1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowering Cholesterol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swilkins, Aug 29, 2012.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Just eat (more) healthy. If you can't cut all the bad stuff, at least try to limit it. Your health is worth it. Taking drugs/supplements may be the easier way out, but it comes with risk on its own.

I don't do any of this and my cholesterol is 140.

I eat ~6 whole eggs a week. I don't drink soda. I don't eat fast food. I don't eat any kind of sweets or processed food. I eat lots of veggies and fruits. Otmeal, all kinds of carbs (whole grain & organic), nuts, seafood/fish, lean beef. Water and tee.
    I work out only slightly more than the OP, so I'm fairly certain that that's not the problem here.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I eat about 20 eggs a week and my cholesterol is about 140. It's the bacon that I think you should be most concerned with. If you can't cut it out of your diet perhaps try turkey bacon or turkey sausage. I've found it tastes about the same and it's not nearly as fatty.

3. Prince

Prince Member

do you swallow 'em?

4. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Throw a handful of dried fruit in there....

[​IMG]

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Some of the folks here are posting about their diet, and how low their cholesterol is. I'm assuming it wasn't very high to begin with, since that wasn't mentioned, so something should be cleared up. There's a big difference between someone who has a genetic condition causing very high lipids (shorthand for this stuff), like Lynus and I have to deal with, and someone who has relatively minor elevated lipids because of poor diet, overweight, etc., and while treatment for the more common relatively "minor problem" is good to do for the very high genetic lipid condition, those with that genetic condition have to (pardon my French) go balls out getting it down if they want to live a long life. That means statins like Lipitor (what I take), and you just hope you don't react badly to statins, because the alternative is grim.

I take 40 mg of Lipitor everyday, take 2 or 3 capsules of Metagenics EPA-DHA 6:1 concentrated high grade fish oil/vitamin E with mixed tocopherols, one capsule with each meal (my lipid numbers dropped 10-15 points when I added that and dropped the cheap fish oil I was using before). I also take very good multivitamins, and keep my weight on the skinny side. My cholesterol was last checked at 173, and triglycerides were 200. HDL and LDL numbers are excellent. When I first discovered that I had inherited this high lipid problem from my late father, my cholesterol was 640, and my triglycerides were 1200. That's not a misprint. Needless to say, it freaked my doctor out. It was several years ago, and after having gone through years of watching my Dad have multiple heart attacks, bypass surgery when it was new, and taking every experimental drug that came down the pike, pre-statins, you could say that I took this seriously. So that's what has worked for me, and I'm still around cheering on the Rocks, no matter how frustrating they can be. Hope the info is useful to someone.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

uhm...haha HDL of 70 is REALLY good.

60 and above -- High; Optimal; associated with lower risk

Less than 40 in men and less than 50 in women -- Low; considered a risk factor for heart disease

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

diet changes- eat oatmeal. alot, for breakfast. it really really helps.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I knew we had something in common. ;) Actually, I am taking 20 mg. with no substantial side affects. After a surgery that went bad, I had multiple strokes. I lost eyesight in one eye, but I have overcome paralysis. I have lost about thirty pounds mostly from changing my diet. I eat a lot of veggies, salads, chicken, fish, fruits, oatmeal, etc. No more fried, which I missed at first but not now. I don't exercise enough, but I am working on that. Just glad I am still here. I now have thyroid problems but whatever. I used to be very athletic, but shockingly, that doesn't last forever.

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I forgot to add that I also take Fenofibrate 160mg with no side effects. I need to get my numbers rechecked, but last time they were better than they've ever been, and I've since increased my Niacin from 1000mg to 2000mg. So, hopefully my numbers will be even better.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Oatmeal and legumes (chickpeas, lima beans, garbanzo beans) really helped lower my cholesterol a while back. My doctor was about to put me on statins, but I got it down to the lower range.

I've since changed my diet and gone more paleo (more eggs, meat, dairy, fruits and vegetables. less bread, oatmeal and processed junk). And I lost 10 lbs.

I'm curious to see what my cholesterol level is now.

11. Classic

Classic Member

Bout to go eat my eggs for the day. 5 raw whole eggs. Problem with all these studies is that they do not distinguish between eating eggs raw or cooked. The nutritional make up of a cooked egg, especially the cholesterol & amino acids found in the yolk, is distorted vs the nutritional make up of a raw egg.

I wash 5 organic free range brown eggs, crack them in my protein shaker, add a lil scoop of Hersey chocolate powder mix, some raw honey, and a lil splash of milk. Been doing this for breakfast after my workouts about 4 days a week for approx 6 months and high cholesterol runs in the fam. Recent test results show very high levels of HDL, extremely low levels of LDL and a resting heart rate of 42 down from about 58.

Gotta eat your whole eggs raw or only cooked whites but raw yolks are extremely nutritious.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

You're right about the diet. i try to eat healthy like you and my cholesterol creeped up a little and the main change i made was eat a lot more whole eggs.

I can't remember the last time I drank soda or fruit juices. The only "fast food" I have is a subway, chipotle, chikfila (grilled chicken sandwich) etc. I my best to avoid fried food and sugary foods. I just substitute my sugar cravings with fruits.

reason for vitamin d is i had my levels checked and it was below the recommended range.