1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola: If Only Yao Ming is Still With the Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Mar 21, 2008.

1. pryuen

pryuen Member

This is from Luis Scola's latest entry in his personal blog on sohu.com.

I don't know Spanish......

But based on the Chinese translation and the use of Spanish to English translator, what Luis Scola was basically saying:

• The winning streak of 22 was out of everybody's logic and expectation, but short as a gust of wind
    • It was now snapped when the Rockets were beaten by Boston Celtics, which was just too good and too much for the Rockets
    • And the loss to New Orleans Hornets was due to they played much better than us, and luck was no longer on our side
    • Hope everything will be different (and resume back to order) when we meet the Golden States Warriors tomorrow
    • Hope Carl Landry can play, as he has become very important to the team
    • But nothing can compensate the loss of Yao Ming to injury
    • If not due to his injury, if Yao Ming is still around, then no one needs to worry about anything. Everything will become so simple and easy, and he will take care of business
    • Even though the opponents of the future 14 games are very strong and it will not be easy to win over them. But please have trust in us, as we have transformed into a strong team, and we are ready to compete in the playoff

2. MYM[Moon

MYM[Moon Member

till the finals...

3. yulenice

yulenice Member

go go go fellow the wind

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

we're automatic contenders next season.

no doubt.

5. BlackSombrero

BlackSombrero Member

A more direct translation:

The streak has been stopped…

Well, logically, the streak has been stopped, 22 games is a lot and it was beautiful while it lasted…Unfortunately, Boston was too much for us and so was New Orleans, there is nothing to say, they played better and we haven’t had our day, I hope that tomorrow in Golden State that everything will be different.

I hope that tomorrow Carl can play, he is very important to us, more than ever now without Yao…Yao!! How I miss him!!! Everything was much easier with him on the court, I still can’t stop thinking in what would have happened if he hadn’t gotten hurt…but that’s how this business is…Besides, I have much confidence in this team, I believe we’re at a level to go very far, what we need to do is work very hard in the 14 games remaining, not so much as to just win games but to create a solid team, so that no matter who we matchup in the playoffs with, we’ll be ready to compete.

Luis

6. GATER

GATER Member

Way too far in the future for a "no doubt".

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

We'd still be on the winning streak if Yao never got hurt.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed. This should be a fun summer in the NBA.

9. Panda

Panda Member

I miss Yao. He just played, and played.

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

assuming all our main pieces come back - and ignoring injuries - you dont think this team will be considered a real contender from the getgo?

11. pryuen

pryuen Member

Thanks for the translation..................

Obviously, this is a much better one. :eek:

12. RocketTilIDie

RocketTilIDie Member

thats all ive been saying since he went down

if only yao was still playing...dam this **** fukin sucks :(

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

If only Yao were healthy...I agree, but he's not and I do believe we can get it done...

14. bladeage

bladeage Member

All Your Yao Are Belong to Us.

15. Cohen

Cohen Member

Just an aside... seeing only 14 games remaining... I mean I love the post-season, but despise the off-season. :(

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Disagree completely, this year's team is like the one in '92-93 where the Rockets learned how to win and once Yao gets back they will take off.

I expect a number 1 seed next year, and a team that works hard from day 1.

DD

17. rocketsmetalspd

I agree with your statement that this team is getting know how to win like the 92-93 team did and we all know what happened the season following the 92-93. :)

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Pruyen is now translating spanish too. :). way to go!

I'm sure Yao would make it easier... we will yao more in the Suns game.

19. GATER

GATER Member

First and foremost, we're closer to the beginning of this season than next years' playoffs. My guess is either of you would have bet big chunks on 56+ wins this season. How did that turn out? (They'll have to go 10-4 for the rest of this season).

You're views are both largely built upon two things. An assumption of 70 games each from both Yao and McGrady. You don't have history on your side.

The second fallacy in both your logic is that the 22 game streak somehow validated something. I never drank that Kool-Aid. It was a House of Cards waiting to implode. Even Scola's comment referenced it as "luck".

The last piece you both choose to ignore is how much tougher the WC will be next season. 3 decent WC teams...SAC, POR & DEN are going to the Lottery...POR will have Oden, SAC can SnT Artest and the Nuggs have two stars who just have to learn defense. DEN would be a prime place for JVG if they fire Karl.

I won't even get into the myriad of coattails riding FA's who will want to play with Duncan, Shaq/Nash and Kidd. Or that Cuban will be out there taking risks. Or that the Clipps will have both Brand and Livingston back. Or that MEM will have 2 first rounders, Mike Miller to move or keep and $11m of Kwame's expiring.

Way too early to pen in winning the 2009 WC Finals.

20. mogrod

mogrod Member

This is what I hate about this season. No matter how far they go in the playoffs, anything less than winning the championship, we'll have a HUGE 'what if' factor to the results.

They lose in the first round or even lose in the Finals, how much better would they have been with Yao?

Just brutal to think about.