1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LSU fires Les Miles

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Sep 25, 2016.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I can very easily see Briles going to LSU.

If Herman leaves UH, then we might honestly let Todd Orlando take over. He's earned it. Question is who would stay to run the offense?

2. DonnyMost

I can very easily see Briles going to LSU.

If Herman leaves UH, then we might honestly let Todd Orlando take over. He's earned it. Question is who would run the offense?

3. Buck Turgidson

I know nothing about Orlando, what's his CV?

Hire Todd Dodge from Westlake to run the offense. He's a spread guru but loves running the ball, has massive TX HS bonafides, flopped as the head coach at North Texas (who wouldn't?) and then has been working his way back through the HS ranks. He's a really sharp guy.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. DonnyMost

You always always always want a guy with strong TX ties to coach your program, but I'm not sure that a guy like Dodge wouldn't be too much of a rebuild.

Orlando has had a magnificent run as DC all over the country.

First at UConn, then FIU, then Utah State, now here.

Over the last 10 years his defenses have averaged a top 40 ranking.

Reports were he turned down the HC job at Wisconsin last year to stick with Herman: http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-s-Todd-Orlando-reportedly-turned-down-6791106.php

6. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

It was the DC job at Wisconsin. But I think he could probably make a great HC. Herman has already established the culture all he would have to do is keep it going and hire a good OC unless Applewhite stays.

7. the shark

the shark Member

Orlando wasn't offered the HC job at Wisconsin. He WAS offered the D coordinator position there however.

He's one of THE best DC in the country.

8. Buck Turgidson

I forgot about Major, that's why I mentioned Dodge as a possible OC-type. Donny, why do you think he'd be "too much of a rebuild"?

Orlando sure sounds impressive, given what yall and google have to say about him. Is he HC material or just a Muschamp?

Speaking of Wisconsin, holy crap was I wrong about them being overrated.

#48 Buck Turgidson, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

From Orlando's perspective, u just have to ask what is his salary history. Does he want the money?

Houston has had more success finding coaches than hiring staff, historically, and we have been top notch in that arena, but there is something to be said for hiring someone who has watched success and is part of the coaching tree. I'd be fine with that too if it happens. And I'm not so sure that it will. Tom Herman has not given away any clues.

10. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

What kind of clues are you referring to since he's only been a HC for a year and some change.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

There have been no clues. But like in a hand of poker, if you watch closely, if you listen closely, the hand is revealed. That's what I'm listening for. Like I said, when he was asked to compare his players to the p5, he did not immediately say they are equal or better after the OK win, he said they are 5 star and they go to the NFL for a reason. So u look for stuff like that and start adding it up.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Darth_VadEER All-Conference
    You need to let coaches coach and live with the result. That's why they are there.

Do you think Alabama forced Kiffin on to Saban? Hell no.

Once you start forcing hires and dictating how the game is played on the field, then the coach should just be fired.

Head coaches run the program. Hires, philosophy, schemes, ect.

Miles was fired because LSU has inferiority complex over Alabama and that's about it.

https://westvirginia.forums.rivals....comments-from-espn-story-on-les-miles.123835/

13. the shark

the shark Member

I think there's more of a chance we lose Orlando after this year then Herman. Orlando will be offered a head coaching opportunity somewhere after this season (IMO). I know he'd love to stay at UH, but the head coaching $$ may be too hard to pass up.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. AFS

AFS Member

He's earned it. Orlando is a stud and deserves a shot at HC somewhere. Luckily, we've recruited defense really well and whoever take over at defense will inherit a lot of talent.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

If Briles gets either the LSU or Auburn job, it'll prove that nothing changed from the Baylor scandal and that we really didn't need to fire him in the first place. Baylor would be about #2 in the country right now.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. the shark

the shark Member

#2 in the country?
    You beat NW St, SMU, Lamar & an Ok St team that got beat by Central Michigan.

Love that Baylor logic, and Briles getting hired elsewhere won't prove nothing.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Herman isn't going anywhere....

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They would've been preseason top 5 without the scandal.

20. Buck Turgidson

You're probably right, and if they take care of business they'll be there next month.