1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Lower back pain

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Just an update. I'd say im about 70-80 percent recovered. Still a little painful in certain movements, but at least functional. I'm getting ready to start hitting the gym again.

2. body slam

body slam Member

The only bad thing is once you mess up you back you most likely will always have problems with it.

Take it easy at the gym. Don't jump back in where you left off.

3. thejav

thejav Member

switch squats for leg press..problem solved..

4. Falcons Talon

Definitely coming back at about 70%. I'm going to avoid the seated cable rows until there is no pain in my back

5. Falcons Talon

I don't squat because bad knees. Hack squats have been the best repalacement for that. thanks

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

In terms of pure workout benefits Squats >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> leg press

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What do you mean by bad knees? Prior injuries?

8. Falcons Talon

l

Old football injuries+ 44 years old. I have recurring bursitis in one knee and the other other knee has been starting to hurt after a run. I wear knee braces on both knees. After I did some squats, i had trouble, switched to hack squats and i never had that problem as bad. I'm a mess. I know

9. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

You really need to strengthen your core if you want to improve recurring back pain. Good posture when sitting (don't slouch) and walking (shoulders back) are also beneficial to your back.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Ohh...then yea, that can lead to compensation. You probably are lacking some range of motion at the hips, one way or another, because of knee restrictions. So that lead you to use more lower back, as the load got heavier.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

leg press is a lower back injury trap. you are more likely to curve your lower back under a heavier load because you feel "safer".

i believe the hack squats put more pressure on the knees than back squats.

if does right, both has its place. just to argue that one is wayyy better than the other is kind of silly. some people are built to squat..while others with long femurs will have a harder time.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

fixed.

13. ths balla

ths balla Member

bumpin this thread....

Was just walking in my kitchen when I suffered a back spasm/pain on Saturday that has gotten progressively worse, could barely put on my socks this morning and standing up/walking hurts like hell. Had some back pain about a month ago after playing basketball that went away after a week but nothing like this. Do you all have any recommendations for doctors in the houston or katy area that I could schedule an appointment with asap, thanks.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Probably just urgent care.

15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Anyone had experience with spinal fusion surgery?

After 4-5 injections, 3 months of physical therapy, multiple steroid packs, multiple flare-ups over four years, I've finally decided to pull the trigger and opt for surgery. I have almost complete degeneration of the L5 disc, left herniation, and a tear in the disc to boot. Doc said I would see almost immediate relief and I would be able to play basketball in about 4-5 months. This started as a simple hyper extension over 4.5 years ago from a simple stutter step move w/ absolutely no physical contact. It was like my shoes got stuck to the ground but my upper body was like "naw man, I'm going for the slam." I've probably had 10 flare-ups since that time, and I've basically been living with 4-5 level pain every day for 4 years. I stopped taking pain meds, muscle relaxers, and nerve blockers because they didn't give me much relief for the side effects.

My doctor is worried UnitedHealth won't approve the surgery, even though I've seen multiple doctors and gone through multiple alternative treatment options. So I'm a little worried about that. Otherwise, I'm super excited to hopefully feel some relief and get back on the court. Surgery is in two weeks...

Anyone done this before? Care to share your experiences? Specifically, were you able to return to sports?

16. body slam

body slam Member

Surgery should be your last option. Most of the people (not all) that I know that had some form of back surgery regret doing it.

Just curious which forms of alternative treatments have you tried?

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Three months of physical therapy, 3-4 cortisone injections, and 1 epidural injection -- and the pain management with muscle relaxers, pain relievers, and nerve blockers. What was it that they regretted and did they have spinal fusion? The disc is completely black and herniating out the left side.

The surgeon I'm using is well respected. He said I should have no problem returning to basketball in 4-5 months.

18. Granville

Granville Member

I was gonna say the same thing about back pain. I started having problems in my mid-thirties.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think what people fail to realize is, it's usually not as simple as an isolated tweak, strain, or whatever.....if you suffer an injury through unexpected contact, like someone bumping you, tripping you, etc...then that may be an isolated case, since the body can't see what's coming and prepare for it.

On the other hand, when you're in control and telling it what to do, how to move, what to lift, etc...Unless you did something really stupid (like adding 50 pounds to your bench max ), it's likely that you got injured because you had a problem with your movement that got exposed on that particular move. So you can have surgery on the disc and rehab that area, but unless you fix the underlying problem, you'll have issues again.

Most people these days will have some kind of movement issue, especially as they get older and rack up life experiences, repetitive/restrictive activities, or even non-activity etc. So if you're not doing corrective work already, then youre likely a ticking time bomb. The only question is, how much time is there on the clock?

I got to the point where I had back spasms and couldnt rund more than 6 mins before i felt this intense ripping pain on the outside of my knee. that was around 26-27 yrs of age...I'm 33 now and probably haven't felt this good since i was a high school freshman, maybe even earlier, and I still have room for improvement. However, i stopped playing basketball, stopped lifting, running, etc..all that fed into my bad movement because at those speeds and force, you can't correct your movement on the fly. Corrective work helps, but if you're doing that for an hour or 2 and then go play ball for 3 hrs, well the brain reverts back to the bad movement because it deems it safer at basketball speeds because it's used to it, so it's a one step forward, two back sort of thing.

This is probably why a lot of these pros can't get past certain issues..they do the corrective work, but then go practice for 3 hrs + and they can never override the bad patterns completely.

#99 RV6, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm dealing with that crap once again, after trying to lift a push chair with the baby in it and forgetting that there was some heavy stuff at the bottom of it, too. But we have this person doing massages (no happy ending) at our company, and that really helped me today. 10 minutes, and 75 % of the pain was gone.