1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry's improvement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Forget about the All-Star game though it wouldn't hurt for Kyle to get the well deserved exposure. That's not who Lowry is, he is humble and one of the hardest workers I have ever seen. He is the not the most tallest, came in the league with the 24th pick and no outside shot.

No 3pt shot ? No problem! He just worked on it so hard and it's definitely looking like 2nd half of last season wasn't a fluke. The other parts of his game were already well rounded and being a hustler who is willing to do it all, can go a long way. He finally became the leader last year and it's paying off big time.

If keeps this up and avg 18/9/7 there is a case to be made for most improved player and finally to be named amongst the elite PGs in today's game in CP3 and Deron. The 7 rebounds per game stands out as you would have to go back to the 60s to find a PG with his height to average this much (per Bill Worrell).

Now in making the case for MIP, let's look at how so far he has improved:
    - Assists: 6.7 to 9.3 - +2.6
    - Rebounds: 4.1 to 6.9 - +2.8 (defensive rbs almost doubled)
    - Steals: 1.4 to 2.0 - +0.6

Percentage wise:
    - FG: .426 to .443 +
    - 3P: .376 to 4.17 + (already increased 10% last year)
    - FT: .765 to .894 +

The only negative is with Lowry having to carry so much load he's averaging 3.5 turnovers a game, 1.4 increase from last year but is still almost 3:1 TO ratio. In comparison that's still better than Deron, Rondo, Kobe, Ellis, Lebron, Rose & Westbrook.

He's having the highest PER (doesn't mean that much to me but since it is used and respected), most rebounds, third in assists and fifth in steals among point guards. If he keeps this up and not mentioned among top 5 PGs in the league, I don't know what will.

One last thing to consider is his clutch shooting and ice in his veins when shooting threes at the end of games. He can bring us back single-handedly but most of the time we end up losing or it's just a tie or giving us a lead (like last night's three to put us up 97-95).

I am amazed RA last year didn't make plays for Kyle in the clutch and hopefully McHale will not repeat the same mistake. This is also Lowry's fault who I think is holding himself back by being too humble and just wants to do to win, not necessarily take it upon himself.

That is hopefully starting to change as may be evident in his comments after tonight's game: “I was shooting it no matter what, I was thinking two-for-one, trying to get a shot up." However he also said: “We got the win...I did what I had to do to help my team get a victory.”

This is good for the team but the way he is carrying the team at the moment, and trust me that if it wasn't for Lowry, we could easily be 1-12 / 2-11 right now, there's no way he can't let it get to him a little bit and realise he is becoming a star and should want to make the big plays.

He doesn't have to, but it would help with recognition of the whole nation and the Rockets' image as a place people want to come with a starting PG like him. If he can have a few game winners and buzzer-beaters to make the highlight-reel that would be a huge bonus.

It is happening in front of our guys so take notice, Lowry is going to be a star if he keeps this up and hopefully attract some talent to want to play with him. The only downside is if we start to go on a winning streak and have a nice record by the deadline, we might make a trade to increase our chance to make the playoffs which would hurt our chances of a top pick to get a Sullinger, Barnes, Davis or Rivers.

2. AFS

AFS Member

I don't think anyone really cares about MIP winners. It's all-star or bust for me.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

MIP is a curse.... Aaron is in China, and Bobby Simmons is in the Dleague
    Boris Diaw is fat and Kevin Martin has never been an allstar

4. rockets06

rockets06 Member

Pretty good read!! For me it's all-star or bust as well, could care less about most improved nobody really cares. Also I believe your right about making changes to help us in the playoffs so no top 10 pick which I wouldn't mind if it's getting rid of dead weight. But if we could add a guy like Leonard to help in the front-court that would be just as good with Motiejunas coming in.

5. dd89

dd89 Member

I am just absolutely amazed at his emergence. It is proof that hard work and effort does pay off. I absolutely love his attitude aswell, the "do whatever it takes for a win" whether it be taking the last second shot, or assisting his teammates. He is a real winner and inspiration and I hope he stays a Rocket for a long long time.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Amazing that Morey got him for Alston. I remember, Morey had him ranked near the top of the draft, and when we traded for him a lot of fans were upset.. You never know what will happen.

7. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

This is why reading things such as "Fire Morey" are so ridiculous. As for Lowry the guy is playing out of his mind i just hope it continues.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People were upset because we traded our STARTING PG for a BACKUP PG on Memphis, which was still a pretty crappy team at the time. On paper, it looked like Morey got fleeced and even the media was like "WTF?!?" Ironically, we had been constantly trying to rid ourselves of Alston each season prior to the trade. I personally rejoiced.

9. That's Turrible

I think its more 50/50. Other MIP's include T-Mac, Zach Randolph, Kevin Love, Jermaine O'Neal, Monte Ellis, Danny Granger etc. Besides with Lowry he has become significantly better each year.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If morey had lowry near top of draft, why he didn't push for that 20 ish draft pick in the rudy gay trade? He act like memphis did us a favor when they took swift and the 8th pick for battier. If you go back and read this board, a lot of people were trying to get lowry here or ramon sessions for awhile. Everyon knew rafer was garbage. Morey lies a lot too.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Did Morey ever say Lowry was near the top of their draft sheet?

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

A lot of people think Deron Williams is a superstar. How much better is Williams than Lowry?

13. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Now everyone loves Lowry. Everyone was complaining that we paid him too much. -__-

14. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Not at all better. The onpy thing he's had over Lowry the last couple of seasons was shooting, not anymore.

15. what

what Member

Lowry reminds me of Sam Cassell. All the sudden Cassell got really good. They have a similar game as well.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey wasn't the guy on the phone making the deals I don't think. All we know is that he said make a trade for Battier. The actual handling of the trade itself, presumably, was in the hands of Carroll Dawson.

And I also never heard that Lowry was at the top of their draft board.

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I hate Utah as much as the next player, but Lowry was nowhere near the player DWIll was since he's been in the league. This year is the first year its even been close. DWill averaged dbl digit assists multiples time, Lowry has never done that. Lowry has never been the shooter Dwill was or the scorer.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Morey never said he had Lowry ranked high on his draft board, there were a lot better players in that draft than Lowry.

DD

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is simply untrue.

At worst, Kyle Lowry was the 6th best player in that draft.

Personally, I would rank them like this as of right now...

1. Lamarcus Aldridge
    2. Kyle Lowry
    3. Rajon Rondo
    4. Rudy Gay
    5. Andrea Bargnani
    6. Brandon Roy (Only because of injuries, or else he would likely be #1...)

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We are talking about when he came out, come on now, let's just enjoy Lowry for what he is and stop making **** up.

DD