1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luck in basketball now days

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by KingLeoric, Jan 6, 2019.

1. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I feel the luck is playing way too big of a part in basketball now days. It is making the games less fun to watch.

Good offence used be about creating high percentage shots. These days every team, every player is taking more and more low percentage high reward shots. Don't get me wrong energy, rebounds, fastbreaks etc are still important, but the luck around 3pt shot is playing so big of a part it is overshadowing other aspects of the game.

The same player can take the same quality of shots from beyond, shoot above 50% on one night and below 30% on another, even if you are a historically great 3pt shooter.

A typical night, a team is playing good basketball as long as your 3pts shots are falling; if they are not falling, timeout and take a break; after the timeout, play the same way and if your 3pts are falling, congratulations you are now playing good basketball; if they are still not falling, take another timeout and repeat.

A couple of made 3s on one side and missed ones on the other and suddenly there is a double digit lead.

I would much rather see a team win because they played harder and smarter instead of because their shots were falling and the other teams were not on that night, which I feel is happening way too often now.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think you probably have it completely in reverse. Luck has never been less of a factor. Everyone is playing based on more information rather than erratic gut feeling.

xaos likes this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised "moar midrange" post