1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LSS coming to an end

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Oct 14, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

or at least put on hold for the next few years.

[rquoter]COLLEGE STATION – Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne said Friday that rival Texas has informed him that the Longhorns don’t have room in their nonconference football schedule for the Aggies at least through 2018.

The Nov. 24 showdown in College Station is shaping up as the finale for the foreseeable future in the 117-year-old football rivalry – what’s long been considered the state’s grandest football game between its flagship universities.

Byrne also said his coaches in all sports are checking with their counterparts at Texas in terms of nonconference scheduling. So far he’s only heard back from men’s tennis, and the Longhorns have declined the offer.[/rquoter]

[rquoter]"After placing calls to Texas, we have been informed their non-conference football schedule is full through 2018. I have asked our coaches in all of our other sports to check with their Texas counterparts to see if they would like to continue to play in non-conference action in years to come. Our men's tennis coach reported they have declined."[/rquoter]

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Let the peepee games commence.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The schedule has been out for a long time and the games have been booked. When TCU joined the big 12, everyone knew that Texas didn't have room on the schedule until 2018.

4. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Did A&M indicate they're still going to play the other Texas teams like Tech or Baylor?

Would be kind of stupid for A&M to not schedule *any* Texas teams at all.

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I really don't think it's fair to blame Texas. They are not going to bend over backwards after A&M left the conference. A lot of people wanted the SEC because they were sick of Texas. They wanted to get away. So much rhetoric was about just getting away from UT. You can't talk like that and take action and then point the finger at the school you spent so much time criticizing. "We are sick and tired of your bull **** UT. It's more important for us to join the SEC than it is to stay together with you after 100 years. Oh by the way, if you don't want to keep playing it's your fault". Programs don't play each other because they hate each other.

I agree that joining the SEC is more important than staying paired with Texas. I support the move. But blaming Texas here is really not being fair.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

From one texas homer to another, I have to disagree. One of the parties involved here is turning down the other period. You can say that Texas has its reasons or that A&M brought this on themselves but at the end of the day its clear which party is stonewalling this. We're the ones stopping this.

Now you might be ok and think its justified. I happen to disagree but I also know that this is quite common when teams leave conferences. I mean we just saw it with Nebraska and Oklahoma. West Virginia and Virginia Tech lost there's when VT went to the ACC. Penn State-Pittsburgh died when Penn State joined the Big 10.

But still, its our fault this game wont happen. If Bill Byrne wanted the game to happen he could make it happen. Its not unprecedented to change your schedule and drop a team down the line.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

like how tech always dropped TCU annually.

Dunn as for the op too bad, it a a fun rivalry. going to be Hell of game this November.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I agree. UT could make room if it wanted...it obviously does not.

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I have no problem with UT not wanting to play, but at least borrow Bevo's balls for a minute and just come out and say that.

Interesting article from last year ...
    http://www.statesman.com/news/local...s-more-nuanced-than-horse-trading-757857.html

According to Powers ...

So what changed Mr. Powers? You didnt get what you wanted so you took your ball and went home. Just say it like it is!

10. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

Atleast when the aggies were losing in the Big12 they still had a marquee game on Thanksgiving to fall back on. Well not anymore. Poooor aggy

11. RocketManJosh

Lol ... Check out the Texas home schedule next year (Wyoming, New Mexico, Iowa State, Baylor, Mizzou, TCU)

It needs A&M more than A&M needs Texas

A&M will have several marquee games without Texas ... We'll be just fine

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Bevo has no balls. It is a steer.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

if someone told me i had an option to go to college station once every two years or not at all, i'd choose the latter every time. :)

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

So somebody tell me how Texas was going to schedule the Aggies until 2018? Does Texas break a contract with a OCC team?

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

sounds like a quote from last year. are you really asking what changed? really?

16. RocketManJosh

Yes, it was pretty much the exact same situation (except for that was after we decided to stay in the Big 12, and he didnt want to sound a like a loser that would have taken his ball and gone home).

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

calling this the same exact situation is like saying chaz bono is pretty much in the same exact situation as he was when he was chassity bono.

18. RocketManJosh

You mean like A&M leaving and Texas keeping the conference together even if A&M left? (Exactly the scenario Powers was talking about in the article)

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

That is okay, the old A&M vs. LSU rivalry will finally be back. LSU really needs another Kentucky to beat up on.