Rockets Dynasty

I guess what I meant was in international competition and on the Argentinian team, Scola was considered the 2nd best player after Manu.

10. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

A lot of people think Scola is the best big man in Europe, the Rockets would be lucky to get him.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He gave Elton Brand fits during the World Championships. He is tall and can score around the basket.What concerns me is why are the Spurs willing to give him up? Has he gotten worse with the passage of time? His long contract with buyout problems doesn't help either.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

...and if he's any dadgummed good at all SA will take a #2 in an SnT and send him 200 miles down the road???

13. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

So that means his jump shot range is about 11 foot and it is about as flat as a pancake most days; he brings a matador cape to work with him, and gets stuffed by better players around the rim.

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

the spurs reportedly want a 1st round pick for him, and no one is biting. as for him being the best big in europe, that honor belongs to vujcic.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sounds reasonable, we don't use our first round picks....and we need PFs...let's take a chance to WIN NOW !!!

DD

16. Rockets Dynasty

We will see in 2006 World Championships if he is still the best big in Europe, in 2004 Olympics he pretty much made that a fact.

The Rockets would make out nice to pick him up at $10 million and a future first round pick.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Got to credit RD....he called it early last year too.

DD

18. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

When I read the title of this thread, it scared the hell out of me, LOL.

I thought it was a recent thread saying that we signed him to the Rockets, but he wants to be traded.

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

LOL Me too!! I about died!

Nice Job RD, almost to the day a year later he's mere papers away from being a Rocket.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well it looks like a blind squirrel found a nut.