1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luc Mbah a Moute to Clippers (1 year, $4.3M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2018.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If your only goal is beating the Warriors, and you won't pay to keep your defensive anchor, and it wasn't even a long term deal, what does that say about Tilman?

Given Ariza's comments, I doubt this was a matter of a few bucks. Sounds like we very much low-balled him. And that's fine...I wouldn't want to pay Ariza that much either, but I just also don't want to hear how the luxury tax is not in the equation. It obviously is.

da_juice and YOLO like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

definitely. it was something along the lines about all you want to feel is valued. which means he probably wasn't even offered tucker money

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wasn't that concerned when we lost Ariza due to the fact Luc has a close relationship with CP3 and I assumed we'd be bringing him back and that the Rockets had something else in the works, like perhaps an Anderson for Bazemore swap.

Now I'm very concerned. Our team defense was dependent on 4 players really. Two of them are gone and there is a rumor Capela will take the QO and that he is very upset with the Rockets front office.

Melo for the minimum sounded great if he was going to be filling in that Joe Johnson role. If they're really planning on starting Carmelo Anthony and backing him up with James Ennis I just have no idea how we're not taking a major step backwards next season. Melo will be unplayable vs. the Warriors.

B-Bob, da_juice, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Or you could have been under the cap and signed Paul/Capela after an actual beneficial signing.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I really hope this is not true, and they have other plans. I'm fine with signing Melo for the vet min. But taking up the MLE instead of guys like Luc is something I don't like.

B-Bob and JW86 like this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's been ALL downhill since Game 5.

8. Granville

Granville Member

Looks like we shook our Mbah a Moute.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Losing Luc is a gut punch. Total gut punch. I am pretty sure the Rockets felt like they were going to keep him. Especially since the money is close and they have his non-bird rights next offseason. I figured being a key role player on a contender with all of that would be enough.

Rockets will do their best to recover. Not to minimize Luc, but they can recover from this.

This take from @justtxyank is pretty much my same read on how things went.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

So again we lost out on re-signing a KEY player to chase Melo, really, that freaking loser???!!!? What happened to that defensive strategy, are we going all offense with guys who can't shoot..really a head scratcher, baffling and to say calm down and it's not a big deal is disrespectful to Luc and Ariza alike. Morey can be a cold motha****a for real. Such a dumb, mind-boggling, star chasing Leslie move that I'm wondering if we're really about winning as a franchise.

11. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Nope , pauls cap hold was 35 million. No cap space. If we were under the cap wed be just barely and only hqve the room exception which is less than the taxpayer mle

peleincubus likes this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Got ya, thanks.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I wonder if the team was maybe questioning whether Luc's dislocated shoulder would ever be dependable again. The guy's not young, and those injuries tend to recur. I'd think he'd be especially vulnerable now that it's popped out twice. And we saw how effective a hobbled Luc was.

14. KellyUnchained

damn yall really hate me on this site. whatever gets you through the day man, stay blessed!

malakas likes this.
  15. aroundtheblock2

Where is this being reported? Ariza getting $15 million is nuts. The Suns had tons of money to spend and they wanted to spend it on a steady even keeled veteran and Ariza fit that perfectly. The Rockets weren't even going to be close to that number and neither were any contending teams, so I dont think our offer would have ever mattered.

People here are way too attached to Ariza.