1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luhnow Interview on Sign Stealing Scandal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by marks0223, Oct 18, 2020.

1. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Bring him back!

mikol13, Stephen66, AB423 and 3 others like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I have been pretty strong in my opinion that there’s no way Luhnow would return to baseball much less the Astros, and I still would bet pretty heavily against it because it’s just really really hard for me to believe there isn’t still substantial bad blood between Crane and Luhnow. But it appears Luhnow still follows baseball, and at a minimum doesn’t have bad blood toward the Astros in general. And every other person involved in the sign stealing scandal has returned to the game (if they wanted to). So maybe there’s a chance. It would certainly be a story if Click was let go to bring back Luhnow.

phasors28 likes this.
  3. Screaming Fist

I can't see the guy who brought in Dusty Baker to clean up the Astros' image making that kind of move, although it would be hilarious to see the media and fans have fits over it.

4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I would absolutely love if Luhnow was brought back. I have a hard time believing it would happen though.

jklb and eliefor3 like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lunhow is in the soccer business now. Obviously things can change but he’s got no interest in coming back to baseball. It’d be amazing to have him back though.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. ktex

ktex Member

There is zero doubt that Jeff would come back if afforded the opportunity. This is still, almost completely, his team.

7. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Pitchers
    Montero
    Stanek
    Pressly

Position Players
    Vasquez
    Dubon
    Mancini

These appear to be the only players on the ALDS Roster who were not drafted or traded for by Lunhow.

Jeff Lunhow has been gone for 3 seasons and is still responsible for 77% of the players on this roster.

The Real Shady and Wulaw Horn like this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Presley was a lunhow guy…

ktex likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would say that Click has as much of a footprint on this team as Luhnow.

Abreu is the only bullpen arm on the current roster that Luhnow can take sole credit for. Pressly was signed to an extension when he would be a FA. Stanek, Neris, and Montero ( plus Maton and Smith) were brought in. Hunter Brown was developed from a marginal prospect since Click took over.

Gurriel, Maldy, ( Castro and Brantley) were FA and signed/resigned by Click.

Vazquez, Dubin, and Mancini Click traded for.

Meyers, McCormick, Hensley, and even Pena were non prospects or marginal prospects who developed and became much more valuable than expected under Click's Organization

That's 14 of current 26.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Meant Neris

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I’ll 100% give you the bullpen

Clicks biggest move though has been locking up Alvarez to that longterm deal. So I’ll Lunhow and Click share that one!

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Locking up Yordan was great for Click.

He may never have to buy his own drinks in Houston for years, lol.

But that didn't impact the current team at all.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cough Altuve cough cough.

14. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

What about him?

I think Atluve might have been found by Tim Purpura or Ed Wade. Definitely not Lunhow or Click.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Click's best moves are re-signing Verlander, extending Alvarez, and the moves he didn't make. There is almost no chance the Astros wouldn't have traded away someone from the farm that has been good with almost any GM other than Click. Click may lose his job because he believes in this team.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

That last sentence hit different.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You listed players that weren't traded for or drafted by Luhnow (i'm assuming not signed as an IFA as welll). Altuve belongs on that list.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Aside from trading for Vazquez/Mancini and acquiring Dubon for nothing, Click has:

Resigned Maldonado and Gurriel
    Bet on Pena
    Bet on Chas and Meyers
    Bet on Hensley
    Extended Yordan
    Resigned Verlander
    Bet on Hunter Brown
    Signed Stanek
    Extended Pressly
    Extended McCullers
    Traded for Montero
    Signed Neris
    Chose the pitching coaches when Strom left

Click’s fingerprints are all over this playoff roster and last night’s win. He put pen to paper on 10 of the 14 position players on the playoff roster and 7 of the 12 pitchers. And even the guys he purely inherited many GMs wouldn’t have kept; he easily could have shipped out Javier or Garcia or Urquidy or Abreu or Framber before they blossomed. Being smart enough to not overhaul the roster and bet on the right prospects is huge. Click has been an extremely good GM so far and if he and the Astros part ways then I think Click will find another GM job very quickly. In fact, the only guys Click can’t really claim any measure of responsibility for are Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, and Aledmys Diaz.

#358 Snake Diggit, Oct 12, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Click may lose his job because he believes in the team Luhnow put together. Very true.

ktex likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Correct. Click could have made a bunch of trades and reshaped the roster, and people would applaud him for the team being a 99-win team with less of a chance to win the World Series (or they would have hated him for trading away good players). Granted, most of the value that he used in those trades would have been obtained by Luhnow.

No matter what Click did, the majority of the value of the team would have resulted from value that Luhnow had initially obtained. Trusting this team was the right decision.

#360 Joe Joe, Oct 12, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    sealclubber1016 and jiggyfly like this.