1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

lower back pain?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yuantian, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

well, i certainly respect your opinion/experience, but i would just advise the OP to research the field thoroughly and come to his own conclusion. i have.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I edited my the post you're referencing to include how my primary care physician managed not only to NOT fix my back problem, but in fact created an entirely new stomach problem where once there was none in the process. My point stands that there are bad doctors of all types.

3. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

sorry to hear that.

and i agree. i hear far too many stories of lazy or incompitent doctors giving bad care.

that said, chiropractics aren't doctors and don't go to medical school, which is probably a common misconception (not accusing you of that misconception). chiropractics exist outside the medical profession.

4. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I had lower back problems after trying to squat too much too fast. I couldn't lift for a good month. Few months later, I saw a massage therapist who apparently had experience in chiropractics who fixed it. I think it just depends on your body and how it responds.

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Every chiro I've been to is a Palmer College of Chiropractic grad. I consider that specialized medical school. Maybe some people say it shouldn't "technically" be called "medical" school, but that's just mincing words. It's medical training.

6. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

About 2 years ago I hurt my lower back while doing squats. I actually have really good form on my squats and I was just warming up at the time: I was just using 135 pounds and I felt the pain as I started to go up. It continued to be a recurring problem until the beginning of this year, when I stopped lifting conventional weights and started working out with kettlebells. My back has never felt bad this year.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've had a messed up back for several years now. MRI's show that I have pretty bad degeneration of my L3/4 and L4/5 discs, which basically means there is no longer any cushion between them so it's pretty painful anytime I bend over and use my lower back. I get epidural steroid injections twice a year for the last couple years, and that is the only thing I've found that almost completely gets rid of the pain. They start to wear off after about 2 months, but it's nice being pain free for a while. I've put off surgery so far, but i know I'll eventually get it. My doc has told me both fusion and artificial disc replacement are options for me.

8. Rookie

Rookie Contributing Member

I am 51 and overweight. I have had low back pain and spasms since my early 20's. About 4 months ago I bought an inversion table. A few minutes a day on it and I am pain free. I realize that it may not help you depending on what is causing your pain, but it has been a miracle for me.

9. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i am overweight, and i have never had any back problems... but recently, due to final exams and rockets playoffs, i have put off going to the gym..... that's when my lower back started to hurt, it hurts after sitting for long periods of time, it hurts after waking up, it hurts when i do any type of hamstring stretch/exercise

i am really puzzled... anyone have ANY clue what is going on?

10. aghast

aghast Member

Don't know if this is related, but I get non-activity-specific lower back pain, noticeable but nothing serious, after extended periods of inactivity. It's one of my prime motivators to continue going to the gym and maintain my weight, to maintain lower back strength and avoid that discomfort. It goes away when I begin doing back exercises again, though.

11. stevesazninvazn

Don't forget to keep your lower and middle back strong as well. When people have lower back pain, most of them immediately think of improving ab strength, when in reality, they need to work on their back just as much. The abs AND the back work in conjunction to help keep your spinal cord straight and keep your entire body in concert. A lot of people who only exercise their abs get into serious back trouble later because their backs have essentially atrophied.

12. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

its really weird, but i just started going to the gym earlier this year, prior to that, i have had no back pain experience at all

i have resumed my daily gym regimen and hopefully that'll correct the problem :(