1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry reportedly asking for 10-12M per season from Toronot

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, May 22, 2014.

1. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I admire Lowry for putting in work and getting to where he is at, I really do. He went from back, to starter in Houston, then put up great numbers in Toronto. Now I understand he wants to get paid, crap who doesn't right? Here's my problem though with the 12 mil, if in fact that is what he is asking for. We see it time and time again, where these players have 1 good year, then ask for millions, then they decline. Why is that? Dwill,Ariza,Boozer,Marbury,etc.. just to name a few. There are rare superstars that are worth that money because well, they are rare. Kobe,Lebron,Harden,Dirk,LA etc.. Lowry is not that rare talent to be honest. And as soon as a lot of these players get paid, the hunger to be the best leaves. "i got paid, so time to take it easy".. kind of mentality sets in. If he wants to win, ask for 6 mil and give your team cap to sign another player, because hey you're in the east and had a good run. If you give me 1mil, guess what, I'm making more off that, no rims,no fancy cars, lavish house, im building a business and making that 1 into 2 and 2 into 4 and so on.
    Again, I admire the hard work, but if you want to win ask for less because you aren't that rare, imho.

2. rocketseagles07

Lol @ people being shocked. How much did you think he was going to ask for. Look at other players that are getting paid the same amount and the impact they have on the team. I'd pay that for lowry, unfortunately I think as long as the moneys right(which they said it would be) he's probably going back to toronto

3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Easily worth 10 one of the top 5 PGs in the league

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He just can't defend them very good

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

10-12 to stay in toronto where no one cares about basketball and the team never competes for more than a playoff spot. 8-10 to play in houston with no state income tax and to compete for a championship.

we could very well land him this summer. he's remarked about feeling bad about how he handled the situation and mchale. if he could convince toronto that they should S&T him to houston or he will walk and they get nothing, there is a chance.

a trade with toronto may look like this:

toronto gets: lin, 25th pick, money saving package of (casspi/powell/covington/$3M cash)

houston gets: lowry, novak

for toronto, paying lin $15M next season will be a deal breaker, unless we take on novak's contract while giving them non-guaranteed deals plus $3M cash for a total savings/earnings of around $6M, which brings lin's cost down to about $9M. not too bad for an expiring contract that earned you a first round pick.

6. Mr. Space City

toronto has some beautiful women and a great nightlife. :)

7. joesr

joesr Member

at least Lowry will play consistent D, even when sucking

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

For the 18 million it would cost to sign Melo you could sign Lowry and probably Deng. Use the MLE for a backup PF/C. People keep saying Milsap but Atlanta is not giving him up for Asik.

Lowry/Bev
    Harden/Daniels
    Parsons/Deng
    Jones/Gooden?
    Howard

9. joesr

joesr Member

He isnt guarding that position, he is just playing it, hahahha. People keep thinking his rookie year defence is still there. Not for the last two years is hasnt.

He played defence to get on the floor then left it alone to play all offence and work on that contract!

10. joesr

joesr Member

Asik and Parsons! for Milsap :D

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I think Atlanta would do that but I wouldn't.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Why are you so convinced Atlanta won't give up Milsap for Asik? Atlanta's best player is Al Holford and he is a natural power forward that is tired of playing out of position. Asik is an excellent combo with Holford and is one of the best available centers. The contracts are similar between Milsap and Asik as well... plus Atlanta had interest in the past.

I certainly don't think it is a guaranteed deal but certainly possible, especially if the Rockets are inclined to add Jones or a draft pick.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's worth it.

I know he's a career backup, but I don't see the problem here.

How much do guys like Kevin Martin get?

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is the first time I've seen a FA ask for a reasonable amount of money in FA. I was sure he would ask for the max before settling for something like a 4yr/$45mil deal.

15. downbytheriver

He is worth it, absolutely

A PG in the mold of Zach Randolph, unstoppable when he gets going. His low fg% worries me, but the defense and clutch play make up for it . Still prefer Gogi as a player!

16. what

what Member

There is no way lowry even sniffs 10 million a year. I just don't see it. He is maybe worth 8 million a year and that is pushing it. The guy doesn't play any defense and he is basically a scoring pg.

10 million a year is insane amount of money for him.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Conley makes $8mil and Lowry is FAR, FAR better.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

As always we overrate our own players. Look I love Asik and I'm sure the Hawks would love to have him but Milsap is just a superior player it's just not equal value.

Parsons for Milsap would be about equal value IMO.

19. what

what Member

You're a lowry homer, and I am a conley homer. That said, I doubt that any reputable gm would ever take lowry over conley.

Conley's analytics are off the chart.
    Conley is 2 years younger.
    Conley's per is fraction of percentage points less than lowrys.
    Conley is a top 3 defender at his position. Lowry ain't even top 20.

Stop with the lowry homer glasses and see them for who they are. In every way, Mike is better.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

That's all he's asking for? For a guy who is just entering his prime (PG's have later primes than other positions) and should have been an all-star last year, that's a steal.

Everyone else who is saying Lowry is greedy is just looking at it through rose-tinted glasses. This is the man's only shot in his NBA career to get PAID.