1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry reportedly asking for 10-12M per season from Toronot

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, May 22, 2014.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That seems very unlikely. That won't clear the kind of cap space you need to sign Melo or Lowry/Deng.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The cap is projected to go up by I believe 5 million and Garcia just opted out as well. Posters have calculated about 19 million in cap room by dumping Lin, Asik, and DMo as well as this years pick.

19 for Melo or 10 for Lowry 9 for Deng.

3. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

That's more than fair for him. He's a top 4 pg in the league.

4. Gri

Gri Member

It's amazing that how little you know about salary system. You can't just dump contracts. You don't have unlimited amnesty provision. You can buy out a contract, which stikk take space in your salary or you trade for exceptions and then you'll have more room.

And btw, if a team is under salary cap limit, it won't have full MLE, just half.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yes, moving DMo, pick and maybe a few other pieces would put it slightly closer.

But other teams will likely offer Melo full max, which is 22 mil + for his starting salary, and the Knicks will offer big raises and an extra year on top of it.

People took paycuts before, but this would be the biggest paycut that I can think of. I remember Dwight, LeBron, Bosh, Arenas, Ilgauskas, Iguodala declining richer offers and signing for less, but Melo's paycut would be much bigger than any of them.

I think Deng rejected a 10 mil a year extension earlier this year? He was asking for 14 mil. He probably won't get that much but 9 mil seems low.

I think it's unlikely that the Cavs and the Raptors don't top those Rockets offers. So you'd need them to take paycuts, likely substantial paycuts.

I could see the Rockets unloading Asik/Lin and going after just Lowry, or going after Love in trades, or going after Love, Millsap or Dragic in free agency next summer. I think those would be more reasonable, realistic plans than asking people to take big paycuts.

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He's talking about trading them to teams with cap space.

7. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

Lowry and Millsap would be perfect. Shores us up at 2 positions and our offense would be unstoppable. I'd be willing to part with lin/jones/asik/dmo and picks, whatever is necessary. Lowry/Harden/Parsons/Millsap/D12 would be best starting 5 in the league.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If you put your house on the market for lets say $220,000, does that mean you are REALLY expecting offers to be $220,000??? No, that means the comps in the area are probably closer to 200K or below.

Lowry's people coming out and saying they are hoping for 10 to 12 million a year means that they really see the market for his services being slightly lower than this number, and (most importantly) they probably have a good indication that Toronto's initial offer will come in significantly lower than that. Toronto's initial offer will be the starting point, and from that point on, Lowry needs other buys to come available to be able to bump the number up to where he really wants to be (which is obvious above 10 mil a year).

How many serious buyers are out there for a starting PG????

-Houston?... (can they create the cap space?)
    -Toronto..... Yes
    -Dallas?....(Are they gonna pay Calderon that much to be a backup?)
    -Lakers?.....(Will they go young & do they want to use their cap on Lowry?)
    -Miami?......(Can they create the cap space?)
    -Milwaukee (wouldn't they rather go young?)
    -Knicks.... (Can they create the cap space?)

Lowry needs at least 1 more buyer other than Toronto to get that price bumped up or Toronto is going to get a bargain.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The Boston scenario has been posted several times already the Celtics SB Nation blog has a full article on it. You're not dumping or amnesty you're trading to Boston who has a 10.3 million TPE and Keith Bogans 5.3 million non guaranteed contract.

But yeah I don't know anything.

10. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think Morey is more concerned at this point about getting his team to win than worry about financial flexibility. He has arguably the best Center and best Shooting Guard in the league. He needs to get more defense in the paint and a player that can keep up with this young squad on the break. Smith can hang with this team and would make them extremely potent on both sides of the court. Seriously, who wants to attack the paint with Dwight Howard and Josh Smith in there? You somehow manage to get Lowry on this team and you've got yourself a finished product. It's Championships or bust.

11. Gri

Gri Member

Well if you think you can combine TPE with a player contract, yep you don't know anything. That 10.3 mil TPE is good for one of them (Lin or Asik). You can't say "hey we still have 3 mil TPE left, let's put that on Bogans contract and trade for an 8 mil player."

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Like I said the minute details are in the article that was posted awhile back. I know trade exceptions cannot be combined with contracts I merely laid out the major considerations of the transaction. By all means continue to trash me if it assuages your own insecurity.

Or you could get just get a life.

14. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

To think we had Lowry and Dragic on the same roster.

I don't understand why Aaron Brooks was out of the league a year after leading the league in 3 pointers made and starting for a team that nearly made the WCF. I'm not comparing him to either and I know he's a defensive liability, but if Kwame Brown is still making $3 million a year, how does Brooks not find a roster spot anywhere?

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Aaron Brooks was out of the league for a year because he signed a lucrative contract ($3M?) with a team in China during the NBA lockout and that contract had no option for Brooks to return to the NBA if/when the lockout ends. China's league required that such contracts be for the entire year because of the fear for a huge number of NBA guys signing with Chinese teams during the lockout and then a mass exodus. They also forbade signing of NBA players under an existing contract who would be obligated to return if/when the NBA resumes.

Remember, the lockout lasting the whole year was a distinct possibility. Brooks was also a free agent with that summer and hasn't made enough money to just chill for a year.

The next offseason, he did get a decent offer from Sacramento, but it didn't work out for him there.

16. Carl Herrera

Instead of actually "clearing cap space" by trading Lin/Asik, it is a better option, and perhaps more likely, for one or both guys to get traded as a part of a package for a free agent player coming in or via sign and trade (or a regular trade).

Specifically, if you create cap space for a free agent, then like the Rockets did this year for Dwight, the team will only have the "room midlevel exception" to work with. On the other hand, if the Rockets traded Lin/Asik for the target without ever being "under the cap," then the team would still have its own full Midlevel non-taxpayer exception and the bi-annual exception. It helps having the extra flexibility when you are chasing free agent role players.

Now, if the target free agent's team don't want to take on Lin or Asik's salary and the team needs to resort to finding third teams under the cap, it would still be beneficial, and financially equivalent, to arrange the transaction as a multi-team trade rather than a trade (or two) to clear space and then a separate signing.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I see Lowry getting this kind of money on a shorter deal. He's not worth James Harden money, but his play as a point guard is phenomenal. Chris Paul had tons of weapons surrounding him, while Lowry made his teammates better and showed his skill set simultaneously.

I hope he gets paid. I wish we could have kept him here, and I don't blame him for not agreeing with McHale. Although Kyle said he was "young" at the time, I think he's giving the "safe" answer as free agency becomes pertinent in his life. It must have been a huge letdown to play for Rick and develop into a great player and then have to come back from the summer and play for a coach with no more experience than DD when it comes to coaching. (Bit of a hyperbole, but really, McHale's abilities as a coach have been discussed by previous assistants. Possibly some of the most embarrassing comments I've read about a coach, and from a coaching perspective.)

I wonder how much more Kyle can do though. What is his ceiling? We all know that his effort is through the roof, his shot has drastically improved and he may be the best penetrating guard other than Tony Parker. People will think he will be slumping if his next season doesn't mirror this previous one. Same with Goran...

All in all, he deserves to be paid at a good price. No discounts. He's one of those players that you don't mind paying because he leaves it all on the court. No Corey Maggette syndrome there.

If I've read Bima correctly, there's little chance in hell that we get him back financially. Even if we had the money, I doubt he would suit up for the coach that ultimately detached his heart from Houston.

18. Carl Herrera

Codman,

Why doe Kevin Love and Dwight Howard like alleged idiot coach McHale? Or do they?

Just curious.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He likes the taste of Milk Hair.

[​IMG]