1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry reportedly asking for 10-12M per season from Toronot

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, May 22, 2014.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Do you even follow the NBA? Here are some people in that price range.

Gerald Wallace 10.1M
    Danilo Gallinari 10.8M
    JaVale McGee 11.3M
    Ty Lawson 11.6M
    Kevin Garnett 12M
    Andrea Bargnani 12M
    David West 12M
    Rajon Rondo 13M
    Josh Smith 14M
    Luol Deng 14.3M

I won't argue that any of these people are underpaid, or evenly adequately paid. But the market is the market. There's a reason why Daryl Morey never gives out contracts in this price range. Nonetheless, it is significantly less than what a "max contract" is worth. Also recall that a max contract is different if you're in your first contract (James Harden, Al Horford) or your second (Dwight Howard, Chris Paul). Or, for that matter, your third (Kobe).

Most "overpaid" athletes in this price range will be in their second contract, as Lowry is going to be. But again, that is the market. There is no reason Lowry shouldn't aim for fair market value. The only players that don't seem to do so are the Spurs (Parker 12.5M, Duncan 10.4M).

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't get the reference, I'm 16.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If we could somehow pull a Parsons/Lin for Lowry trade, and then turn around and trade Asik/Jones/Picks for Millsap, I would be willing to go to war with that quartet as our final group. Millsap and Lowry are both impact players beyond their rep.

Sign a defensive minded SF, and that would give us plus defenders at 4 of the 5 starting positions.

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

You wouldn't need to include Parsons as Lowry is a free agent.

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

You seems to 'v forgot an important thing. : Candian income Tax that can be as high as 50%

If Houston offers Lowery 7-9 million is equal or more than Toronto offering him 10-13million

For Lin, if Vancover Grizzle still in Canada, they would 'd paid him 20 millions

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We don't have cap space. If we could dump Lin without taking any salary back that would be a better option, but I don't see it happening.

7. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Where does this ignorant get his info from? ur crying about lowery getting paid 10 mil while you were cheering for GAY when he got more than max money and Lowery is better then Gay. another fact: Lowery is better then conley, << those are facts

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The thought is dump Asik and Lin on the Celtics who have a large trade exception and Bogans non guaranteed contract.

That's how the conversations of signing Melo are coming around.

But instead of Melo you sign Lowry/Deng.

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Yes. This team needs toughness. We have offense and are up there as a top 4 team in talent already. We need vets and talent. Lowry and Deng are tough, talented, pesky, and hungry to win.

10. Rokman

Rokman Member

If Atlanta really wants to move Milsap over Horford that's fine, an Asik for Milsap swap would be great, though my first choice would still be Horford. I'd even prefer to do Asik/Lin for Horford + Contract Filler to dump. Rockets then have extra cap space to sign Lowry outright.

P.G. - Lowry / Beverley
    S.G. - Harden / Daniels
    S.F. - Parsons / (Covington or Hamilton - whoever develops more)
    P.F. - Horford / Jones
    ..C. - Howard / Motiejunas

The bench gets a LOT deeper with Beverley and Jones on it, not to mention the added experience of Daniels. Cross your fingers on Motiejunas developing more. If we want to be a winning team like the Spurs you have to give your players time to gel.

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If I am Lowry I demand a premium for having to deal with McHale.

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

I wonder if Morey is still looking at Josh Smith and seeking a possible trade for him. though he does not spread the floor well necessarily, he is elite in the fast break and an excellent defender. would be a big boost to our team especially if Lowry was added.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

he is doing hard labor so yeah well earned. and he could care less about how many PGs there are on the market

14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

you've been here long enough to acknowledge that no way would morey take his fat contract. I really doubt it.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When lowry see a bum like Lin get 8.3m for 20 games,he's in his right to ask for more.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What about 8m for 20 games in Lin?

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

be very surprised if he gets anything less than 11m.......

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have Millsap and Lowry at the price of one MAX free agent over a third star at that same price.

Can't see how it can be done though. Both of those guys require us to send plus assets the other way, and the only contracts we can trade to match salaries are Lin and Asik.

I'm wondering if Toronto would have any interest at all in Lin - then we could prepay a lot of his contract so that the payout is less, throw in cash, throw in one of T-Jones and D-Mo, and a draft pick. I am still not sure that would get it done, but it would leave enough over for us to turn around and try to use Asik as a centerpiece of a Millsap acquisition.

IMO to get those two players on this team is worth trading away all our future picks. Millsap expires in a year anyway. Can you imagine Howard, Millsap, Parsons, Harden and Lowry? Wow.

19. Choke

Choke Member

To or not to..that is the question..

My guess is toronot will not.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You're assuming we have 2 stars.